HybridZ

370Z Vs 370 Ford

Rolling Parts

I drove a 3.7 v6 Z and a 3.7 2011 V6 Ford Mustang today.

Honestly, the Mustang was on par with the Z and was almost 1/2 the price.

Tomorrow I'll BUY the Ford.

Never thought that the Ford would beat the Z for value.

WHY CAN'T Nissan bet the Z price down to 22K?

3.7L dual VVT cam with 300+ hp in a coup body for a reasonable price.

Screw Nissan if they forgot the 240Z formulae.

As said, tomorrow I'll have a Ford in the driveway...

Agree

Also odd that the 3.7liter Ford Mustang with limited slip diffy and 300+hp is even cheaper than the lowly 2.5L Sentra!

I've looked at cars all week and I was surprised that Ford actually had a cheap ($22K) sporty car that had some huevos.

Sorry Nissan, but you've lost the "value" that made cars like the 240Z great.

As a 35 year Z owner with 3 Z cars it was a real surprise to choose a 300+HP, 6 cyl, rwd, 160 speedo Ford for $22K as a next value care to own.

Actually can't wait till tomorrow morning to pick it up; a rarity for me to get excited about having to buy a new car these days...

Edit" Green Sally up!

Edited by Rolling Parts

Seriously...5.0 Coyote or nothin' ;)

The brand new 3.7 VVT Ford V6 engine is superbly packaged: very clean install with LOTS of room under the hood.

It just begs for an aftermarket turbo or supercharger.

I'm really sure that that 350-380hp would not be a problem at all (especially when compared with the uber-tight 370Z engine bay).

Compare rear suspensions? But jampacked engine bays are unnecessary nonsense and sorry to say but Z cars should not be designed in the US, just like the S30 was not.

Yea, rear has an LSD even on the base model now, coils and bars hold the rear axle.

I drove both the 370Z and the 370 Mustang and on the street they handled real close.

I bought a 240Z years ago because it was a cheap Porshe.

I get the same feeling now that the Mustang is a cheap(but nearly as capable) 370Z.

I've thought about the whole Z vs Mustang value for a while. For about the same price as a brand new 370Z, you can get a 2011 Mustang GT that has about 100 more horsepower. I personally would not be interested in a Mustang, but I still think its an awesome combination of power and affordability. I'm sure it lacks some of the refinement in a 370Z, but its hard to pass over as a serious contender when shopping in that price segment. I mean, the new GT even has a factory option for 3.73 gears and it barely cost anything!

Regarding the V6 powered Mustang...I remember when V6 mustangs were just something to laugh at and pretty much useless as far as any sort of spirited driving. I think Ford has done a great job on changing a lot of peoples minds and really making people think about their engine choice when they're at the dealership.

Value wise with regards to fun factor, I think the V6 Mustang is probably the best bang for the buck in the market right mow.

The brand new 3.7 VVT Ford V6 engine is superbly packaged: very clean install with LOTS of room under the hood.

It just begs for an aftermarket turbo or supercharger.

I'm really sure that that 350-380hp would not be a problem at all (especially when compared with the uber-tight 370Z engine bay).

I'm sure it can! It actually sounds pretty decent too which isn't always the case. And 30ish mpg on the freeway? I'll take one in black please ;)

Has anyone thought of the dollar/yen exchange rate? Think that might have something to do with it?

I did, I was thinking about why Nissan stopped selling you 'murkins the Z32 in '96 despite keeping it in production and sale on the home islands until '99

At long last my largest lament on the Mustang has been remedied.

For the longest time I would complain that the Mustang was a competent chassis, but that the V6 they put in the base models (rentals) was a dog compared to anything else out there (for instance it's contemporary the GM GenIII 3800.)

Nissan put the marketing Niche of the 350Z squarely on the Mustang, and as a result Ford has responded (kudos to them!) to fight for the segment of entry-level Mustangs.

The old RS Camaro was a joke compared to the Mustang, but at least you could get it with the 4.3, and that was decent. The Mustang always suffered anemia. Thankfully not any longer!

As for the cessation of the Z32 in 96, there were emissions requirements that nixed it, plus it wasn't selling at all. Less than 10,000 units (Less than 5K in reality). Terrible sales coupled with rising emissions requirements in mid production cycle means 'no more chips for mr happy'!THE YEN RATE WAS IRRELEVANT---all the lovers of the Japanese Supercars want to blame that for killing the RX7, Supra, and Z32, but in reality that had little to do with it---it was an unrealistic sales model based on volumes that couldn't be supported. Just look to the Honda NSX---the Honda Supercar made it through the decade JUST fine, and only recently succumbed.

At least Nissan learned their lesson, and pegged GT-R sales closer to realistic levels like Honda did initially with the NSX. Had any of the other manufacturers done this they, too would have rode out the 90's like Honda did: selling a low volume nich car for MORE money than any of the others, but which sold steadily and consistently over it's design life.

I have yet to check out the new V6 Mustang, but as you guys say, it seems like a nice package. However, my only gripe about the Mustang is that... well... they are everywhere. To me, a sportscar should stand out, and the Mustang does not do that. When they went to the new body style, I really liked it, until I saw it everywhere. Every other car in the parking lot was a new Mustang. Not even a V8 (when the V8 was the only viable sportscar option, mind you), just a wimpy, rental car style V6. It has become the American 'Honda Civic'. Granted, they must be doing something right to sell so many, but it just screams BORING to me.

DISCLAIMER: Not trying to pick a fight, I own an F-150 and love it, I'm not a Ford hater!

At long last my largest lament on the Mustang has been remedied.

For the longest time I would complain that the Mustang was a competent chassis, but that the V6 they put in the base models (rentals) was a dog compared to anything else out there (for instance it's contemporary the GM GenIII 3800.)

I was testing all cars last week, looking for value. I was not looking for a Mustang AT ALL (for all the reasons mentioned). It was almost by chance that I went by Ford house after driving cars at Nissan & Toyota; and I was not interested in Mustangs.

OK, seeing that the Mustang was a lot cheaper than the Nissan Sentra 2.5 and a LOT cheaper than the 370Z, I thought "what the heck", I'll drive the little $23K V6 Mustangs. The retro font on the 160mph speedo, the old crisp lines of the body, and the surprising 305HP/LSD driveline, and the very simple appointments of the interior all sold me. This car is freekin hilarious to drive!

So I now own a Silver 370 Mustang for less than the price of an econo-box. So sue me.

Edited by Rolling Parts

I have yet to check out the new V6 Mustang, but as you guys say, it seems like a nice package. However, my only gripe about the Mustang is that... well... they are everywhere. To me, a sportscar should stand out, and the Mustang does not do that. When they went to the new body style, I really liked it, until I saw it everywhere. Every other car in the parking lot was a new Mustang.

....and the 350z/370z is not everywhere?!?! :)

....and the 350z/370z is not everywhere?!?! :)

Well, it is, to a degree. I see far less 350z's and way less 370z's, and I'm usually looking for them to some degree. I don't know, does anyone have any idea of actual production numbers? It seems to me that far more Mustangs are on the road than any other sportscar.

Is the Mustang a "sportscar"?

Hell, is the 370?

:huh:

The 370z could have been; it just seems that the instruments are more "game boy" than they need to be.

I'd say that the 2011 Mustang does not even try to be a sports car, juts a return to a crisp, simple car.

Maybe that's the charm I saw in the car was that it did not try to be something else.

It's a lot like my dads 63 Galaxie 500 with the 390 V8, it's close; real close.

Edited by Rolling Parts