HybridZ

Odd External Wastegate...thoughts?

OustedFairlady

I came across this odd wastegate location/design, and I'm considering doing it for my Supra, as I've just upgraded its turbocharger. Granted, it's not a wild huge turbocharger, but it's better than destroyed, which my CT26 was.

tech_hybrid_detagate_2.jpg

I'm fairly comfortable in my abilities as a technician, but I am by no means an expert in the care and feeding of turbochargers; with that said, this design looks as though it should work, but seems rather cumbersome...granted, it's not for a supra, of course, but I'm curious to know if some more wizened soul might be able to impart some of said wisdom upon me as to whether or not this is a good design for me.

I intend to fabricate it myself, if I end up going this route, so money isn't exactly the issue. However, if the level of "PITA" is entirely too much, I'll just settle for an eBay turbo manifold for now.

So, thanks in advance. Thoughts?

*EDIT*

Forgot to add...I'm using a T3/T4 hybrid, .50A/R compressor, .63A/R turbine, from what I understand. I won't pretend to understand what all that means yet, so feel free to either explain or direct me to an explanation...

Thanks again.

Edited by OustedFairlady

That looks like it was done for someone with big space constrictions.

I don't like the way the wastegate exhaust is merged into the main downpipe. Part of the reason for making a divorced wastegate and downpipe is to get rid of some of the turbulence caused by the wastegate gases entering the exhaust stream.

That design seems counter-intuitive.

Edit: Just saw your edit. Go to http://www.turbobygarrett.com and read the turbo tech sections.

Edited by mario_82_ZXT

Ok just by looking by the photo above this setup is still using the stock wastegate "hole" in the body of the turbo. This is the same "hole" that an internal wastegate flapper style uses. Now the piston style gate in the photo may flow better than a stock flapper style (10% more?) youre better off using that piston style wg before the turbo. I mean if your gona weld up yours why not do it right the first time?? just my 2 cents..

youre better off using that piston style wg before the turbo.

So the stock wastegate takes it's exhaust for venting overboard after the turbo then, eh? :huh:

Sometimes I wonder about the posts here recently...

custom. but easy to make yourself.

buy a standard 5 hole wastegate plate (1/4 inch), add the downpipe, then add the wastegate.

the top wastegate joint is a slip fit.

I don't use gaskets anywhere on the turbo. just high heat rtv. That includes the turbo at the manifold, downpipe to the turbo, and wastegate to the downpipe.

I have seen some guys have an o-ring groove cut into their flange and use copper wire to seal them. Trick as heck!

I always wondered about high temp o-rings since they are used in aircraft turbines, but with the copper wire setup being so simple and trick, why not?

I, too run red RTV on my flanges. Keep them flat and true and there will not be a problem, the RTV will stand up and not blow out.

If it does, you always can o-ring them! :P