HybridZ

Driver's ED overhaul?

Globerunner513

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/indiana/driver-ed-crash-stats-stump-lawmakers

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Indiana lawmakers say they are puzzled by a study that shows teenagers who take driver's education classes are more likely to crash than those who do not take the classes.

The Indiana BMV released the study that it says shows current drivers under 18 who took driver's ed had nearly four times the crashes than those without the training.

Some lawmakers say it might be time for an overhaul. The state's drivers ed program has not changed in the past 30 years.

But the BMV says the numbers might be skewed by the fact that teens with driver's ed get their permits earlier and have more time on the road.

Edited by Globerunner513

Idk how it is in Indiana but in GA it is mandatory you take a drivers Ed class to get your license. I can see how the Indiana statistics can be amiss because those who have taken that drivers ed course may be those who were in severe need of basic driving skills. (there were kids in my class that had at the age or 16 NEVER driven a car, they did not know how to shift it, nor ever conceived using a blinker or handbrake.)

I don't see why it needs to be changed/overhauled, has driving changed that much in 30 years? (I mean hell the video we used on the simulators was from he 70's lol)

Edited by 280zx 2by2

I don't see why it needs to be changed/overhauled, has driving changed that much in 30 years? (I mean hell the video we used on the simulators was from he 70's lol)

Take a look at Driver's Ed. in Europe... say Luxembourg, and then look at their teenage crash statistics. Then come back.

Basically, it needs to be more expensive to get your license, more in depth, and they need to show what to do in emergencies. Not just tell you.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Take a look at Driver's Ed. in Europe... say Luxembourg, and then look at their teenage crash statistics. Then come back.

Basically, it needs to be more expensive to get your license, more in depth, and they need to show what to do in emergencies. Not just tell you.

I agree, make it expensive, raise the age limit, make it harder to get and do a re-test every 25 years...

At my high-school, there are 3 driver's ed teachers. One is a PE teacher/football coach, one is a social studies teacher/basketball coach, and the other is a teacher at our junior high. The PE teacher and the basketball coach taught only from the book, whereas the junior high teacher taught from the book and from his personal experiences. I got the junior high teacher for my Driver's Ed class and I couldn't have been happier. Instead of staying in the class the whole time, we would go out and learn how to change a tire, check all the fluids, and how to do basic maintenance on a car. My teacher used to be a trucker before he was a teacher and he taught us nearly everything about driving safely. He taught us to signal, who has right of way in every situation, how to drive in all types of conditions, and showed us how to parallel park among other things. He taught us alot of things that weren't on the driving test. No one from my class with him has wrecked or had their car break down, but my friends who took the other two classes don't signal, drive horribly, and are distracted while driving. Seven people that I know of in the other classes have wrecked their cars. Two rolled their cars going to fast around a corner, 1 got t-boned when they thought they had the right of way for some reason, one person ran over a chick and later in the year hit a car, one hit a parked car in the parking lot, one killed an 80 year old woman who was walking across a crosswalk, and lastly, one guy hit a man when he was speeding, and killed him. I live in a small town, around 15k people, but how hard is it for the school to find a competent person to teach Driver's Ed? I think if the idiots who wrecked their cars and killed people had been taught how to drive correctly and had some hands-on teaching, they wouldn't be physically and mentally scarred. In my town, I'm not sure about the whole state though, you go through about two months of driver's ed, get your permit, and after six months of driving with your parents, you get your provisional license. After a year of no major traffic violations with the provisional license, you get your normal license.

Driver's Ed classes all over the US need to be overhauled. Too many idiots are teaching children how to drive. People should have to take very strict written and driving tests to become Driver's Ed teachers. Raising the age limit for a child to drive on their own is a great idea. Another thing that would be good overall, is to start Driver's Ed in 8th grade or so as an elective class, and during their sophomore year in high school, after 2-3 years of Driver's ed, give the kid their permit. Require the kids to log a certain amount of hours with an qualified driving instructor, and when the kid turns 18 give them their license. It's a lot of teaching, but it might make accident rates to go down.

EDIT: I forgot to put an n't in wouldn't.

Edited by 240z8

Because the process of getting a license here in the US is a joke. I took the permit test twice... barely had to try. It had stupid questions on it as well that really had nothing to do with driving. The road test was just pathetic. Once I got past parallel parking, the whole thing was a breeze, and it was then that I knew why there were so many crappy drivers. I basically just drove around the block, and threw on a couple lights. Anyone can do that!

I don't agree with it being more expensive. The goal should be to making a drivers license accessible to anyone who can drive well enough to meet the standards. The rest I agree with. Driving schools, like those offered for teens to teach them how to react in an emergency, etc. should be standard practice.

I agree, make it expensive, raise the age limit, make it harder to get and do a re-test every 25 years...

I really don't agree with any of this. Sorry. It's 16 to get a permit and 17 to get a license in NJ, and I think they got it right.

I remember watching a show one time and in the show it talked about how one way to prevent more accidents is to not let 15-16 year olds get their license, Their argument was that some parts of their brain that helped in decision making and other driving tasks aren't fully developed until later like 17 or 18. I agree that it shouldn't be more expensive I just think it should be harder. I just got my license this summer and haven't even got pulled over or even a fender bender. My dad still has his permit test (he's 51) and I was suprised how much more they had to do to pass. All I did was drive around a few blocks use turn signals and make a full stop a few times. I didn't even have to parallel park which even I thought was strange.

