HybridZ

What Tail lights Would Work on a 240Z ?

Sleek Z

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Has anyone done the 93-98 supra conversion yet? I found a used set in great condition that I can get a good deal on and have really been thinking about the conversion but I dont have a good enough idea of what it would look like because I havent seen any supras around town that I can grab a pic at the right distance and angle.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

how about this:

album_pic.php?pic_id=1729

(borrowed a pic and edited the tail lights.)

I think that looks awesome!

Just get some flat lenses and two rows of LEDs in each fixture.

my friend has a 69 (i think its the same as a 68.. and we were talking about that idea for my Z... i think it would look cool but i love the stock lights on the Z.. plus it saves me money :D

mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after Nic-Rebel450CA posted the modified photo of my car, I figured I had nothing to lose but to go ahead and post what I had built, but it just was not primed until today. His idea was basically the same as what I had constructed, in that a divider is used to split the single tail light into what would appear to be two lights, one on top the other, similar to his photo.standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Very nice Terry. What a differance a small change can make. Like you, I was inspired by a PhotoShopped pic that came up on this thread.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it already, but here is a shot of the (almost) finished product.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1851

Picture taken by Jon Miwa a.k.a. Jumbo240ez

More pics Dan! That blue looks a mile deep, and I like the rear end treatment. In response to ON3GO, no LEDs here, I simply used the same tail lights I had chosen before, only this time I split them and then added another layer of red acrylic in over the tail light lenses. This layer is not a true prismatic acrylic, but instead came off an old Buick tail light cover that I cut, shaped, and polished for a smoother, more homogenous external appearance. Below is a photo of all the parts prior to assembly.

standard.jpg

Your pictures didn't show up before Terry, but now they are working. I didn't think you would redo the taillights again, so I figured you did something crafty. That's pretty cool, splitting up those (F-150?) taillights like that. Very original... like all the rest of your Z 8) .

EDIT: Hey Terry, I just remembered that I did something similar to my old CRX, and even after it was painted and everything was finished the taillight's light would show through the piece of fiberglass at night. I had to disassemble it and put a few heavy coats of black paint on the backside so no light would show through.

!M!

Terry - I really like the divider. Every time I looked at it before the divider' date=' "sideways Ford Pickup taillights" popped into my head and "bothered" me :).

[/quote']

Pete, you're a good diplomat. I had the same feeling but couldn't find a nice way to say it. :wink:

Dan - we need to see pics of the car in paint!!!!!!

Sorry guys, but only the close up, or close cropped shots look good when you're still missing door handles, all the glass, headlights, the list goes on. Be patient, I worked on it some today. Another week or two and it will be presentable enough for a full body shot.

Guest polarity

Terri I dont guess you would give us more info on your lights there.. I saw the materials you used but I cant seem to put it all together in my head. Any more info you could give me would be great (your doing all the things I wish I could do with that car)

Billy

Dan, forgive me if I missed it elsewhere, but are those Z32 lights on your car? If so, 73TPIZ and I discussed that exact modification at the Reynolds event a couple weeks ago.

Dan, forgive me if I missed it elsewhere, but are those Z32 lights on your car? If so, 73TPIZ and I discussed that exact modification at the Reynolds event a couple weeks ago.

Yes you are correct. If you have the time scan some of the 19 (ugg) pages of this thread and you will run across a photo shopped pic of my car before paint with the lights digitaly graphed in. The actual install was a little more complicated. In the end, the entire rear panel from the hatch down and from fender to fender was replaced or covered with new metal panels, formed, welded in place, and finished without a seam. I take credit only for the design. The majority of the work was done by Mach Autobody of Sacramento.

bs1.w.jpg

Guest kustom240

I was thinking about this thread, and the first thing that popped into my mind was CORVETTE. Ok, not the new style, but these:

3b_1_s.JPG

73 vette

b3_1_s.JPG

74 vette

1a_1.JPG

77 vette, no whale tail

I'm pretty sure the second two are glass. Is it possible for me to hack, slash, and patch the glass 'till it fits on a 240? Or would I have to get all new glass?