HybridZ

Official: Moving to Vacaville

Gollum

So for those that know me, you might care (or not!) that I'm officially leave the "bay area" and moving up the road half way to sacramento in a wee 'ol farm town called Vacaville.

No garage at the new place, but there's good people, a quality driveway, and such.

Anyhoo, more details later. Just wanted to let you guys know.

So for those that know me, you might care (or not!) that I'm officially leave the "bay area" and moving up the road half way to sacramento in a wee 'ol farm town called Vacaville.

No garage at the new place, but there's good people, a quality driveway, and such.

Anyhoo, more details later. Just wanted to let you guys know.

I lived on Kentucky Street in Vacaville for many years. Grown a lot, no longer a little ol agricultural town... got to slip over to Winters for that. At one time Vacaville's main claims to fame were the prison; the Nut Tree Airport... learned to fly there..; and a commercial food dryer. You could smell onions are garlic at 15,000 feet over Vacaville.

Are you on the South or North side of the Interstate?

g

Just south of the freeway off alamo. Intended to mention that in the previous post. I was rushing out of work posting that. I know Vacaville isn't really a "small" town anymore, but it's certainly "country-living" for us city folk. If ya know what I mean.

define country living? I'm 40 minutes to the west to a pop 800 town and 20 minutes east to a pop 120 village, an hour and a half trip north to a decent parts store and supermarket...

I hope your new place is a bit more civilised :D

This move includes plans to save up to buy a place with a big garage. :-D I don't even have my tools at our current place because it's a tiny apartment. This new place is a roomy duplex with lots of space outside as well, with wonderful neighbors. It's a good "while we're waiting" upgrade. We can live with it until we either save up more money or job situations improve a bit. Ironically though, many people from the bay area call it "cow town". It's ironic mostly because it's named after a guy, not what the town is known for. It's actually well known for it's extremely productive nut orchards. The name comes from a guy who was a general or something in the mexican military during the war here in california. His payment was land, and his only condition when selling the land to investors was to name their new town after him... I mostly just feel sorry for the guy since his name was cow...

Kiwi303 ~ There's a bit of sarcasim in my post. I know I'm far from "in the country" but where I come from they think it is. I grew up able to see the bay bridge and the city of San Francisco when there wasn't fog in the way (which isn't often!). So now moving to a town with around 100k people, in a city that gives way to open orchards and hay fields... it's not "the city" anymore.

The kinda funny thing though, is that where we are is a random little piece of land that's had the city slow crowded around it. The duplexes were built in the 20's or so, and so they have large open lawns surrounding them, and across the street is a huge housing tract, and we're less than a mile from the freeway, but between us and there is a shopping center. So it's even more "country" feeling that much of the city.

This move includes plans to save up to buy a place with a big garage. :-D I don't even have my tools at our current place because it's a tiny apartment. This new place is a roomy duplex with lots of space outside as well, with wonderful neighbors. It's a good "while we're waiting" upgrade. We can live with it until we either save up more money or job situations improve a bit. Ironically though, many people from the bay area call it "cow town". It's ironic mostly because it's named after a guy, not what the town is known for. It's actually well known for it's extremely productive nut orchards. The name comes from a guy who was a general or something in the mexican military during the war here in california. His payment was land, and his only condition when selling the land to investors was to name their new town after him... I mostly just feel sorry for the guy since his name was cow...

Kiwi303 ~ There's a bit of sarcasim in my post. I know I'm far from "in the country" but where I come from they think it is. I grew up able to see the bay bridge and the city of San Francisco when there wasn't fog in the way (which isn't often!). So now moving to a town with around 100k people, in a city that gives way to open orchards and hay fields... it's not "the city" anymore.

The kinda funny thing though, is that where we are is a random little piece of land that's had the city slow crowded around it. The duplexes were built in the 20's or so, and so they have large open lawns surrounding them, and across the street is a huge housing tract, and we're less than a mile from the freeway, but between us and there is a shopping center. So it's even more "country" feeling that much of the city.

