HybridZ

What would you like to see in Carbon Fiber...

Mikelly

Guest Anonymous

A non-stock center console would be ok, it could be more rounded on the edges if thats easier to lay the matt in the mold, also as someone said higher in the back where the armrest could be incorporated. Maybe a little less obvious of a fuse panel door, but thats a personal preference.

Lone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a dash, although it would probably be too expensive for me...I would like to see some functionality built in as well.

Such as, easier access to the back of the gauges, molded in glove box (for use with the

stock glove box lid?), and pockets or holes through which the rollcage windshield support bars could be mounted up a little closer to the firewall. That way I could intall the front crossbar between the 2 supports under the dash.

Door panels are the next thing I would want, maybe with holes cut for power door locks and windows.

That Supra picture is great, my favorite cockpit, because it has the center console tilted towards the driver.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

How about a front belly pan. Most new cars have something like this, so I assume it could be functional.

I don't know much about aerodynamics but I know these cars can use help in any area. It would be relatively simple to mold and you design it in sections so it would be easy to ship.

Also, if it went under the engine compartment it would look pretty trick when you pop the hood.

Anyhow, this sounds like a good idea right now, but I have insomnia so I could be completely delusional.

Mike, I said hood, because I may be wanting to cut into one for vents, etc., and I'd not want to cut my painted steel hood. Plus shipping would be by me, since I'm close smile.gif.

I really like the idea of some cool functional pieces like the chin splitter and the front belly pan Oltmann is talking about. I'm not into carbon fiber for the sake of the look of carbon fiber but rather for the strength/stiffness to weight ratio benefits, so I wouldn't be looking for that interior stuff.

What would also be cool is a hatch with an integrated small whale tail. That thing puts alot of force through to the hatch, and you've seen what it does to your bodywork. Add a lexan window to it and that'd be really cool. The lexan window could be flat (cheaper, easier) as far as I'm concerned. And this piece could be fiberglass probably, as the carbon probably wouldn't be really needed.

Like I've told Chris, I was in the fiber reinforced composite materials field for 14 years (on the strength/stiffness engineering side of things), so I can help with some of the structural and processing issues. You guys should really look into the VARTM process - high quality parts with little added equipment for little cost. Add some vacuum bagging material, hose, vacuum pump, and some resin transfer media and the compaction goes way up and the void count (bubbles) go to near zero. This does wonders for strength and fiber/resin volume fraction and makes very high quality stuff. As far as making molds, I have little hands on experience, but I have many connections in the field that do.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

As much as I want a lightweight hatch w/Lexan, not sure I would want to spend as much as it would cost to do it in carbon-fiber.

Hey Jeff, I see you are in Orlando. Drop me an email and let me know what you have or your project. I am always looking for other Zs to hang with. I live in Chuluota, couple of miles from the track.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Door panels - tough to make because of the curve at the top but that's a big one on my list.

The little dog bone looking pieces behind the door in front of the rear wheel wells.

Steering column cover - make this in fiberglass and then carbon fiber the top. Carbon fiber conducts electricity remember smile.gif

Panel under the hatch - simple to make I'd hope.

Panel covering the dome light area.

Dash cap of course - swapping the entire dash would be a PITA and tougher to make.

Center console. Mike, I've got two you can use for a 240 for measurements etc. For that matter I've got a bunch of interior parts you could use for this effort, no biggie.

Hood would be cool but IMO that's reaching. Start small like the dog bone thngs and door panels. I'd bet that door panels would fly out the door! ZCar.com guys would be all over this - don't tell them till I get mine smile.gif

I'm in it for the looks mostly. Weight I'm not worried about - we've got HP for that problem. Door panels would be nice because I could put speakers in the doors and not trash a nice door panel.

Aircraft Spruce sells the materials you'll be wanting FWIW. I've come close to trying the dog bone panels myself with an eye on doing door panels next if I did a decent job on the simple stuff. I decided to wait until after the sawp was finally done.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I think that the intent of carbon fiber is for a strong but light weight component of a car (vehicle) it would only stand to reason to use it as floor plans, drive shaft, fenders,suspension? etc. etc. all other cosmetic stuff could use the stick on stuff that looks identical to the real stuff.

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

Sounds great, but as a racer, I would like to see body parts. Arizona Z car has discontinued ALL fiberglass production and is selling ALL molds and inventory. I am getting ready to build a new GT2 car and, as far as I know there is no source for front clips, rear clips, doors and the like. If you have any info on parts I would love to hear about them. My sponsor, Palm Beach Recycling, has just provided me with a 240Z that took it in the front end. The owner just spent a MINT restoring it, so there will be some truly NICE interior parts and some running gear available. As soon as I get it disassembled, I will make it available here first.

Krys

------------------

I may be OLD and I TRY to act like a lady,

but I aint little and I aint from Pasadena

and I don't drive no D--- Dodge.

Since we're wishing: My post X-mas list goes like this.

1) Hood w/Ram Air scoop like the late 90's Camaro SS, I think this would look perfect on a Z as the factory hood lines form that buldge in the hood anyway-just needs the cut out & ridges to form the Ram Air-also perfect for a FI V8(?) or run a custom intake from the carb to this Ram Air opening.

2) definately dash cover

3) Trim panels would sell like hotcakes especitally if you could match it to a conventional style center console!

Pamela Anderson might look pretty good in carbon fiber....naa; she's a tart, forget I said that.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Carbon Fibre Rocker Panels and Bumpers! These could be made with the tape fabric, which is less expensive. How about Kevlar for these?

Guest Anonymous

Carbon Fibre Rocker Panels and Bumpers! These could be made with the tape fabric, which is less expensive. How about Kevlar for these?

Didnt this start as a post where a member was actually going to make and sell some of these parts if there was enough interest. Is that still going to happen looks like there is a year or so of interest built up behind this post. Just curiuos because I would be interested in some interior parts. Thanks