HybridZ

From The Ashes

hey did you mount your apexi n1 muffler yet? im curious to see what it looks like on a z. not sure if i like the tip being as big as the canister. i like the hks dragger style but you cant find those anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my radiator mounted in today and got my Autometer speedo and tach in.

It was a HUGE pain in the ass to get those wing nuts off that hold the stock gauges in! I'm sure this is a problem a lot of people run into and what I used was a 19mm 12pt socket and I cut a socket wrench in half to get them off. Hope that helps someone in the future.

32d72a5d.jpg

Edited by jakeoster

hey did you mount your apexi n1 muffler yet? im curious to see what it looks like on a z. not sure if i like the tip being as big as the canister. i like the hks dragger style but you cant find those anymore.

I had a big HKS with the titanium tip on my 280z but I found it to be too big and shinny. Where I live it's a bit of a cop magnet too. I'm going to go with a more oem looking one this time around.

Edited by jakeoster

Nope, not yet and yep I will have it posted as soon as I get it haha. Been swapping emails with Cody from LoveFab about it and he's just been short handed at the shop as of late. I'm very anxious to get it though haha.

While bleeding the brakes I found a leak that I fixed today. I also went ahead and swapped on the new harmonic damper. Didn't put up as big of a fight as I thought it would.

ae05a407.jpg

Basically the plan from here is as follows. I'm going to continue checking things off my list to get it running. I'm not that far off but there are still things to be done. I don't have the capabilities to fabricate a custom fuel surge tank and I can't really find anything that I'm comfortable with. This coupled with my fathers paranoia that if I get rear ended again I'm going to blow up due to the fuel tank has me looking into a fuel cell as a final answer to fuel storage. I have a custom Love Fab equal length manifold being made and am going to continue to collect the parts needed to do a trick turbo setup. Looking to get what I have running for the time being and being real gentle on her until I have all the parts for my turbo upgrade on hand. That's how it's looking so far.

Edited by jakeoster

Why does your father think you're going to blow up from getting rear ended in a Z with a stock tank? That doesn't make sense to me.

I was previously rear ended by a truck in a 280z and it crushed the fuel tank. Full tank of gas drained out everywhere. Hes paranoid about it now haha.

Honestly, I don't think a fuel cell is the solution to your problem. From what I've read, fuel cells are best left to use on track/race cars.

I don't see the harm in one. It'd fix a few issues that I have currently. My return boss is broken off, it's rusty inside & out, unbaffled, won't have to go with a surge tank, leaks gas fumes into the cabin, I can center it better than stock and have better weight distribution, I can easily go with AN fittings, all while being more robust.

On another topic bought a new oem (non N1) water pump. The one I have wobbles and in my haste to see if my RB25 even worked in the 280z I never did get around to replacing it.

Edited by jakeoster

Jake,

Check out Monstzers fuel tank mods. Also WRCBONK did similar tank mods.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

0a14592c.jpg

Got my brand new water pump in, gonna fit it asap. It's a non N1 as I didn't want to get into modifying things and my cooling system has proved to be efficient thus far.

Nissan Part #: 21010-AA527

good to know, i also went for the stock pump instead of the N1. but i did get the N1 oil pump. time to start saving for rims a good clutch. Its sad, you could build a nice turbo honda motor for the price of a good pull clutch.

good to know, i also went for the stock pump instead of the N1. but i did get the N1 oil pump. time to start saving for rims a good clutch. Its sad, you could build a nice turbo honda motor for the price of a good pull clutch.

Yup it's a shame, but an RB is head and shoulders above what even a turbo'ed Honda is in my opinion. Not to mention a four cylinder Honda will never ever sound as good as an RB no matter what you do to it. You looking at a twin disk setup or something?

Been working on swapping the water pump. I've ordered a new timing belt, just going with a new OEM one.

Here's the old pump after I took it off;

d903b4b5.jpg

That looks like a water pump not a turbo manifold ;)

I would like to drive a twin disk before i put that kinda cash down.

I talked to Cody about the manifold last week and a good friend of his was killed in a Rally America race after he lost control of his car. He's helping the family with the arrangements so he's going through some hard times right now. I'm hoping to get it soon enough nonetheless.

In the mean time :)

Water pump done:

2133152d.jpg

78f2172a.jpg

Sucks about his buddy...gj with the new waterpump! I can't wait to see the manifold either!

Thanks man.

Last update for the day,

Modified the stock 240z bell crank throttle pedal to work with a cable. Got it all installed and it works great!

66b31e04.jpg