HybridZ

What would you like to see in Carbon Fiber...

Mikelly

I'm polling the masses here to see what you guys would like to have on a wish list for carbon fiber interior and exterior parts... Understand that I'm trying to get a concensos of what you guys would buy, and also understand that the matterials are esssppensssivve!!!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest a fiberglass core/carbon top and bottom layers - less expensive and the outer layers of carbon give the benefits the most there anyway.

I'd be interested in a hood, myself. I'd like to see things like louvers at the rear and behind the radiator possibly, to vent the underhood area, if that's found t obe beneficial. The Can Am guys, and Blueoval (here) seemed to think so.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Hi Mike,

I'd venture to say that better than 90% of the members have cracked and weathered dashboards. New replacements run anywhere from $700 to $850. How about a carbon fiber dash - no covers but a real dash replacement! Since Christmas is around the corner that is on my wish list.

Danno74Z

Jeez mike, sure seems like your on the road to a business here!

Honestly, carbon fiber doesnt really appeal to me. This is mainly because the price is just way too high for me. I would be interested in a more basic fiberglass dash etc... but im sure your not interested in doing that.

BUT if i were to buy something carbon fiber it would most likely be a rear spoiler. Nothing monsterous, just something subtle and nice. Havent found something that i really like yet smile.gif

Good luck dude- Evan

Guest Anonymous

I know this is mostly cosmetic but I would like to see the plastic trim rings around the gauges in carbon fiber smile.gif I tried using some vinyl body tapes and it just wasn't flexible enough.

I do think cost, especially among Z owners, will be prohibitive. The cars don't cost that much and there are very few owners willing to dump a mint into them.

Just my 2 cents.

Craig

I'm sorta in the same boat as Evan, outta my price range. If you do get this going Mike, make sure you get it on zcar.com. There are lots and lots of guys there that will go gaga over anything carbon fiber.

Is there any reason that you can't use your carbon fiber moulds for fiberglass parts too?

A few thoughts as to what might sell well:

Door panels - flat and easy to make

Dash & steering column cover

Hood (like pete suggested, with vents)

Rear hatch with Lexan window

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

Guest Anonymous

Center console and center dash (where the heat controls and radio are). Hood would be a groove, but probably pricey as I know the matl's aint cheap. That would be my wish list.

Cheers,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Drax,

Yes, you can use the carbon fiber molds to mold fiberglass as well. FRPs are basically the same when you are using the same resins, such as epoxies, it is just the reinforcements that change (as well as the strength), ie. glass cloth, carbon cloth and kevlar cloth.

The interior pieces Mike and I are considering molding are, of course, purely for the cosmetic appeal of carbon fiber. We have discussed simply using carbon fiber on the outer layer then glass for the inner layers to keep costs down. And since they are not structural pieces there is really no need for "true" full carbon fiber piece. The problem with doing interior pieces lies in creating the molds. That will be something we are going to fully explore a a couple of months. Plus due to the weather it would be near impossible to do any molding because of the temps.

From the start of my project I knew I was going to put a custom dash in my car. I was going to fabricate one from sheet aluminum, for that race car boy look wink.gif but now I would like to pull a mold off of the aluminum dash and mold one from carbon fiber and glass.

Chris

So what type of resins are used with carbon fibre? Polyester?

Thinking about it, Danno's suggestion of a full carbon fiber dash would look so great. biggrin.gif But I'm afraid if you went that route you'd need to do center console too, and then door panels... and all interior panels while your at it. rolleyes.gif

Another thought for a piece: Center console. NOT STOCK. I hate the early Z center console... I'd like to see something a whole lot higher (to use as an armrest) and contoured to meet the dash/heater control area a bit more smoothly. (like newer cars)

interior--2_strt_power_sept_97.jpg

Just trying to put ideas in your guys head, because this is something that I plan on doing "someday". I still haven't entirely figured out how I'd do it though.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

Guest Anonymous

A cheap source for new center consoles would be cool.... Doesn't even have to be exactly like the original, just functional and able to be painted black.

Door panels would be sweet too, new panels are ridiculously expensive and used ones in like new condition are really hard to find.

I wouldn't bother with hoods, that one company already makes one for $200 in fiberglass, hard to beat that price!

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Guest Anonymous

Drax,

Polyester resins are not compatible with carbon fiber, I am not sure about vinylester (sp?), as far as I know epoxies are the only resins compatible with carbon fiber.

I know what you guys are saying about the center console - that would be be very cool!! And if it does not have to follow the exact contours of the original console that would allow us to make a more simple mold.

Hoods, I know what you are saying Morgan, it is hard to beat the $200 price when you consider shipping, etc...for some reason UPS will ship a T56 weighing 145 lbs total from Washington state to Virginia for a reasonable cost but can't ship a 12 lb fiberglass hood - go figure!!

I really want a one piece front end on my car but don't want the hood attached. One in carbon fiber would be stiff compared to fiberglass, although not that much different in weight.

Any other ideas, suggestions, etc...you all can come up with will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

you know, if you end up taking the time to redesign the center console, would it be possible to design in a double din opening? is that possible to do with the supports available?

Guest John Adkins

Hmm, all this talk of carbon fiber got me thinking (uh oh..) What about some "simulated" carbon fiber parts?

Maybe:

(a)is it possible to dye normal fiberglass cloth ( which is usually white)black with fabric dye and use that instead of carbon fiber?

(b)what if you used normal fiberglass cloth and added a black tint to clear polyester resin for a "smoked" effect?

Just some crazy ideas....

I do cost estimating for specialty construction firm that works in a lot of custom fiberglass components and the problem with any limited production run is the initial tooling or mold costs. Mike, we have a really talented mold maker on staff who might be interested in a little side job. Just food for thought.