HybridZ

280zx mods

Dusto1002

i hear the q45 throttle body can b modified to fit the stock 280zx intke manifold. my question is by doing this, besides porting it, will i have to weld a tab on? is there a company that sells such a tab and by going to 82mm can i go to a 3" exhaust or shud i go bigger? smaller diameter? just dont wanna waste money. also any recomendations on headers and mufflers? i only found pacesetters or monza headers, and of course piping and mufflers are universal, i was thinking borla, let me know guys, thanks!!

i already found a local shop that does pretty good camwork and have laid out a pretty specific plan to what id like done to it increased duration and larger lashpads and a few other things, also lightening the flywheel 8-10 pounds and HERES a larger problem. if i do end up switching my 43mm tb for the q45 84mm i cant find a performance intake. so i may need to find a car with a close enough diameter and get that bad boy super snug on there.

and if i go turbo id have to switch pistons to much $ for me :/ im a broke 21 yr old

Ok, first off. You don't need anything larger then a 60mm throttle body, as the head and intake don't flow nearly enough to require a TB larger then that. Secondly, you will need an aftermarket ECU, or a z31 ECU with nistune to tune for the new cam, as well as the matching lash pads with the correct wipe pattern. Ontop of all that, I wouldn't expect more then a 30WHP gain after a full exhaust, ported intake manifold and ported head, cam and a stock bottom end. Lastly you can turbo the N/A long block just fine as long as you don't go to crazy.

• Administrators

Dusto,

It is apparent in your posting style that you have not read the forum rules or the "Read me first" stickyed in the new members section. To help make your transition into HybridZ population a smooth one and to help keep the HBZ staff form coming down on you for violating forum policy, please take the time to read the links in this link;

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/63821-read-me-first-please/

Back on topic. hoov gave some excellent advice regarding the L28, TB's, cams withe EFI, etc. Thanks hoov. :2thumbs:

Here is good read on larger TB's;

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/54034-big-throttle-bodies-why/

This forum has been around since early 2000, dedicated to Extreme performance Z car modifications, mods that yield actual performance gains, not faux performance for the sole purpose of trying enhance ones image in the mall parking lot or car shows, (there's plenty of other dedicated to posers/ricers, this is not one of them). There are more than few threads dedicated to "bang for the buck mods on a budget" for the L28 that yield results, not just bling when the hood is open. That info is all here, the search engine is your friend.

Hope that helps and welcome to HybridZ. :wink:

Don't get me wrong I'm not one for spoilers or sometimes even a good paintjob as long as the car can prove its worth with me being entertained and having fun. And sorry for the spelling I'm using my phone to type everythng and I guess I got into the swing of Instant messaging. And I also don't go to the mall hahaha buuut I do appreciate speed. Sorry I'm new to the z cars. But I thnk I'm learning at a quick rate, I've only had it for a week and have made a custom intake, painted the car (well primered) and replaced the entire ignition system with a msd blaster and 6al. Ill click on the links you posted for tbs thanks again!

just remember to make it FLOW....nomatter what if it flows it will make more power, like the hopped up motor in my car, ive had a shell for years and been waiting to put the motor in (suppose to be a low comp stroker) all i know is it has a LUMPY cam, pulls very quickly, but it ran well and was in a decent so i left it in the car, well now that its going into a shell i figured id look it over...no leaks or needs for gaskets and i dont care if i find a v07 crank or its just really hopped up (the dyno will tell the story) but it has a 60mm tbso i open it up and BAM stock manifold...so guess what im doing. PORTWORK...best investment to making a car fast...ask around and youll find out the difference between the real N/A 300whp guys and the 200whp budget stroker builds, same with the 300-350whp turbo guys and the 450-500whp ones.

Sweet thanks. Everyone keeps saying swap and unless its a 70 datsun with a l series I don't see the point and it seems like uhhh I guess I would say ricey. Engine work can do wonders on a stock anything is my opinion along with porting and a few bolt ons of course hahaha but ya thanks a lot guys all of this really helped a lot with my decision on what I'd like to do. I'm staying na and doin mild to high camwork along with exhaust, flywheel and other small things don't need it super fast, and ill go 60mm tb instead of 90 haha thanks guys!

Just remember, anything short of a CAI or an exhaust will require a different ECU.

.... the 280ZX already has a stock CAI since the air box is in front of the rad and out of the hot engine bay. I'm assuming you mean an aftermarket air filter....

Should I use a zxt turbo ecu then? if I get camwork how do I use it efficiently ?? :(

I think some guys are using the Z31 ECU because it has a better fuel map but you are going to have to search on that.

You need a ZXT ECU if you are doing a turbo swap....