I like the colorado rules where if you want your permit at 15 you have to take drivers ed and cruisers and then you can get your license when your 16 or you can just wait till your 16 get your permit drive for a full year and do 50 hours day 10 hours night and then you can go apply for your license when your 17. Also you have to wait 6 months to be able to drive one person other then your family and a whole year before you can carry multiple passengers. Also just recently texting while driving was made illegal and you can only call while driving if your over 18 in colorado. I'm pretty happy with the colorado laws about driving especially the no texting or calling for anyone under 18.

Edited by 19752802+2

Here's an example from Australia (NSW). I think something similar would be a great system here.

The driving age in New South Wales is 17 years. A learner can drive at the age of 16 (for cars), under the supervision of an unrestricted licensed driver, or 16 years and 9 months (for motorcycles). After obtaining a licence, a driver continues to be subject to restrictions during a 3 year probationary period.

Learner Driver Licence

The minimum age for a Learner Driver Permit is 16 years. Since the introduction of an enhanced graduated licensing scheme in 2000, new drivers must proceed through 3 different stages before gaining a full, unrestricted licence.

A learner driver licence is gained after passing a computerised knowledge test. Learner drivers are permitted to drive accompanied by a supervising unrestricted licence holder. Learner drivers and supervising drivers are subject to numerous restrictions. For learner a maximum speed of 80 km/h, a zero blood alcohol content limit, cannot tow a trailer, and must conspicuously display black-on-yellow 'L-plates' on the exterior of the vehicle while driving. As of July 1, 2007, learner drivers must complete at least 120 hours of on-road driving experience including at least 20 hours of night driving (verified by a log book completed by the supervising driver), and must hold the permit for at least 12 months, before they may apply for a provisional licence, stage 1. Since 16 December 2009, 1 hour with an instructor is equal to 3 hours of normal driving hours, until a total of 10 hours with an instructor. This equates to a maximum of 30 hours which can be accumulated at an advanced rate. Since 19 December 2009, learner drivers 25 years old and over have not been required to complete a learner driver log book. [2]

Provisional licence, stage 1 (P1 - red)

A Provisional P1 licence (commonly called Ps and Reds) is gained after a minimum twelve months of holding a Learner Licence, 120 hours of on-road driving experience, and successful completion of an on-road practical driving examination. The licence holder can drive unaccompanied, but is limited to a maximum speed of 90 km/h, towing trailers of up to 250 kg, and a zero alcohol content. They must display red-on-white 'P-plates' while driving. P1 drivers are limited to a total of four demerit points during the term of the licence, as compared to the 12-point limit on unrestricted licences. P1 drivers must hold the licence for one year before progressing to the next stage.

In New South Wales the minimum age to be eligible for a P1 Licence is 17. As of 1 July 2007, new laws for P1 drivers have been introduced, including a limit of one passenger under the age of 21 between 11pm and 5am, and instant suspension for 3 months for any speeding offence. Furthermore, it is also now a requirement that red 'P-plates' be displayed on the outside of the vehicle.

Provisional licence, stage 2 (P2 - green)

A Provisional P2 licence (commonly known as Ps and Greens) is gained after one year and successful completion of a computerised hazard perception test. The driver is restricted to a speed limit of 100 km/h, a zero alcohol limit, and a maximum of six demerit points; however, they are eligible to upgrade the class of their licence, such as those for heavier vehicles. P2 drivers must display a green-on-white 'P-plate' conspicuously on the exterior of the vehicle at all times. P2 drivers must hold the licence for two years before progressing to the next stage.

Full, Unrestricted Licence A full, unrestricted licence is gained after two years and successful completion of another computerised test. Unrestricted drivers licences are coloured gold

Emphasis mine.

I've also been told that during the probationary period, you aren't allowed to drive turbocharged cars. I don't know the specifics, but I somewhat agree with that as well, although it could go both ways.

Edited by Globerunner513

The drivers Education is a big issue. I see the larger issue riding with kids who are ignorant. They know they shouldn't text and drive and they don't pay attention. I was rear ended by a 15 year old girl, with no insurance, or license, driving her brothers car. It totaled my 1972 BMW 2002. Complete rust free car, not a joke, not one spot on the car. No bondo or any of that crap. I took my driving test in the same place as Justin (240z8) although I had teh coach instructor. Most of what I learned, came from my parents, I knew more than what he taught in that class. My driving test was litterally. Go around the block. I was never really shown how to parallel park, however I can and have done it, more than once. There are to many people on the road. Majority of them should not be on the road.

I am 17 years old, I understand I am not a professional driver. I am not anywhere close to one. I have very limited experience and I need to take precautions. This is where many kids go wrong. They say "I'm a better driver than all of these people". To be honest, my brother is a fantastic example. He got stopped twice in 2 months. Speeding and failure to yeild to a pedestiran. He doesn't pay enough attention when he is driving. He claims he is a better driver than most. He really truely thinks he has control of the car more than what he does. I do not like riding with him becasue he constantly has near misses, braking distance for him is to short as well.

I think we should make people take a confidence test before they get their license. Put bias questions on it, that way you can tell who is going to be 'that' person. That way we don't give licenses to the people that are over confident and will drive like they are the best and nobody around them matters.

Edited by ModernS30

I think making it more expensive will make sure that only kids with more wealthy parents will be allowed to crash into other people. So, instead of a 1985 Toyota Corolla hitting you, it will be a 2008 Honda S2000.

Changing the driving age will only be effective if it's raised to 21. Supposedly, scientifically, that is around the time that the human brain becomes fully developed in the region that controls the ability to process long-term consequences. However, this is highly impractical.

In any case, the most promising sounding plan would be as stated earlier, to have a long, drawn out probationary period where the student driver is trained better, evaluated more heavily, and restricted for a longer period of time.

But, they will still act how they will, until they run into enough other people to realize their actions do have consequences.