HybridZ

From The Ashes

• 2 weeks later...

Well I installed some new Super Spark coil packs from RAW Brokerage. They have the RB running a hell of a lot better! The difference is very noticeable everywhere. Its idling better, running smoother, pulling stronger into boost, etc.

IMG_03271.jpg

IMG_03251.jpg

Video of stock ecu on new coil packs:

I have an appointment to take the Z up to Orange County to a shop called Drift Speed this coming Friday. They are going to tune my Power FC and hopefully fix a few bugs while getting more power out of the engine. The tuner's name is Koji and according to a few people Ive talked to and APexi themselves, hes one of the top tuners in the country for the the Power FC. Should be fun :D

Took a friend for a spin today and decimated some cocky guy in a Scion TC which was fun, didnt get a chance to film it though.

Edited by jakeoster

Dropped the Z off at Drift Speed yesterday, everything went well and I won't be picking it up till either Thursday or Friday next week.

Koji, the tuner, is a real cool guy that knows his stuff.

He's doing:

Cleaning up the wiring

Checking the sensors

Checking for boost leaks

Checking the o2 sensor and moving it's location to a more optimal location

Installing a wide band if need be

Adding and changing relays to more reliable genuine Nissan ones

Adding in a relay to allow the Power FC to save data

Deciding if my MAF location needs to be changed to a more optimal location

Wiring in my electric fan

Wiring in my Tachometer

Baseline dyno run

Dyno tune

Final dyno run.

Are you still selling it? Was that your manifold on ebay?

Car is no longer for sale and that wasn't my manifold but it will be for sale.

As far as an update, the tuner called me the other day while he was checking for boost leaks and said that there's a weird crack in the compressor housing of the turbo that is causing the turbo to lose nearly all boost pressure. I'm running a MAF so this means that my ecu thought my engine was getting more fuel then it really was causing it to run pig rich. He's also hooked up some things that hindered the VCT from working. He's going to try and weld the crack, if he can't then I'm going to source a good comp housing.

Well the tuner discovered that there was no freaking gasket between the exhaust manifold and the T3 inlet on the hot side of the turbo! This was causing a major exhaust leak and he said it was throwing off the O2 sensor as well as losing exhaust pressure to spool the turbo. He's made a lot of progress and fixed a ton of things. He was able to get the turbo comp housing welded and when he pressure tested it it wasn't leaking, so that's good. Still hoping to get the car by Friday and hopefully nothing else comes up as I'm running out of money! Haha

I got the Z back from the tuner last Friday and the car is running 1000 times better then it was when I dropped it off. However it still has some issues to work out as I could not afford to have him do everything. He did the major stuff and put a nice tune on it.

Made 265hp and 236 ft/lbs of torque at the flywheel.

Dyno sheet:

001.jpg

Cleaned up wiring:

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Not very good quality picture, but shows where everythings mounted. Power FC commander is mounted with an adjustable cell phone holder. The suction cup just so happens to be the same size as the water temp gauge and holds great and is in the most optimal viewing postion. I dont even need that particular gauge as the Commander displays the information (gauge also just so happens to not work anyway haha).

IMG_0364.jpg

To do list:

-Buy and install the correct spark plugs, mine are wrong plug and heat range.

-Extend intake charge pipe and put some bends in it so the MAF can read correctly

-Recirculate blow off valve back into intake charge pipe

-Convert to in-tank fuel pump

-Mount intercooler

-Fix O2 sensor (does not work) Tuner used a wide band to tune the car with and bypassed my stock one.

-Install various plugs and connectors I picked up at the junk yard for the wiring harness

-Other stuff I cant remember at the moment...

Edited by jakeoster

I was wondering how much did the tuner charger you for what he did? Just wondering since I will need a tune soon. Does he tune the Rb if I have a regular S2 ecu or do I need to add the Power Fc on my list?

The cost depends on what comes up. If you have a perfect swap with no issues then a dyno tune would be about $300. My swap had a substantial amount of issues with it that I had him rectify and it ended up being about $1900. I had a cracked turbo comp housing, no gasket between the turbo and manifold, had him clean up my wiring, get my autometer tach working, broken waste gate actuator, relocate my O2 sensor bung to a better location, added relays, and a bunch of other things I cant remember in addition to the dyno tune. Well worth the money spent.

I would HIGHLY recommend Drift Speed (the shop I had my stuff done), not only is the tuner, Koji, very good at what he does and knows his RBs and Nissans in general, but he was very cool and kept me informed without me having to ever bug him about anything. And he owns a 72' 240z himself which is pretty cool. The staff is really friendly and approachable and always answered their phone instantly. The place is just real clean and nice with some REALLY nice cars in the shop. I wont be taking my car anywhere else.

As for your ecu, it can be modified to accept a tune but Im not sure what the tunability of something like that is and I think it would require something special to flash the ecu. You could call or email them to ask them about it and if they can tune it. The Power Fc is a nice standalone and the hand controller is real handy for looking over various diagnostics such as knock and timing. Koji is really good and quick at tuning the Power Fc so its a good option. If you call Apexi themselves and ask them, they will refer you to Koji and Drift Speed. They do tune other standalones but Im not sure which ones.

Edited by jakeoster

Bittersweet weekend.

I put some new plugs in my RB and it's running a ton better! I put in NGK BCPR7EIX with a .028 gap as I had plugs in it that were both incorrect heat range and the wrong plug. It stopped the idle and higher rpm miss and pulls strong.

58c44238.jpg

A few friends and I decided to go for a mountain run and unfortunately one of my friends who was driving his brand new 2010 Subaru lost control coming out of a hairpin corner and overcorrected to keep from going into a 12ft drop ravine. He was lucky not to have gone down into that but instead ended up launching it off a 4ft vertical berm at about 60mph on the side of the road into some brush. The car is pretty much done. The whole front end is gone, front quater panels buckled in, must be frame damage, drivetrain and engine seem to be damaged, and I'm sure the suspension and undercarriage is shot. It was a sad day and weekend.

Kind of puts things into perspective and I know I have learned from it. Be careful out there guys. We, especially on Hybrid Z, have some powerful machines and must respect their power and not go beyond both our and our cars abilities.

Edited by jakeoster

• 3 weeks later...

Sold my fuel cell.

Hbz member RTz was kind enough to supply me with a CAD drawing of his in-tank sump box.

The plan is in-tank sump stock 240z fuel tank with a Bosch 044 pump. Everything will be in-tank and contained looking stock. I'm also going to install a Nismo fuel pressure regulator to hold back the high flow of the new Bosch pump.

Yeah, unfortunately I have to part with the car. I have been presented with an opportunity to find good work that I cannot pass up which will require me to relocate.

Maybe I can manage to build an RB30 or 26 Z in the future when I am making more money and am better settled.

It's been a fun ride!

Car is for sale:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/2690729721.html