HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let em jump..I love a good debate...I have had that discussion here as well

Maybe all the people that don't condone street racing shouldn't vote to shut down dragstrips as well then? Because Kansas City, Mo just proved that it only takes a couple whiny rich people in power to do that :angry:

Well I took the Z on a parts run today (for itself) lol.

I drove 2 hours each way for an infinity Q45 diff and axles.

Lookie what I found in a little po-dunk town where we had to stop because the GF had to use the restroom.

IMG_20120502_150133.jpg

What are the odds?!

The car drove great, and it managed 29.2mpg rolling 80 the whole way. Not bad :D

Edited by SUNNY Z

Well some bad news. I got into a little fender-bender in my truck (literally right in front of my house). She was speeding, I had the sun in my eyes, and got distracted as i was turning = boom.

The only thing i kept thinking was "thank god this wasn't my 280". I drove my truck home ( a whole half block) but the jeep cheroke didn't fare so well. It had to be towed, as it was balled up pretty good. No injuries to either party.

As a result, I'll be DD'ing the 280 for a while. Looks like I WILL have to fix that U-joint in the rear end <_< because all my upgrade parts won't be here for a while.

Other than that, I'm about to roll over 500 miles on the conversion, and only some small rattles that I haven't tracked down yet are my only problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, awesome read! I am trying to talk my wife into the same build right now and I think you may have won her over with gas economy numbers lol. Awesome work and fabrication as well. I have not done a lot of MIG work at all, but have been playing with stick welding for now. Hoping the wife will let me get a MIG sometime soon :) Great job!

Have you tracked it at all? Curious to see the numbers she puts down. Sounds great in the videos too! If for some reason you are in Dallas or Austin area again, it would be awesome to see her in person. I am in Fort Hood (Killeen Texas) Take care and enjoy!

Edited by Nordic6411

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tracked it at all? Curious to see the numbers she puts down. Sounds great in the videos too! If for some reason you are in Dallas or Austin area again, it would be awesome to see her in person. I am in Fort Hood (Killeen Texas) Take care and enjoy!

I haven't... yet. Hopefully this summer I'll have a weekend to get some time-only's in at the track. I'll remember you if I'm ever headed that way!

Buying the last of the rear end pieces tomorrow, and then I have to wait for my custom axles to show up.... So that will likely be another week or two. Oh well, too busy working right now to touch the car.

Here are my 4130 chrome moly 39 spline billet stub axles and companion flanges.

IMG_0556.jpg

And since my buddy needed his welder back, and I am without a truck at the moment....

IMG_0557.jpg

Thanks guys!

Well I finally was able to steal away from the harvest field to work on my car... it rained! (first time since april - pretty big deal if you farm)

So this is what I started working on:

CFJ Stub axles and companion flanges, M2 Z31 Axles, 84 Z31 Turbo diff and axles.

z31axles.jpg

I got everything disassembled - pretty quick job thanks to the tutorials on here

Then i popped the cover off the diff to check things out and add some clutches.

2012-06-16_21-07-00_792.jpg

2012-06-16_21-07-14_203.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

Hi,

That my friend is an open R200 diff and it probably has a 3.9 gear ratio. If you rotate the carrier you will see some numbers stamped into the ring gear this will tell you the ratio. You can either put a powerbrute clutch pack in for about $600 or a Quaife in for about $1200 to turn it into a limited slip. Or you can go the route a lot of folks do and use an Infiniti (I think) differential. I believe most R200 clutch type differentials have a ratio of 37:10 = 3.7

Danno74Z

Yes, I know what that thing is...it's the same thing that I found inside the first R200 "LSD" I got. Luckily mine was given to me.

Your car isn't inoperable, is it?

No. But i'm super pissed that i payed $150 for it.... from a junk yard... so i cant return it.

I realize its an open diff, but it has a 3.54 ratio? :blink: I checked it last night after i saw what it was. Question: Will the 300zx axle shafts work in my stock 78 r200 diff? Because i have that part of the conversion ready to assemble, along with the stub axles and companion flanges. At least that way i could get rid of the bad u-joint sounds... even if the diff will still be bitching at me.

Any help please?

Most yards have a return for credit policy. Worth asking. They hate giving cash back, of course.

Pretty sure that the only difference in the 300Zx long-nose R200 CLSDs and the open diffs is the pinion flange. So your CV splines should plug right in to the 78 R200. I know that 1983 CVs do since I have a set and some R200s. It's implied also, in the Diff thread, since only the 1988 VLSD is the one with the different spline count - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

Edited by NewZed