HybridZ

how do i remove a pilot bearing?

I borrowed a pilot bearing puller from a garage where a friend works.

Otherwise, I was going to pack as much grease as possible into and behind the bearing, start a short hardwood dowel as a snug fitting input shaft, give the dowel a good whack with a small sledge to force the bearing out. I've heard the technique works and for fun I wanted to try it. The trick would be in coming up with the right sized dowel.

Steve

Like I said over at Classiczcars.com:

Go to Autozone. Ask to rent the pilot bushing puller. I am not kidding. They ask for a deposit, you spend 2 minutes using the puller, return the puller and get your deposit back.

Zzeal - i tried the grease method and got zero luck. jammed filled with grease and stuck a 5/8" bolt in there. the oil just squats right out after my hammer smacked it

ktm - i did visit a o'really and autozone. both of their pilot bearing removal tool was too big to fit in the hole. soooo SAD

tonyd - i agree but it would suck

newzed - link is broken

Stop grease and bolts.

Find something that fits TIGHTLY. A wooden DOWEL will do it, but a piece of appropriately sized rod stock will work.

If grease is 'squirting all over' then you got something that doesn't fit closely enough, and are not holding it straight. You have to let it pilot in enough to let it go in straight and then hit is SMARTLY (if you worry you will hit your hands, grab it with a vice grip!)

I started with wet toilet paper, actually and not grease. Makes less of a mess. Sopping wet, the toilet paper is semi-colloidal and works just as well at building hydraulic pressure.

I have never used a pilot bearing puller. They have nice ones now. But an old input shaft, a hammer and some sopping wet toilet tissue or THICK grease (stick it in the freezer) will hydraulically force the old bushing out with little fuss. But only if you have a decent seal on the forcing plunger (input shaft/bolt) to the bearing housing.

I have seen at least one technician who chucked his assortment of input shafts into a lathe to knurl the shafts, and cut O-Ring Grooves in the pilot bearing end. Said it helps hold the shafts in there when he's aligning clutches (uses light oil on it I guess), and makes for a TIGHT seal when he uses the same tool to remove old bushings---you guessed it, using thickened grease. Though he mentioned in one case he used wet sawdust (?!?!?!) I would not recommend that substance, but I can see how it would work if that is all you had access to!

ktm - i did visit a o'really and autozone. both of their pilot bearing removal tool was too big to fit in the hole. soooo SAD

Then they must have had a tool with missing parts or a different one altogether. The tool I rented from them to remove my pilot bushing was adjustable.

Sorry about the bad link. It was just the search results from searching the words - remove pilot bushing. Interesting reading, everything from wet toilet paper to brown bread.

I used a long lag bolt, screwed it in to the pilot bushing, then used a large crescent wrench as a slide hammer to tap it out. It only took a few taps.

Yipes! Lag bolt...

I've used a dremel to cut a pilot bushing out, and it worded but was a pain and I have perminent scars from a bearing puller, not to mention Autozone said they wouldn't loan me any more after I'd broken the teeth of two of theirs. Much later I had to pull one again and found that a 14MM deep socket was just the right size to fit in the center of the bearing, pumped in a bunch of grease (no chilling) and smacked the end of the socket (now also filled with grease) and an extention to plug the hole and pop! out came the bearing easy peasy...

That tool is cool as hell, and makes perfect sense---is that a tapered thread to allow use on various bearings as well?

Obviously if that works, it wasn't in that tight! Hammering the grease spikes pressures pretty high, much higher than most hand-pumped grease guns (or toilet paper sogged with water...)

Two Questions:

1) Where did you get it.

2) How much did it cost-it's an Amazon Photo so was that total cost delivered, or what?

I must have one! Just because it's cool.

Edited by Tony D

It's a "clutch pilot bearing remover" according to the label. First you screw it into the pilot bearing then you pump grease into it. Magic happens after a few pumps of grease

I saw those when looking for an inexpensive pilot bearing/bushing remover . . . But the ones I found said they were only for use on brass or bronze bearings, not steel.

I found that a 5/8" wooden dowel is an EXTREMELY tight fit in the bushing, so I'll sand it down until it can barely slide in. If all goes to plan, I'll be trying it out this afternoon . . . wish me luck! :)

Edited by Daemione