HybridZ

Harmonic Dampner looks like hell

jakeoster

Well the other day I was working on a few things on the Z and I was visually reminded of how damaged my harmonic dampner is.

Here's an older picture of it...

DSCN2035.jpg

There are considerable chunks missing out of it.

I was looking around and the options seem to be either a Ross or an ATI. I was leaning more towards the Ross as it's more available.

Now they run about $500, I was wondering if this issue is in dire need of fixing or not. It must be causing some kind of vibrations but does it take first priority over say a turbo that leaks quite a bit of oil into the intake side of the engine?

Thanks for the guidance.

Edited by jakeoster

Of course it's never good like that but I don't see a problem with running it as long as you don't spin the motor up a lot...

You might also want to try BHJ Dampers. They sell L-series dampers with trigger wheel setup, sensor and sensor bracket, for $500. The damper by itself is like $370 or something. Maybe RB motors will be around that range.

Of course it's never good like that but I don't see a problem with running it as long as you don't spin the motor up a lot...

You might also want to try BHJ Dampers. They sell L-series dampers with trigger wheel setup, sensor and sensor bracket, for $500. The damper by itself is like $370 or something. Maybe RB motors will be around that range.

I dunno about that price quote there. All the L series harmonic dampers I've looked at there START at around $457, and another $140 and change for a trigger wheel. That's not even counting sensors or brackets (which I don't see there).

I dunno about that price quote there. All the L series harmonic dampers I've looked at there START at around $457, and another $140 and change for a trigger wheel. That's not even counting sensors or brackets (which I don't see there).

No dice anyway, they dont carry them for the RB. I gave it a looksee.

bloody expensive things... First page up on google was http://www.endevourengineering.co.nz/rb-26r34-ross-harmonic-balancer-metal-jacket-series.-xidp221256.html and they want 780NZD for the Ross one in NZ nearly 600USD, even with shipping and markup I wouldn't think you'd get them stateside for much change from $500.

Find someone pulling a blown RB apart and snag an OEM in good condition would be my advice, it's obviously holding up alright even while buggered, so your engine can't be stressing it too much. I've a RD28 and a couple of RB20's here but shipping to the US would be a killer.

Now I'm just trying to decide which one to get. It's between the Ross Nexus and the Ross Metal Jacket. I think I might be leaning towards the Nexus though because it's not as expensive as the metal jacket.

Nexus: http://rawbrokerage.com/Ross-Tuffbond-Nexus-Harmonic-Balancer-RB25DET-306101.htm

Metal jacket: http://rawbrokerage.com/Ross-Metal-Jacket-RB25DET-Harmonic-Balancer-306201.htm

As for a used oem, I've learned several times not to cut corners on an RB. It always seems to come back and nip you in the butt. I figure it would be wise to spend some money on a rotating mass like this

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, those pulley's are almost half the price I paid for my RB. They better make it go that much faster. I'd just find a good used one.

It's a preventative part, not a go fast bit. My last attempt at buying a used oem part was a disaster and I was bearly able to get my money back. Now I just figure that most of the time if I buy used oem and it fails and I have to buy another then I might as well have bought a quality part in the first place.

I just lucked into an ATI Super damper with approx 10k on it for $ 350.00. Also, the shop had a brand new, still half wrapped in plastic, never installed Tomei RB28. I almost soiled myself when I saw it on the stand. The guy was getting nervous because of all the finger prints I was putting on it. I was told for $ 28k I could have one too. It was glorious.

Well it seems as though things have changed. I got a smoking deal on a brand new oem one. Only $100 shipped and it is brand new oem. Im happy, saved me 250 and some-odd dollars over the nexus damper from ross which is basically a stronger stock style one.

I have also figured out a good solution for my turbo. Should have the Z running optimal in the near future.