Your country town is the big city we go to for civilization! Ice rink, movie theater, shopping malls and a Lowe's. None of those in Rio VIsta 40 minute away. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Vacaville is the home of a V8 Velo Rossa in process. Other Hybridzers around too.

Since you're here come to Bass Derby/Festival next weekend in Rio. Saturday morning is a big car show. It's so packed they shut down Main St. from Fifth St. all the way to the river.

Well this weekend (7th-10th) I'll be up in forrest hill camping at hell hole. Weekend after is when our official moving will be taking place. So unfortunately I'll have my hands full.

So when do I get to see the car dan? Last we talked you said you were going to be doing MORE body work, saying something about being unhappy with it (says the man who has a car many drool over).

I'll be making the 600mile drive down there soon. Not sure If I'm going to do it in the Z, it would be quite a reliability test though. Nice looking place though and good weather.

The drive is fun, I love seeing a Trooper fly past when when your doing 90mph. He's after the guy who just past you at 110.

Edited by goodoldjam

I used to live in Richmond just a few miles from that yard. The upside to that yard is that their entire inventory changes almost every month, so I pulled a lot of desirable parts from them, but the downside is that they'd nickle and dime you on everything. Even though a "cylinder head" might be $50 if you pulled one without pulling the cam, valves, valve springs, rockers, etc they'd charge you for all of it for a bill of over $200... I stopped going there because of it.

So when do I get to see the car dan? Last we talked you said you were going to be doing MORE body work, saying something about being unhappy with it (says the man who has a car many drool over).

Thank you for the kind words. There's not much to look at right now. I tore it down a couple years ago to correct some issues and then the economy went in the toilet. I'm at a point now where I can't go any farther with out some cash outlay. I can't justify spending money on a hobby when we're just squeaking by paying the basic bills. So it sits on jack stands with the motor on an engine stand in the garage waiting patiently for the cash to flow again. I'd be happy to have you over if you want to look at a pile of parts and shoot the bull. Send me a PM and we'll make a date.

I never came across that problem there, hmmm. Guess I just got lucky everytime. And I know you lived in richmond, Ive been to your place. This is Michael Lamberson btw. Howve you been?

I hadn't realized you had a new account name. You moved to NC?

Thank you for the kind words. There's not much to look at right now. I tore it down a couple years ago to correct some issues and then the economy went in the toilet. I'm at a point now where I can't go any farther with out some cash outlay. I can't justify spending money on a hobby when we're just squeaking by paying the basic bills. So it sits on jack stands with the motor on an engine stand in the garage waiting patiently for the cash to flow again. I'd be happy to have you over if you want to look at a pile of parts and shoot the bull. Send me a PM and we'll make a date.

Well I'll make sure to take you up on that offer once I get my S30 back on the road then in a few months.

Welcome to the neighborhood(I'm in Suisun City). I've got a small bar in a living room that people seem to really like due to the peace and quiet. My setup is a bit similar to yours, close to the city but out of the way in farmland, in a prewar fourplex. Local bar and grill is walking distance, too. Drop on in.

Edited by capt_furious

Take the back way out of town through Suisun on 12 to Lodi.

You will never say Vacaville is small after that. It's the 'town' most people mention in the region when they say the are 'going to town' on a shopping trip. It's easier to stop there than fight traffic into Sacto.

It isn't Rio Linda. :lol:

Why do you think I'm so excited to be moving? I love the backroads around here. They're plentiful, and quite empty compared to the other side of the carquinez bridge where you can't go more than a mile without getting stuck behind a bicycle going 10mph, or a group of runners running a marathon.

Today was the last hurray in moving the last of the stuff from the old apartment, I can't wait to sleep in on monday. Later this week I'll hopefully be moving the S30 up with my tools and I can start wrenching again.