HybridZ

Think this would help or hender? performance?

wigenOut-S30

I mocked this cold air intake up. The idea here of course is to force colder air into the turbo.. but it potentially will make the turbo work a little harder to suck through the extra pipe.. Usually the way I have it setup is about a 8" pipe going into the turbo with the filter and it sits right between the radiator and motor and have run the best of 11.8@120 with that kind of setup. I guess the only way to find out is to put her together and try it out.

IMAG0051.jpg

I mocked this cold air intake up. The idea here of course is to force colder air into the turbo.. but it potentially will make the turbo work a little harder to suck through the extra pipe.. Usually the way I have it setup is about a 8" pipe going into the turbo with the filter and it sits right between the radiator and motor and have run the best of 11.8@120 with that kind of setup. I guess the only way to find out is to put her together and try it out.

IMAG0051.jpg

Looks pretty spiffy. I would think it would help. More of a ram air effect as well as colder air.

Mine is like that. But I can't compare to a short pipe because it has always been that long.

But be careful! A very heavy rain storm while driving at highway speeds can suck in water. Make sure the filter is angled downwards and is as high up as possible.

Mine is like that. But I can't compare to a short pipe because it has always been that long.

But be careful! A very heavy rain storm while driving at highway speeds can suck in water. Make sure the filter is angled downwards and is as high up as possible.

Im all good there. she has been pulled off rain detail.

Im all good there. she has been pulled off rain detail.

Well I have been out and cleaned up the Tune a little using this setup.. I would say it certainly is NOT hurting anything lol. I see some what cooler intake temps and the power comes on just as before. I am headed to the Import Face off this weekend in Montgomery AL so we shall see how it does.

All of the big power (1000+ HP) Supra guys simply have the air filter clamped directly onto the turbo. Just food for thought.

Got back from Import face off.. I can tell you it certainly didnt Hurt performance..

Ended up running a 11.56@ 122 with a 1.8 60FT..better 60ft and that would have been a 11.3- 11.4 pass. Still got around 26-27mpg as well driving up and back. Supra's as well as other vehicles do not have the turbo, manifold and intake manifold all on the same side. Colder the air you can get to the turbo the better. I just wonder what the ratio of difference in temps are between non compressed and compressed air. example, no cold air intake- 70 deg before turbo = X after compressed.. add cold air intake- 65 deg before turbo = X amount cooler after compressed.

I just wonder what the ratio of difference in temps are between non compressed and compressed air. example, no cold air intake- 70 deg before turbo = X after compressed.. add cold air intake- 65 deg before turbo = X amount cooler after compressed.

There is a formula for that, we use it when designing compressors, and for checking their performance per stage in the field. It takes into account the pressure ratio, efficiency of the stage, etc. It's more involved than PV=nRT, but pretty close.

Cooling the intake air helps more on density, if you want REALLY lower temperatures, use a lower pressure. I have seen L28's making 350+HP at 8PSI of boost... Sure, an intercooler will make it more 'efficient' but at 8psi intercooling is not a 'mandatory' item if you size the compressor accordingly.

Also where you are on the compressors efficiency map will make quite a bit of difference in discharge temperature as well.

There is a formula for that, we use it when designing compressors, and for checking their performance per stage in the field. It takes into account the pressure ratio, efficiency of the stage, etc. It's more involved than PV=nRT, but pretty close.

Cooling the intake air helps more on density, if you want REALLY lower temperatures, use a lower pressure. I have seen L28's making 350+HP at 8PSI of boost... Sure, an intercooler will make it more 'efficient' but at 8psi intercooling is not a 'mandatory' item if you size the compressor accordingly.

Also where you are on the compressors efficiency map will make quite a bit of difference in discharge temperature as well.

I researched compressor maps for quite a while before deciding on my turbo. This 50 trim T3/T4 stage 3 is awesome. most of the whole RPM band, I am in the large section of the island. It just matches the L28 perfectly I think. I do have the na-A cam so that helps and lets me make power all the way to around 6300-6400 RPMs.