HybridZ

My 3 inch exhaust install (lots of pictures)

Datsun Deron

Hi all,

Well now that my car is finally back on the road and turbo charged I can start putting some of my documentation on here. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum for contributing and helping out. With out you guys there's no way I would have been able to undertake such a project.

I'll try to make this as detailed as I can:

Materials used:

10 feet of straight 3 inch aluminized exhaust pipe (dynomax) $50

2 - 180 degree aluminized exhaust bends (dynomax) $30 + $30 = $60

6 Muffler flanges and 3 gaskets - $40

Flex pipe (installed later) - $30

I also used 4 hangers and an exhaust reducer for my muffler but I had these laying around the garage

Total cost for the project $180

Time spent 10-12 hours

Materials left over - approximately 5 feet of straight pipe thanks to the extra length on the bends.

Here is what I started with:

e01.jpg

Tools used (and a welder of course forgot to snap a picture of it):

e02.jpg

e03.jpg

e04.jpg

e05.jpg

e06.jpg

How I went about it:

I removed my old exhaust and using the yellow angle tool I measured the approximate angles and lengths that I'd need. Based on that I knew what I had to order for pipe. I didn't actually have the down pipe installed (as it was being built) when I began this project so instead of working from the turbo back I actually started in the trickiest part first. I started working from where the exhaust goes over the cross member. I don't really know what the correct method is but it worked quite well for me. I assembled and tacked my pipes together as I went and once the cross member bends were done I worked my way back towards the muffler. Once I was able to line up with the muffler I tacked it and assembled the rest of the exhaust towards the front of the car and got it close to where I thought it would be. After I got the down pipe installed I was then able to complete the rest of the exhaust. I left most of the exhaust tacked and then welded it all up after I was happy with the fitment on everything. I built the exhaust pipe in three parts so everything is removable. It was VERY tight to get a 3 inch flange through the crossmember but with a little grinding its able to go out and in as needed.

After everything was done and the gaskets were installed the fitment through the cross member was a little tight for my liking. In order to have some give I added a flex pipe which you will see on the "installed" pictures.

Here is what I ended up with before the install, I have labeled the lengths and angles as well. (NOTE: These are all approximate and are by no means exact). (I "stitched" the side angle and top angle photo's together in photoshop if you are wondering why they look a little "odd" as well)

e07.jpg

e08.jpg

e09-1.jpg

e10-2.jpg

e11-1.jpg

Here is the exhaust installed:

e12.jpg

e12a.jpg

e13.jpg

e14.jpg

e15.jpg

e16.jpg

e17.jpg

e18.jpg

All in all it wasn't too bad of an install. I'm not too happy about having to reduce from 3 inch to 2.5 for my muffler but I'm just too cheap to get rid of my Magnaflow muffler and buy a new one. I might change that sometime down the road though. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...