HybridZ

Replacing Pilot Bushing, 83 280zx Turbo

pwill

Just pulled the tranny on my son's 83 280zx turbo to replace the clutch. I would like to replace the pilot bushing as well but do not see a way to get it out. The FSM says us ST16610001 Pilot Bushing Puller. I do not have one of those, of course. Does anyone know what I can use to pull the bushing? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat

find a piece of round stock steel that fits in the bushing pretty snug. fill the bushing and cavity all the way up with grease and peck the round stock in with a hammer. it should push the bushing right out.

I've carefully cut them into two parts by hand with a keyhole saw or just a hacksaw blade. Flip the blade around so your cutting with the outward stroke and some times they'll popout as your cutting. Just don't cut into the crankshaft and blow the chips out. I'm assuming your dealing with the solid bronze/brass type pilot not the roller bearing type.

I've never used the grease and dowel methode but will try that next time. Less chance of damage to the crank.

You have to get a snug fit with the dowel in the pilot bushing, and give a concerted WHACK with a healthy hammer to build sufficient hydraulic pressure. No pilot bushing will resist hydraulic shock, it will come out with a few whacks.

Only time I had to cut one out was when a roller pilot took a dump and welded to the input shaft on the tranny. In that case, I had to cut the cage carrier out. Solid bushings respond nicely to tight fit and thick grease pretty well. If the grease is shooting out all over your hand, you have a poor fit, and a bushing that needs replacement.

That is also where the 'wet toilet paper' previously mentioned comes into play.