HybridZ

Slover Porting in Sun Valley, California

ktm

I will be dropping my head and Isky cam off to Slover in the next few weeks, but before I do I was wondering if anyone here has used his services? A quick search on "slover" only turned up 4 hits and no real discussion.

I visited his shop yesterday while I was in the area and talked to him for 40 minutes. He seems knowledgeable about the L-series head and even had a welded up N-42 that he worked on. I told him my goals as well as parts and he had the following recommendations:

He'll source the lash pads and grind them down as necessary instead of using ones purchased from Isky. Reason being that the pads are all about the wipe pattern and that is a function of more than just the cam.

He recommended Schneider retainer springs and not the ones available from Isky. Reason being the springs from Isky are too heavy/stout (heavy gage). The Schneider's are stiffer than stock but not nearly as stiff as Isky's.

Does anyone care to comment about their experience with Slover and his recommendations?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I intend to get his competition porting job which runs around $750, but that is for just the porting work. Hot tanking, valve train assembly, etc. runs more. Based on the cost of $300 to rebuild my P90a by Valley Engine and Machine, I expect to spend around $1100ish.

Anyone?

I bought a race head from Datsun Comp back in 1979. At that time , the factory port work was done by Slover. It was very good work! I would not hesitate to use his services.

At this time, I would have the work done by Rusch Racing(BRAAP), his shop is local and he also does great work.

FWIW

Mongo

Edited by MONGO510

• 4 weeks later...

Mongo, I should have said thanks earlier. I also did some research on the 'net and talked to Mike a few times at his shop. The head is now in his hands getting his competition port as well as a rebuild, competition valve job (his description), and reassembly. I just picked up an Isky cam (L490/L480 grind), retainers and springs. Mike will custom grind the lash pads as needed.

His price is quite reasonable as well. It should all be done by the new year.

That spring recommendation sounds familiar. The machinist I used warned that some aftermarket springs were WAY too stiff, I can't recall if he was worried about Crane or ISKY, but I told him I had already ordered springs and he had me all set to return them. He checked the Schneiders on his spring dyno and told me they were just about perfect for what he liked in terms of seat pressure and installed them.

Slover and Gerolamy were the two names I heard most when it came to porting Datsun heads. I came into Datsuns through 510 guys, and those two shops were kind of mythical. Rebello as well, but I heard about Slover and Gerolamy first.

The Blue 240Z at MSA that spun 192HP to the rear wheels on SU's was an Isky/Slover combination (at my suggestion, BTW.)

The Bonny Car is Slovers (talk to Mike?.)

Jeff P is running a BCG since Nathan's Dad did the work for E-Motive in conjunction with Isky, and that had some allure. WE had to have 'recommendations' to get them to take on the work, they do mostly Harley Heads now.