HybridZ

General question about towing capacity

Iceman

I hope it's alright to ask this here, I suppose I'll find out quick.

I am just looking for some input regarding towing stuff vs towing capacity. I figure plenty of folks around here probably have experience with towing, and I have none.

I want to know what folks think about towing something that is close to the capacity of the vehicle.

In my particular case, I am wondering if my 2002 Honda CRV AWD (1500lb advertised towing capacity) can/should tow a 1400lb pontoon boat. The trailer will have brakes.

I will be towing up some small hills, but no mountain climbing.

I figure this can be applicable to folks that want to tow their Zs, so I hope it's alright to ask.

with trailer it's not gonna be much fun..i towed my z from durango to denver...z weight around 2500lbs, trailer weight was 2000lbs (both wheels off the ground) and towed with my 04 xterra rated at 185hp 210lbft. had a class 3 hitch. it was hard for the xterra (full frame, solid axle, more power), i couldn't imagine a civic recreational vehicle CRV doin the job...not to mention the safety aspect.

The XTerra is only rated for 3500 with an automatic, LESS with a manual. You were towing 4000#, what did you expect?

A pontoon boat might be overdoing it with a CRV, but it all depends on what terrain you are going over and what speed you expect to attain. Towing capacities in the USA are a JOKE and totally based on litigation avoidance! I read the owners manuals when I get vehicles overseas, and christ in australia you caould tow half the continent with a Holden Astra... But the same car in the USA would be rated at 1500#.

Loading and total vehicle/trailer weight is more important. The general rule is never tow a trailer that weighs more than your car without brakes on the trailer. If you have a properly loaded trailer, and functioning surge brake, or electric brakes on the trailer, then you aren't working the tow vehicle's brakes as hard and going slightly heavier would not be an issue. Personally I don't tow anything that weighs more than my Z if I can help it. I have towed another Z with mine (flat towed) for considerable distances. Done it with more than the Z.

Just don't use overdrive, and if it's for a longer distance, consider cooling upgrades. If I was going to tow on the interstates and not local roads...I would consider more work on my Z for anything more than the 800# trailer I usually drag on long trips.

I would say for local tows you will be fine, especially if you have trailer brakes. For longer distances I'd use a real truck.

I tow my 6600# 20' trailer to move it around the yard with my wifes Frontier (Air Shocks!) but would not take it more than the5 miles to the weigh scales, I got the dually for that!

The real question I think should be asked, is how do you plan on putting/removing that pontoon boat from the water with the CRV?

Not sure what you mean, I must be missing something. I've never loaded or unloaded a boat before, but I assumed as long as you have a launching ramp then pretty much any vehicle will be fine. Are you referring to the aspect of needing to get the ass end wet?

Not sure what you mean, I must be missing something. I've never loaded or unloaded a boat before, but I assumed as long as you have a launching ramp then pretty much any vehicle will be fine. Are you referring to the aspect of needing to get the ass end wet?

Most launch ramps are fairly steep and long and a pontoon boat isn't exactly small or light, plus you will have to deal with a wet surface.

Most launch ramps are fairly steep and long and a pontoon boat isn't exactly small or light, plus you will have to deal with a wet surface.

The XTerra is only rated for 3500 with an automatic, LESS with a manual. You were towing 4000#, what did you expect?

auto w/ 3.3 is 5,000, manual is 3500, plus about 1500lbs over a CR-V...i knew the weight was close and didn't expect it to be a rocket...i was only stating that the xterra is more vehicle with a possibly comparable load and it wasn't much fun...AC had to be left off!

Edited by bobbyc

I think he was stating the total weight was 2K with trailer. I could see that with an a-frame boat trailer. The 4WD on the CRV should pull any floating rear end out of the ramp area... I have seen fullsize 2wd pickups get floaty and not be able to get out of the ramp area whereas a 4X4 720 (some old datsun with a Z24 engine) launched a 19 ft bayliner with aplomb.

The real insult was when the guy with the old datsun asked if the guy with the C30 needed a pull up the ramp! :lol:

I think he was stating the total weight was 2K with trailer. I could see that with an a-frame boat trailer. The 4WD on the CRV should pull any floating rear end out of the ramp area... I have seen fullsize 2wd pickups get floaty and not be able to get out of the ramp area whereas a 4X4 720 (some old datsun with a Z24 engine) launched a 19 ft bayliner with aplomb.

The real insult was when the guy with the old datsun asked if the guy with the C30 needed a pull up the ramp! :lol:

Great. Now I'll have to worry about if my 2WD truck will be able to get out of the water!

Having those front wheels pulling instead of underwater on slippery algae and mossy plant growth makes for a nice uphill climb! Sandbags over the axle may help somewhat. Whatever you do, remember to undo the ratchet straps that hold the pontoon boat on the trailer BEFORE you back into the water! :blink: