HybridZ

R200 - Need reassurance

Indri

I know everyone here is tired of hearing about R200 swaps. So for that, I apologize. I just need reassurance before I commit to buying parts. I've done my research (thank you search function) but just want to be sure I'm not wasting my time/money on heading in the wrong direction.

Stats: 73 240z, SBC conversion

Goal: CLSD r200 (if I’m lucky enough to find an 88 SS, then a VLSD)

Parts List:

From a 87-89 300ZX Turbo:

Differential

CV shafts (to correct for possible steering issues)

From a 75-78 280Z:

Mustache bar

Differential cover

Yoke (also known as a companion flange)

Adapters from Modern Motorsports: http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=56

Is it really that simple?

If I can’t find an 87-89 Turbo, what other cars came with a FOUR pinion R200 either open or LSD. I’d rather pick up everything in one shot, but if I have to settle with an open R200, then I’d rather it be four pinion. Where open four pinion R200s even used? If not, how much tourqe can a 2 pinion withstand?

Just so you guys know, I hate posting this subject since it has been beaten to death, but I can't move on without having a piece of mind.

Edited by Indri

Yes.

If you get on here and multiple people have confirmed it fit, it probably will.

If you're still scared and need a 200lb torque wrench or a hand, I live in Jasper, I'll come help you with it.

I know everyone here is tired of hearing about R200 swaps. So for that, I apologize. I just need reassurance before I commit to buying parts. I've done my research (thank you search function) but just want to be sure I'm not wasting my time/money on heading in the wrong direction.

Stats: 73 240z, SBC conversion

Goal: CLSD r200 (if I’m lucky enough to find an 88 SS, then a VLSD)

Parts List:

From a 87-89 300ZX Turbo:

Differential

CV shafts (to correct for possible steering issues)

From a 75-78 280Z:

Mustache bar

Differential cover

Yoke (also known as a companion flange)

Adapters from Modern Motorsports: http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=56

Is it really that simple?

If I can’t find an 87-89 Turbo, what other cars came with a FOUR pinion R200 either open or LSD. I’d rather pick up everything in one shot, but if I have to settle with an open R200, then I’d rather it be four pinion. Where open four pinion R200s even used? If not, how much tourqe can a 2 pinion withstand?

Just so you guys know, I hate posting this subject since it has been beaten to death, but I can't move on without having a piece of mind.

That is accually too much

If you use a CLSD R200 you can use stock 280z half shafts w/ ujoints. no motorsports adapters needed, this prob being cheapest route.

If you have a VLSD 300zx SS R200 you HAVE to use the CV shafts and the adapter.

Mag58 - I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunatley, I'm overseas and won't be back in the states until about March next year. When I get back I'll have an entire body/mechanic/restoration shop available for use. I'm just piling up the "welcome home" goodies for now. :D Are there any Z clubs in Indiana? We'll definitley have to keep in touch!

BOOSTDZ - I thought that using the stock 280z shafts led to steering issues. This car will see a lot of track time. I just didn't want to risk it. I'll do some more research on this subject.

I'm not sure why, it just seems too simple. Nothing is ever that simple :shifty:

Edited by Indri

• 5 months later...

Mag58 - I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunatley, I'm overseas and won't be back in the states until about March next year. When I get back I'll have an entire body/mechanic/restoration shop available for use. I'm just piling up the "welcome home" goodies for now. :D Are there any Z clubs in Indiana? We'll definitley have to keep in touch!

BOOSTDZ - I thought that using the stock 280z shafts led to steering issues. This car will see a lot of track time. I just didn't want to risk it. I'll do some more research on this subject.

I'm not sure why, it just seems too simple. Nothing is ever that simple :shifty:

Thats the setup on my car. Works fine. I have never tracked my car though. Yes you are correct putting a r200 in an early body lowered the driver? side is 3/4" too long for proper geometry. I believe this remains for the cv shafts as well though. You have to get it shortened but really... how much difference does it really make being 3/4" too long on one side?

• 7 months later...

That is accually too much

If you use a CLSD R200 you can use stock 280z half shafts w/ ujoints. no motorsports adapters needed, this prob being cheapest route.

If you have a VLSD 300zx SS R200 you HAVE to use the CV shafts and the adapter.

I was doing a quick search and came across this gem. If I use the stock 280z half shafts I assume I also need whatever companion flange/yoke that attaches between these shafts and the differential? If I do need these, any tips for removing these from a car when I go to a junkyard?

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and despite reading ALL of the FAQ's and ALL of the axle threads and ALL of the guides on the different differentials available for our cars, I'm MORE lost than ever. :(

Heck, THIS thread has even gotten confusing... and I've built a LOT of Datsuns!

SO, I hope the OP won't mind me piggybacking onto his thread, because I have a similar issue: Restored S30 with an RB25 swap. Stock diff just won't cut it, but I've got to have something that's better at putting the power down without breaking the bank.

If I score an 87-89 S130 turbo VLSD, what more do I need to buy?

You said you read so if you go down to #4 and look for LONGNOSE R200 on the first post, you should see the list of parts. From what I read though (same paragraph), the VLSD Longnose R200 only came in the 1988 SS model.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

Edited by NewZed

I was doing a quick search and came across this gem. If I use the stock 280z half shafts I assume I also need whatever companion flange/yoke that attaches between these shafts and the differential? If I do need these, any tips for removing these from a car when I go to a junkyard?

They're held in with a snapring, so a prybar or a big screwdriver pops them out. Really though, if you're going to a 300ZX diff, you should take the whole 280Z diff and mustache bar because you need the pinion flange to bolt up the driveshaft and the mustache bar too.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and despite reading ALL of the FAQ's and ALL of the axle threads and ALL of the guides on the different differentials available for our cars, I'm MORE lost than ever. :(

Heck, THIS thread has even gotten confusing... and I've built a LOT of Datsuns!

SO, I hope the OP won't mind me piggybacking onto his thread, because I have a similar issue: Restored S30 with an RB25 swap. Stock diff just won't cut it, but I've got to have something that's better at putting the power down without breaking the bank.

If I score an 87-89 S130 turbo VLSD, what more do I need to buy?

Get the CLSD if you can. I'll have chromoly CV's and stub axles in about a week that you can just bolt in and they will be plenty strong for your RB swap.

You said you read so if you go down to #4 and look for LONGNOSE R200 on the first post, you should see the list of parts. From what I read though (same paragraph), the VLSD Longnose R200 only came in the 1988 SS model.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

My bad, I meant CLSD.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also searched low and high for information on diffs - throughout this forum but cant find a definitive answer.

Im aiming for 500ft/lbs of torque and from what I have read the R200 won't be up to the job but there are conflicting stories. Obviously the R200 swap is much easier than the R230 so would much rather go down this route...