HybridZ

Anyone have a good idea for seat rails?

revlis240

My previous owner installed what appears to be knockoff aftermarket seats.

They slide on a rail, and the prev owner just used a flat piece of steel to bolt the

sliders onto the frame. Looks like this:

sxyrzr.jpg

334hx09.jpg

The problem is that the flat piece of steel with the studs sticking out

of it is not an ideal way to mount the seat. First of all the stud spins

when tightening the nut that goes through the frame. and i cant hold the top

because the seat is in the way.

The rails from the floor pan have been removed:

20937di.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by revlis240

Unless your previous owner mounted some tubing under the floor pan and the seats bolt through that tubing, just bolting the seat flat to the floor pan is unsafe. Hopefully there's some structure (other then the floor pan and factory longitudinal pan support) that we can't see in the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the ideal solution, but you could use some flat bar or reinforcement plates under the floor pan to reinforce the mounting....drill them to match the mounting studs on your seat rails. To stop the stud from spinning when tightening the nuts, put a small tack weld between the stud and the rail, or put a nut on it and tighten it down to the rail (can only do this if the stud is threaded all the way).

Hope this helps. Nice looking seats...hope you're able to make them work.

• 2 weeks later...

likey?

No, sorry... :( I'd be concerned on every front. You're trusting your butt to thin sheet metal that is in no way connected to the structural portions of the unibody. The stock braces across the floorpans tie the seat mounts into the rail and the transmission tunnel. Your setup will eventually warp the floorpan and your mount holes will expand. Also, your setup will eventually kill your nice new interior through dirt and moisture intrusion. Lastly, you've set up a nice way to bottom out your spine directly on top of a road hazard.

hey doc,

I know, im not happy about it either, but the previous owner left me little recourse. The seats have been mounted that way for 3 years, without the X pattern, and there has been no warpage of the pan nor major water intrusion from the holes. I sealed the holes with silicone and the car will never be driven in the rain anyway.

The original bracing is still partly there ( see first pic), its just been chopped up. I know its not ideal, I just dont know what else to do. :(

Edited by revlis240

Maybe slather the outside bases of the bolts and nuts with silicone as well, to help prevent crud intrusion?

Kudos for trying to make the best of the situation. I think if I were faced with that (heck, I am considering even doing it on purpose), I might have looked at welding in bar or better yet tube stock across the pan longitudinally, from one remnant to the other.

One more thing: consider grinding off the sharp edges at the front of the cutoff mounts. You'd be surprised how often you end up reaching down there; it's no fun to find a sharp surprise.

Edited by Doc Hawk

take up all that carpet and junk, take it all out, grind to metal (which looks like its bubbling/rusting on the inside already), and add/weld some 2x3 steel tubing to the floor with holes in it (like stock) for mounting the slider/rails to.

Problem solved, might cost you $50-75 and will be a hell of alot safer than what you have not to mention wont beat up or make your car rust anymore.