HybridZ

Correct Spec for Drive Shaft Bolts

LLave

Monday I sheared off all 4 bolts on the drive shaft/diff. They were fully threaded non factory POS bolts. It looks like the threads got pounded flat, allowing a little bit of moment, then it was just down hill from there. So what do you guys use? What is the correct spec for these bolts?

I am most concerned with getting a bolt that is a nice tight fit, and that has enough smooth shank to pass through both surfaces. I may end up getting a longer, partially threaded bolt and trimming it to fit. Over thinking it, possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some nice bolts in there. The holes in my diff were almost exact fit for a 3/8 fine thread bolt shank (but not a course, go figure). I had to just tough the drive shaft to get them to slip fit. Bought some grade 8, 3/8 fine thread bolt with the right length of smooth shank. Cut the threads shorter and dressed with a file. Worked like a charm. Only... they came loose the first time i drove. This weekend I will be adding some trust green loctite. Too bad i have no garage right now. Wrenching in the dirveway anypone?