HybridZ

New 240Z Coupe Record at Bonneville

Tony D

Got a call yesterday afternoon that the #7770 Car of Burton Brown went over 173mph at Bonneville. This is the Red 240 Coupe I posted photos of in the "400hp N/A" thread some time back.

Do the math on frontal area and confirmed drag stats to know what kind of L6 HP it will take to push a BONE STOCK 240 Coupe to that kind of speed!

I forgot to mention that I owe Burton a dollar, since finding out they went 169mph last year, they have proven me wrong that a stock-bodied non-G-Nosed L28 powered N/A S30 Coupe would break 150mph. When I see him, I'll have to give it to him!

Engine is by rule restriction less than 3000cc's, and more than 2001cc's Normally Aspirated, running on event gasoline. Body must be as delivered from the factory, no aftermarket pieces not avaialble on a production vehicle from the factory are allowable on the car for the purposes of setting a record.

Congratulations Burton! That speed a quite a feat USFRA Official 172.974mph (second mile over 173mph)...

This is in addition to the Maxton Mile run he had in June of this year at 154.388.

Edited by Tony D

4218 Ft above sea level... off the top of my head, I may be incorrect, but I doubt it! B)

Maxton/Laurinburgh Airport is either 214 or 216 ft depending on which authority you use. So the Maxton Mile has slightly better air density than B'ville...!

Edited by Tony D

Congratulations Burton!

To All,

Here is a pic of our car at the USFRA event last week. Many thanks to all who helped, Dave and the guys at Rebello and John at Beta Motorsports. Could not have done it without you guys and my crew, Arron, Creston, Jeff, Rick and of course, my wife Tiffany. She does alot of things that go unrecognized. :-)

I don't have the dyno sheets for this rebuild but it was over 360HP on SK carbs. I do think the car is capable of 180-185 with a few more tweeks. Not time for it this year though, have to work at the "real" job now. We are talking about doing some changes and breaking the F/GT record again and then possibly an E engine for the 200mph club?????? You will have to wait and see.

On another note, Nobody said anything about our tip-ups????

Thanks

Douglas "Burton" Brown

Victory Motorsports

post-12939-019316300 1284951031_thumb.jpg

Car looks good. What's a "tip-up"?

Tip Ups,

When one is foolish enough to go fishing on a frozen lake.

You drill a hole in the ice (where I grew up the ice was 3ft thick) then you install your "tip-up" which is essentially a fishing line with a spool and a flag on it. In Canada you can only have one hole in the ice per person fishing. In Wisconsin you can have multiple holes. When you get a fish on the line it triggers a flag to pop up, then you have to put your beer down and go over and pull the fish out of the hole......

Burton

Tip Ups,

When one is foolish enough to go fishing on a frozen lake.

You drill a hole in the ice (where I grew up the ice was 3ft thick) then you install your "tip-up" which is essentially a fishing line with a spool and a flag on it. In Canada you can only have one hole in the ice per person fishing. In Wisconsin you can have multiple holes. When you get a fish on the line it triggers a flag to pop up, then you have to put your beer down and go over and pull the fish out of the hole......

Burton

Lakes freeze? :-)

I wanna see this engine and the detailed specs! Sounds impressive.

Congrats on the record guys!

We are putting the story together with some pics and will have a link to it from the Rebello Page. Should be done soon I will post the link when done. Those guys deserve all of the credit......I just had to point it in a straight line....for a circle track guy that was a little tough.

Burton

I thought Tip-Ups were what you anchored the six-pack to so it didn't float away under the ice in a current...

Michigan allowed multiples and the DNR was always looking to bust people with more than the allotted limit. I would always put one more down than allowable and have a sixer on there. When the DNR stopped to nail me, I'd pull up the sixer and smile. Unless there was some swimming Canadian, it wasn't 'legal bait for sportfish' and therefore didn't count.

After a while they stopped bugging me. Then the sixer could stay in the bucket under my butt, and I could actually fish in peace.

Lakes Freeze. And we race on frozen lakes. I once was scolded for making 5 mile speed runs by every enforcement entity in Iosco County. It all started when the local Sheriff came out of the Dunkin Donuts (!) at M55 and US23 and wondered where the sound of a flat 6 turning 6500+ rpms was coming from a 9AM on a quiet Sunday morning. Then they saw the streak of a red, white, and blue 66 Corsa with a large Fluorscent 7-Up Sponsorship Decal on the door (and "22c" in Blue) travelling across the horizon at obviously 'excessive speeds'... We knew about Bonneville then, we just made our own! (3" Dual Megaphones straight off the header collector are surprisingly directional, BTW...) B)