HybridZ

My original ride!

cygnusx1

My first BMX bike was an electric blue Huffy with anodized gold parts that had a 3 speed front chain ring.  I broke every part off the blue Huffy, as I got better at tricks, and jumped it higher on the ramps.  Eventually every part was replaced including the frame which became a 1982? (gotta check the serial number) GT made in Santa Ana.  I won a few AMA races on this bike back in the day, and it saw it's fair share of 1/4 pipe action, and ground freestyle, but when I got my drivers license many many years ago, the bike just hung in the garage.  Today, I took it out for a spin after at least 20 years.  After three minutes of bunny hops, endo's and sprints, I was winded!  I used to put about 100 miles a week on it without a hard breath.  Man, I am getting old.  These motorized things really kill us!

I am trying to inspire myself to get on the bikes again.  I need the exercise.

928363183_2fWDY-XL.jpg

Oh yeah, before foot pegs were invented...we wrapped "40 grit" around the rear chain stays and used it to do some tricks. ----Real ol' skool!

928363440_NndEt-XL.jpg

The wheels are Mongoose Drilled rims.  I also have a set of Zytel ACS-Z rims with slicks for it.  Anyone remember those?  You could bend them like a pringles and the wheel would snap straight back without losing its true!

928362584_7YhaM-XL.jpg

Damn, I think I had the same Huffy as you for my first BMX bike. Was the three speed shifter a twist grip? After my dad backed over the Huffy with the car on accident, I got a Redline Raceline BMX and raced for quite a few years. Sadley, though, the bike was stolen years ago.

Damn, I think I had the same Huffy as you for my first BMX bike. Was the three speed shifter a twist grip? After my dad backed over the Huffy with the car on accident, I got a Redline Raceline BMX and raced for quite a few years. Sadley, though, the bike was stolen years ago.

Yes, the Huffy had a grip shifter on it blue grips and I had gold anodized aluminum bars.  I got it at Caldor's.  They cracked at the neck clamp and snapped off in mid air from metal fatigue!  I don't know how, but I landed safely with half a bar.  Incidentally, I had three bikes stolen from me, growing up in the Bronx.  One was a break-in, one was knife point, one was ripped out of my hands.  All before the age of 12. 

Edited by cygnusx1

Oh remember those 4130 Chromed 3 piece Red Line Flite Cranks? oh and the Aluminum "PK Ripper" frames!  It was our eye candy back in the day....that was all out of reach for me.  It took me years of begging and borrowing to buy the GT frame and fork to convert my Huffy.

400flights.jpg

0.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

Man this brings back good old memories of the bmx days. I originally had a diamond back that I mowed lawns or whatever to earn money for. The DB got stolen from my yard and I thought my life was over. After working to raise more bike funds, I purchased a Hutch pro racer and raced that a few times. It had CW bars, MCS neck, Araya rims, Shimano platform pedals, Uni seat, Petes precesion chain wheel, etc.... I will have to search for some pics of those bikes. My life revolved around them as well as skateboards back in the day.

I grew up riding my brother's hand me down SuperGoose which was probably about the same vintage as your GT. It was a pretty good bike, I thrashed the hell out of it for YEARS until I finally hit a car (yes, I hit the car) and bent the fork and broke the front axle. Then I went and bought a Robinson that some guy was selling. He had no idea what it was and used it for his paper route. I got it for $150. Raced that a little bit and also had a Mongoose FS-1 but never really warmed up to freestyle, then a Montagna mountain bike for commuting to middle and high school.

About 15 years ago a friend of mine built a PK Ripper. I guess he had always had a hard on for one and finally had some money so he built one. Peregrine 48 spoke wheels, really nice cranks, pedals with the gigantic spikes on them, the whole 9 yards. It was pretty badass, but I don't think he rode it more than maybe 10 times if that. I rode it down the street and back and just thought that the geometry was all F'd up, but that's probably because I had been riding mountain bikes for years.

Another friend traded some work for a Robinson cruiser with 24" tires about 10 years ago. He and I took that down to the local jumps and quickly figured out that we didn't have the stomach for BMX anymore, although I will say that it was much more comfortable to ride than the PK. We're both pretty good riders on mountain bikes, but that lack of suspension doesn't really work out so well anymore and if you're like us the idea of falling isn't nearly as acceptable as it used to be. I don't know if he still has it, but if he does I'm sure it's hanging from some rafters like your GT.

• 2 weeks later...