HybridZ

What Tail lights Would Work on a 240Z ?

Sleek Z

I know what you guys are saying about the Ford lights. And Rick is partial to the classic Cobra Daytona look. But I'm leaning toward a more current (don't read trendy like altezza) look.

Wagz, I don't do photo shop. I've seen people do some incredible things with that. I just can't dedicate the time to learn. If you have the talent and are willing I would love to see what you could do. Were those Supra lights for sale on that site? I found that pair of 300ZX lights on ebay for $75.

Pete I'm flattered by your comments. I agree, I want to seen. The only thing that worries me in this car is it's poor crash-worthiness.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zachb55

Any of you guys think about putting a setup like the R34 Skyline. That would be my dream tail light setup...

Is there any reality to this? think it would work?

i myslef always like the round taillights (could be because of my 2002).to me...while the R34 tailights wouldnt look excatly right on a Z...the would look better than most. while i think they couldhave done better from the factory...what they ended up with still fits the Z well...

the guy thats doing body work on my Z..is building a 240 with 02 celica headlights and R34 taillights...should be interesting to say the least...but hes kinda crazy...

hmmm...

Those 300ZX lights look sweet! Nice job Phil.

Dan - I'm no Photoshop pro, but I'll see what I can do with those Supra lights. However, I need basic measurments of the Toyota lights so I can build a good representation of how they would fit in the Z's tail panel. I know someone on the site recently bought a Supra turbo, I just can't remember who. If I can get someone to send me measurments (and maybe a few more pics) I'll build something in photoshop.

-Marc

Thanks Wagz. Actually, I saw it this morning at around a quarter to 6:00 while on my way to work.

In my mind that is.

And it looks great! I guess you would call it an epiphany. Sometimes I can put pictures together in my mind and see the finished project. When it works I can actually rotate the image and see it from different angles just like a computer.

There, I've confessed. Now you know I'm psycho.

Well, you'll have to judge for yourselves when you see the real pics. I'm heading to the JY's Saturday with my sawzall. I'm not letting out any clues yet. You'll have to wait for the pics!

Nope. I don't think the R32 light "goofy" per se, but I'm not sure how they would fit.

I have some of the older R32 tail lights (both equal in size) and they should fit 'reasonably' well with minimal carnage to the car or light assemblies. The only thing I'm not sure of is how close they'll be once mounted. We all need room for a license plate, right?

Davy

I couldn't resist playing around with the Supra tail lights idea.

Dan - My apologies to you and Eric for taking liberties with a photo of your car. ;) Anyway, here is a fairly good idea of how they might look.

dansjudays.jpg

No jokes about my lack of photo editing skills. BTW, here is the Supra I borrowed the lights from.

Wagz,

In the name of this kind of interesting experimentation, take all the 'liberties' with my photos of Dan's car you care to. I think you have hit upon a pretty good idea with these Supra 4 poppers. Even dropped in a hurry, they show promise.

I wish I had the time to work up my own Illustrator and Photoshop concepts that I have had in my mind for years, but alas, I am swamped with other concerns. Very glad you are contributing the photoshop "what if's" for us all.

Maybe you could try out the same on the rear view shot I recently took of Dan's car with the flares added at http://www.zparts.com/events/dj_bbq_070602_ps/pages/dcp_4690.htm or http://www.zparts.com/events/dj_bbq_070602_ps/images/dcp_4692.jpg

dcp_4690.jpgdcp_4692.jpg

btw, if any of you out there with35mm or digital cameras get the bug to try similar "what if" photos of tail light ideas you see around your neighborhood or at car shows, I'd recommend that you be sure to use the same lens focal length to shoot all shots including any rear view shot of a Z car that you want to superimpose ideas onto. I prefer longer focal lengths in the 100-200mm range equivelant on a 35mm.

Secondly, try to shoot all rear end views centered at identical distance from the cars and as close to the same camera height. I prefer the exact height of the center of the tail lights and another from standing eye level aproximately 10-20 feet away from rear of car. Keep it uniform and you'll be able to drop in images that will look credible.

Place the camea on a tripod at dusk and you can take cool shots of lights on and off on the car if someone in the car can hold down the brake pedal while the parking and headlights are on at the same time. COOL effect if lit up tail lights do not overexpose badly!

Sleek Z

i agree 100% on the R34 taillights :

i-1.JPG

does anybody know vince cox? he has a first gen with a custom tail light panel taking up the entire taillight/liceneseplate area. its interesting..you either love it or hate it. but its an idea.

anywho. as long as the lights work...im going to stick with my stock lights...

anywho...

When I have some time this evening I'll mess-around with these some more.

I still have the problem of not having the exact dimensions of the donor lights so, I have to eyeball these the best I can.

Dan - Do you have any (or know where I can find) 'straight-on' photos of 300ZX lights? I may be able to do something whith some of the photos taken at an angle, but it'll be a challenge with my meager skills.

-Marc

This reminds me of the "dvd player in your z car" thread last week...again, to each his own!

I'm sticking to the stock lites, just wish they were brighter. I'm not against the mods suggested here, I just haven't seen anything I like. Eric's tail lite gallery is a good idea. BTW, that picture of the GTO, I think that's what Tim240Z is doing.

Owen