HybridZ

TurboHLS30's '75 280z

Ok we have a problem. The motor that's currently in the car has a problem with the #4 cylinder. The compression numbers in order from fron to back were #1-115 #2-115 #3-110 #4-85 frown.gif #5-115 #6-120. So I guess god wants me to sell this and put the 2jz in the Z LOL. I might still try to fix it and get it running though. What do you guys think I should do?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I redid the compression test with a Mac compression tester and #4 is a little better, it's now at 110 which is within the range of the others so I'll run some SeaFoam through the motor and change the oil and hopefully they will all be bumped up a little. I also bought a new battery which makes a huge difference when doing the compression check.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I decided to do a little work to the Z so I pulled off the plenum and the triples, and the triples are super clean inside and so is the triples manifold. Today I'm gonna pull the exhaust manifold, turbo, and the rest of the turbo associated parts. Then I'm gonna clean and maybe polish the triples and the manifold, and put everything back together once I get a header. I'll post some pics tonight hopefully.

No pics yet but yesterday I pulled the remaining parts of the turbo kit off. There's a stripped allen head screw that's holding the last carb to the plenum, so I have to figure out how to get that out and then I can get the triples back on. The turbo is bigger than I thought it was. I figured it was going to be small like a stock SR20 turbo or something. The turbo has Zero shaft play and spins really smooth. Anyway, I'll get pics of everything this afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...

Well once again the deal fell through. But I have another deal lined up, and hopefully it goes through. If it goes through, I will be trading my turbo kit and triple carbs for a Boostwerx NA-T 2jz turbo kit w/ a Tial wastegate, 3in. downpipe, intercooler and BOV, Forward facing intake manifold, 90mm Q45 throttle body, 550cc injectors, and a 1jz flywheel. I really hope that deal goes through because that will get me a couple steps closer to getting the swap done. On the other hand, my uncle (the one that gave me the 2jz) came up from Ft. Lauderdale and saw that I didn't have any tools to work on the Z so he went and bought me a brand new set of tools. Next time he comes up he's bringing a 5 speed tranny and drive shaft, a fuel rail, and maybe some 300zx twin turbo rims (for when I go 5 lug). He might help me switch the springs too if we have time. I'm trying to have the Z running and driving by Battle of the Imports next year, and if I can get enough work done between now and Christmas, maybe Import Faceoff. We'll see how everything turns out. I'm doing pretty good in school so my deadlines seem pretty realistic.

I'm not sure how much you know about the JZs and their respective transmissions, but which 5speed are you intending to use? I'm a die hard Supra guy, giant pigs that they are, and if I might be so bold, I'll inject a little info here:

There are two that will work on the JZ series, the W58 and the R154. I'm assuming you're wanting to make some horsepower, so let me go ahead and say SPRING FOR THE R154. You'll need to source a MK3 (1986.5-1992) Supra 5 speed and a 1JZ R154 bellhousing. Driftmotion.com (click here for bellhousing) sells these for $350, give or take a little. The W58 will work, but they tend to expire fairly quickly with any kind of horsepower.

I say the MK3 trans because the extension housing on the Toyota Soarer R154 (the only JDM R154) is longer than the USDM version by a couple inches, and I'm guessing that you're going to have some trouble getting it to clear the shifter hole. I'm told that even the MK3 shifter has issues, but it's easily overcome by a little fabbing.

If you happen to need any kind of info, I'd be happy to help, and if I don't know the answer, I know a few guys that are fairly (when I say fairly, I mean extremely) knowledgeable about 2JZs and their myriad parts.

Cheers, and very good work on the car! It's coming along well!

Edited by OustedFairlady

That is good that your making progress.

Just remember try not to half ass your build to make it to the competition.

If it takes 2 months longer to do it right, take 2 extra months.

Keep up your grades, engine swaps can be a little distracting;

I speak from personal experience.

(Reading LS1 Pinout diagrams in Physics class :))

Good luck, remember to take lots of pictures-videos, and update regularly.

Edited by Ironman

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well I'm buying a Mazda Miata in a couple days and I'll be fixing it up and selling it to get money to finish the Z. I'm buying it for $500 and it needs a top, a battery, and a driver side window. I should be able to get 3 grand out of it when I'm done. I plan on putting lowering springs and new shocks, rims and tires, maybe a roll bar if I can get one for cheap, and probably a custom intake. We'll see how it turns out. On the other hand I got my 5 speed for the 2jz, so now I need a bell housing, clutch, and flywheel, then we can start mocking up mounts and what not.