HybridZ

Biggest bang for the buck? L28ET

Sarx

Hey all,

I know this topic is beaten to death, but I need to know where to go with my budget and unique set up. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I just picked up a 71 240z with an L28et with 5k miles after rebuild. (To quickly veer off topic, It has low voltage to the coil (6 volts), low spark and will crank, but won't start. Any ideas as to what it could be?). Anyway, the mods done so far are an added wastegate, new fuse box, intercooler, boost increased to 9psi, nismo suspension, rollcage, sparco seats, and electronic ignition. I have a low budget, being a student, and have been doing a lot of looking over the biggest bang for the buck for added performance. I'm looking at a new ECU, but motorsport is $600, and megasquirt looks a little to tough for a "dedicated amateur" like myself. Any recommendations for an <$800 budget? Thanks in advance! :)

post-13973-037252800 1289858142_thumb.jpg

post-13973-011213500 1289858181_thumb.jpg

Some longer intercooler piping would really help. :)

Check all your grounds really well, and contacts to the ECU for starters. Did you buy it in this condition or did it just start this symptom?

Edited by JSM

Okay! I'll look into the longer intercooler piping. I'm thinking of bringing the boost up to 12psi anyways!

I bought it in this condition, the previous owner said that it suddenly died on him but was running well before then. I've been talking on and off with him for about 2 months, and he seems like a pretty straight-forward guy for what it's worth. Alright, I will go through the everything connected to the ECU as well as grounds. Thank you! :)

JSM was being facetious about the longer intercooler piping :)

For an under $800 budget you already named your best bet for an ECU!

Megasquirt has a steep learning curve, but once you're past that learning curve it's smooth sailing from there! You have to be able to look at WHY things need to be done when tuning it, and go from there. It necessitates you being intimate with the car.

Another option would be to look into the z31 ecu upgrade.

Okay! I'll look into the longer intercooler piping. I'm thinking of bringing the boost up to 12psi anyways!

He was joking about longer piping. Your current piping length is measured in yards, whereas most setups are measured in feet. It's very unusual to go the long way around the engine, as the disadvantages of heat exposure, weight, and pressure drop over distance all make this a less attractive option over going straight to the intercooler.

Fix the coil issue: $25.

Fix the no-start issue: $25.

Fix the wiring rats nest in the engine compartment: $25 for wire ties and looms.

Install a battery hold down: $25 for a good hold down clamp and fasteners.

Install a fan shroud: $100 for junkyard parts and fasteners.

Fix the intercooler piping: $50 for parts and $50 for welding.

Reinstall the correct PCV system: $25 for parts from MSA.

Complete tune-up including valve adjustment: $40.

That's $315 right there plus a weekend of work. You're not ready for a new ECU or 12psi of boost.

I dunno, I think he's on to something. The piping after the cooler is significantly shorter, perhaps like a header type of setup so that it's as long as the other side? Extra 1.25yd of cooling!

Leave it to a hybridz member to be thinking about power upgrades meanwhile the car doesn't even start :P Would a standalone really benefit the L6? I'm not sure what the limitations are, seems like they are so simplistic that most of it is le

PS How about more pics of the car, namely the custom grille which I think I like but can't visualize.

Fix the wiring rats nest in the engine compartment: $25 for wire ties and looms.

You're not ready for a new ECU or 12psi of boost.

He doesn't need to start the car, just admire it! But where will the rats sleep?? A loose battery makes life interesting, live on the edge! Agreed, make it longer (what she said)! Everyone is ready for 12psi.

Facetious = WIN

Edited by getoffmyinternet

That's $315 right there plus a weekend of work. You're not ready for a new ECU or 12psi of boost.

im gonna have to agree with that

Lmao. I'm a little embarrassed about the intercooler piping joke - I've only worked on n/a cars before this, and my logic was more pipe = cooler air. Here's some extra pictures. I plan to change add on to the interior and take away the hideous blue harness, as well as delete the rear bumper and add a ducktail. Shoot. Not looking forward to learning the megasquirt... Anyone have any knowledge about swapping to the Z31 computer? Is it worth it?

I was planning to clean up the engine bay as soon as I got it running, which shouldn't be a huge deal. I'm hoping the coil is bad...

post-13973-095190500 1289865895_thumb.jpg

post-13973-044657900 1289865905_thumb.jpg

post-13973-083330100 1289865921_thumb.jpg

post-13973-069485700 1289865935_thumb.jpg

There really aren't any dumb questions on this site, only lazy people who don't search (No accusations toward you.). Now I have been stumped on searching at times and I don't see anything wrong with asking for help on a topic once searched.

I really like the color. You will want to get the car going, gremlins removed first, before you do a thing. It might be the simplest thing. One thing for sure is it will be unique and no one will have your car.

Remember a beautiful car that doesn't run is just a pile of parts, but an ugly running car is transportation.

Edited by JSM

@JSM

I understand where you are coming from. I really wanted to post for a few reasons: I am a long time lurker, and 1.) I finally had a chance to post something 2.) I get to show off my super sexy Z before she gets cleaned up even more and 3.) to see if there were any mods to start researching/looking into for my specific budget.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Use the $685 you have left to put a 3" exhaust on it.

John already hit the nail on the head. Get all the "little things" (like, umm... started) done first, then move onto power mods.

Save up for megasquirt. It's NOT that complicated. It's simpler than a head swap imo, and could be tackled quickly if you're prepped for it. MS will probably help you pick up at least 10% more peak power, probably a good 15% extra power in the lower range, and make the car MORE drivable and get BETTER gas mileage. It's probably the single most important thing you'll replace on the L engine. That stock EFI is the pits.

Lol, alright... I'll do a lot more research into the MS set up (My wallet is already kicking and screaming) <_<

I'll make sure to post the car in the next few weeks after she's all cleaned up and set up the way I want it to be!

EDIT - Looking around, I think I might try out the Z31 ECU swap.

Edited by Sarx

Lol, alright... I'll do a lot more research into the MS set up (My wallet is already kicking and screaming) <_<

I'll make sure to post the car in the next few weeks after she's all cleaned up and set up the way I want it to be!

EDIT - Looking around, I think I might try out the Z31 ECU swap.

You'll get very little sympathy and understanding from the forum on this decision. The MS is clearly the way to go for what you are doing and what you will want to do in the future. The fully assembled boxes are within your price range, it's been done so many times before that you can practically follow the installation step-by-step with various walkthroughs posted here, and if you get stuck help is right here. At some point, responders start wondering why they bother responding when a guy's request for help boils down to, "Please solve my problem for me; BTW I'm dedicated to not understanding my car so make sure your solution doesn't involve me learning anything."

Get the car running first, as previously suggested in meticulous detail. Worry about an ECU upgrade after that.

Edited by Doc Hawk