HybridZ

Volvo IC end tank woes

WreZ

a friend of a friend got rear ended in his volvo (don't remember model) and was scrapping the whole thing so i bought the IC off him for $10 ($10, not a typo). Well when i got home i popped my hood to check out how i would eventually go about piping and mounting the whole thing. And then i began to regret my deal. The endtank outlets are at the absolute WORST angle for installation (sorry about blur):

post-5235-065303500 1280687761_thumb.jpg

post-5235-064004800 1280687838_thumb.jpg

no matter which way i flip it or turn it either way i'll be forced to use weird angled piping

i was thinking of getting custom endtanks welded on but the only ones i could find were HKS or Apexi and i'm a cheapo and can't afford them and i'm guessing custom ones are pretty pricey as well. Do you guys think i should go and get some quotes for the custom endtank install or just see this current IC and put the cash towards a better one with better inlet and outlets?

also on a side note if people post some suggestions or post pics of their or other peoples intercooler setups i would be eternally grateful

Buy some piping, vbands, a dremel/cutter/chopsaw etc, and a welder and go at it....I/C installs are never "easy" if done right (not using couplers to make up for piping) because that will cause surge, bad vac, popped off piping, etc just need to make sure all of the pipes fit nicely with only 1/2-1inch gap inbetween them so there isnt a big gap that the silicone is "helping" out with.

I had one and got rid of it for the same reason, poor fitment potential. Besides those have plastic end tanks. It wouldn't be worth trying to mod it unless it was all aluminum. My opinion is sell it and look for a better one for your application.

Next time you are at the junkyard look for the intercooler off a saab, they are a fairly decent fit.

Like a 900? Nice Blackstone core but way small and has poor endtank design. Weld two together with good endtanks and you might be okay. One makes a nice paperweight ;)

Or find a different Volvo...

I have 2 Volvo FMICs, they both have inlets at the top. Here is the one installed on my car. I was told it was from a 740.

In my dailer driver Volvo 850 T-5R the intercooler inlet/outlet are at the top and bottom of the intercooler and come out straight like so: 9161091A.jpg

...they are also plastic end tanks, one positive is that the intercooler is really light.

Edited by junglist