HybridZ

redrilling 240z hub to 5 lug

Rear hubs you are supposed to use a slide hammer. As for re drilling I am not sure. I wouldn't do it personally seems to be a very bad idea. To get my rear stub axles out I used a sledge hammer and a punch that fit the end of it. Be careful not to hit the threads and mess them up! Other than that it worked out. They aren't fun to deal with.

I used a slide hammer to remove the rear stubs.

I don't know what kind of power you are making, but it might not be a bad idea to swap in 280z stub axles/companion flanges for extra strength while you are at it. The 280z stubs have a higher spline count.

My car has ~16k miles on re-drilled stock 280z stub axles so far and no problems as of yet.

You should do some searching on the topic. Lots of info here.

Bottom line: This is not a "workbench/hand drill" job. If you don't own a mill the best thing to do is buy a pair from Ross. I doubt you could find a machine shop that would do it for less.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=64

You should do some searching on the topic. Lots of info here.

Bottom line: This is not a "workbench/hand drill" job. If you don't own a mill the best thing to do is buy a pair from Ross. I doubt you could find a machine shop that would do it for less.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=64

x2

Although I did manage to get it done cheaper at a local machine shop, but not by much. :D

Edited by 280zcar

Didn't Ross sell a pattern at one time that a person could use to redrill the axle? It slid over the pilot and one stud and then you could mark exactly where to drill the other 4 holes? With a pattern and a decent drill press and vise I think it would be pretty easy.

Don't forget to cut the peened area of the stub axle nut off before removing them otherwise you'll waste the threads.

... With a pattern and a decent drill press and vise I think it would be pretty easy.

True.

But Ross also reinforces the two holes that come out close to the edge of the hub. Don't want to quell the DIY spirit here. Just seems like a deal to me for a proven, precision product. Maybe I'm getting old! :o

I would suggest forgetting about the slide hammer. If you have an air hammer, I'd use the pointy tip and put it on the dimple on the backside of the stub axle and push it out, and if you don't I'd do like ModernS30 suggested and use a center punch on the dimple and a BFH. If you do rent a slide hammer, you need the puller tip which would look a lot like a pulley puller. I just don't think it will be significantly easier to do that way vs the punch and the BFH or the air hammer.