HybridZ

Items needed for a RHD Swap

Guest skimattybee

Guest skimattybee

Ok so i have this idea running through my head to do a RHD swap in my 260, but im not sure what all this entails. im not sure if this is very realistic. so im trying to put togather a list of items that i would need, and also how hard are these items to find, and at what cost?

so obviously i will need:

1. a RHD dash (ny condition that is restorable)

2.RHD Firewall (as long as it isnt rusted out)

After this i am lost... any help is greatly appriciated

Don't forget RHD steering rack,steering column,Switchs, and pedal assembly. You don't need a firewall. the existing firewall is used and holes are cut for column and pedals.the best way to do this swap is to find a donor car or a front clip to supply parts.

RHD can be kind of fun but it has its drawbacks also. Passing can be rather IFFY when a truck is in front of you. It will not be an inexpensive swap.

Mongo

Well, the dash will run you $1500 or so, minimum, I should think. I could be wrong, but I'm sure it isn't cheap. You'll need the pedal box, the steering column, a steering rack (you might be able to flip it), the firewall, and a new throttle pedal. Oh, and since you have a series 2 car, you'll need most or all of the JDM body harness. Otherwise you're going to need to cut your factory harness to ribbons or build a completely new harness.

It's a cool swap, and they're awesome to own (I own one.), but in the end, it's an exercise in impracticality. This is one of four cars that I own, so practicality in it is NOT an issue. I love the car, and enjoy driving it, but in a car that I wanted to possibly use on a daily basis? Absolutely not.

Oh, and you'll need to obtain the JDM heater box and blower motor if you want a factory heat/ac system.

You'd be better off buying a real Fairlady for what you'll have tied into the parts. The only reason I managed to do mine is because I had a real Fairlady that was rusted to pieces and a decent/fair series1 Z to play with. And I managed to get it all at a good deal. Otherwise? LHD FTMFW.

Guest skimattybee

wow, i thought i would be able to reuse some of the LHD parts such as the steering column ,wiring harness and just move the wiper motor and arms over to the RHD location. thanks for all of the info! right now this car is my daily driver but it will soon be a weekend toy whether or not i do the RHD swap or not. the next thing on the list is an l28et. Just trying to think ahead and finish the to-do list before i dig to deep and change my mind

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the wiper cowl. I got rid of my wipers...lol.

Yeah, skimattybee, the 260 and 280Z wiring is specific to RHD or LHD. For that matter, so is the series1, but where the series 2 uses RHD or LHD specific molded plastic wire loom for the dash harness, the series 1 stuff uses regular old convoluted tubing and little bendy clip things to hold the harness in place. It can be swapped over pretty easily, where the series2 stuff can't be swapped easily.

But yeah, it's a pretty big thing, and honestly, for the expense, trouble, and lack of "originality", I would just buy an original RHD car. They come onto the market now and again, and you might be able to snag one at a decent price. I love my car, but it will forever be a swapped 240Z, not a Fairlady. <_<

For $1500, you can buy a Fairlady Z, why cut up a car when you can get one already done properly and not have the worries of a hack.

Pedal Cluster. Pedals bend the other way on the RHD cars. LHD pedal clusters in an RHD Z look like the cluster "?" they really are!

For $1500, you can buy a Fairlady Z, why cut up a car when you can get one already done properly and not have the worries of a hack.

Pedal Cluster. Pedals bend the other way on the RHD cars. LHD pedal clusters in an RHD Z look like the cluster "?" they really are!

Exactly. I hacked, even if I hacked in the most proper way I could think of to hack, with all the proper parts save the firewall, and still...it's hacked. Unfortunately, I'll always know it was hacked, and that is aggravating. So if you want RHD, my suggestion is the same as Tony's. Buy one.

Now, as for Tony...just where exactly can I find a Fairlady for $1500. I'd REALLY like to know.

Guest skimattybee

yes, ive pretty much decided to start saving up some cash and wait for a fairlady to pop onto the market. a $1500 fairlady seems almost unheard of...? does anyone know where i could find one?:)

Check Craigslist daily (allofcraigs.com to check all cities' listings). You'll find one listed for more...make an offer & wait a month or two, than he'll call you back, ready to take your offer. Be patient, and have your funds ready for when it happens.

Now, as for Tony...just where exactly can I find a Fairlady for $1500. I'd REALLY like to know.

I can think of no less than three driver Fairlday Z's that sold for that or less in the western region of the USA this past year. There was also a rustbucket back east for $400 as a parts car, and one in a junkyard outside mount home idaho which was bought piece-by-piece on 99 cent e-bay auctions last spring. Sadly, the guy at the junkyard would NOT answer e-mails about larger pieces of the car, thinking he was going to make a killing on the pieces. I got the dash for 99 cents plus shipping. I got the entire wiring harness for under 20$. The steering column complete with switches for 99 cents. The heater box for similar. I spent more in SHIPPING than I did for buying every part needed on this list above! I think the total was under $200 for everything.

I had offered the guy $1000 for the rights to dismantle the entire car including panels I would take from the site, but he never responded. I made the same offer of $400 for selected panels from any hulk he may have had left over after his stripping operations, but nothing was ever responded to in that regard, either.

They are out there, if you are looking. Or know where to look. I have seen cars for sale at MSA for $1500 just to move them which nobody gave a second look at, but the week after the event it goes on e-bay for $3500 and the guy flys down and drives it off! Talk about a conflicted seller...nobody wanted it for $1500, but at $3500 it goes on a buy it now in 24 hours! :huh:

As Matt suggests, do more than WANT it.... have the cash RESERVED and IN HAND as when the opportunity arises cash talks and makes the deal. This is a rule which can not be transgressed...

Edited by Tony D

It's only one man's opinion but I think you'd be unhappy in the long run with a RHD vehicle. The upside is a unique and cool ride that everyone wants to comment on. The downside is RHD specific parts avialability, paying highway tolls or getting parking slips at a parking garage, pulling out from a parallel spot on a busy road, making lefthand turns across a busy road, drive-thru fast food windows, bank drive-thru ATM's, etc. I know what I'm talking about as I have a RHD Range Rover and have driven multiply RHD british cars/trucks on this side of the pond. Imagine having to unbuckle and get out of your car to do any of the things mentioned? In a truck it is a little easier since you're already at service window height but in a low slung car it is a PITA unless you have a passenger on every occasion.

"The downside is RHD specific parts avialability, paying highway tolls or getting parking slips at a parking garage, pulling out from a parallel spot on a busy road, making lefthand turns across a busy road, drive-thru fast food windows, bank drive-thru ATM's, etc."

I go with Mr. JDM on this one... dominant hand on the wheel. Backing through a drive through was always a lark. Having the passenger hand the drivethrough attendant a steering wheel and say "hold this while I get my cash" and pay was always funny. I guess having a Japanese RHD is more fun than the misery associated with most British Products... I never found any of these to be any sort of large stressor or inconvienience.

And of course, in SoCal there are dual-lane drivethru's at In-n-Out Burger, so getting fed in an RHD is not an issue at all. You pay from the side of the car you are on, not an issue.

I would say the positives outweigh the negatives for a Japanese Car. British cars bring their own type of misery of their own, so I wouldn't apply that misery to a Japanese Car.