HybridZ

On the Rotisserie and ready to spin!!!

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I mounted my stripped 240z body on my home-made rotisserie tonight! By myself! What a hoot!!!! :D

It’s pretty bottom heavy right now, but I made the rotisserie adjustable so I can fix that tomorrow. I’m so tired right now I could drop, but I’m also so jazzed up I can’t sleep.

Most people have no clue about the fun you can have creating something from a pile of scrap and have it perform as planned! I keep going out the the garage, turning on the light and just looking at the Z suspended in the air. I can't stop grinning. 2thumbs.gif

Yes I was suprised how well mine worked too. I had the same reaction also, I would just go out and roll it around and look at the car.

If yours is bottem heavy now adjust it because if you are putting subs in it will just get heaver on the bottem. Mine is on it's wheels now and I can't belive how much less work it was when the car was able to be rotated like that. By a bunch of scrap no less.

Don

Pretty cool when a plan comes together. :D I've got my stripped 240 on a rotisserie I built using two engine stands. I had the two stands laying around already. All I had to do was remove the casters, mount them to some blocks of 4x6 post to give them the required height and and get the pivot points to level and fabricate the body mounts. I got lucky on guessing where the center of gravity was going to be. It's only slightly bottom heavy and I can rotate the car with one hand. It's been a GREAT help this week while installin the subframe connectors.

I'm guilty of spinnin' the car just because I can. ;)

Hi all,

its nice to see that others are going to the trouble of building a rotisserie for their zed!!!

I rebuilt my 240Z on a rotisserie that I built myself and placed the car on it by using primitive jacks as well. It came very useful for sanblasting the shell, stonechipping and painting the underside.

There are photos of my RB26DETT powered 240Z in the other forum sections or on the link in my signiture.

Respect to all those that are "doing it properly!!!"

Guest Anonymous

I can't imagine tackling a restoration/mod without a rotissirie - my old back thanks me everytime I work on the Z. Pics of my spinner can be seen via my site - I had it custom made because the features I wanted required fabricating I don't have the tools for. And I know what you mean about getting pure pleasure just seeing your Z suspended in mid-air!!

Ain't it great...don't ya feel like such the restoration Pro when you walk into your garage and the Z is up on it's side or upside down?!!

I know I did. I REALLY can't imagine doing the subframe connectors with the car horizontal..HOLY COW!! that would have been a PITA!!!!

Kudo's man!!

Tim

• 3 months later...

I knew my center of gravity would change while I added on to my rollcage, so I counterweighted one end of it. I can easily spin the car and add or take weight off as needed. Pictures of it can be found at, http://zdriver.com/rides/detailride.php?cat=1&relIdx=20&vehId=1580

Hope that helps someone who didn't quite find the right pivot point. Steve

• 2 weeks later...

after looking at pics of other rotissuries, I think I went a little overboard on mine. It is is on wheels and constructed of 1/4"x3" box steel and weighs approx 400.lbs. :eek: It is large enough and strong enough to hold a full size car though. ;)

I originally built it for my 71 chevelle, but now I`m building brackets to fit the Z.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 400 ci 280z

james do you have plans or anything for the top portions of the rotisserie? i have built the bases and had gotten plans from someone but do not know where i had put them. thanks a lot.

chris burnout.gif

Guest jdllaugh

Sorry to say I don't have any plans for the rotisserie. I scribbled down some measurements as I was cutting and welding, but I've lost the piece of paper. Basically, I went through a pile of scrap tubing and found pieces that fit together. The round stuff that pivits is approximately 2.5" inside of a 3" tube. Wall's are probably around .120. I also used some rectangular tubing in the top to allow for adjustability that is like 1x2 inside 1.5x2.5 or so. Pictures on my web page should give you a good idea of how it should look.

Once I got the balance right, it's been a breaze to spin.

Right now I have the driver's side floor cut out and a new floor roughed into shape. I've had kind of a mental block against welding it into place, though. The car's been on the spinner for four months now!!! At this rate, I may be able to get it rolling in another two or three years. bonk.gif

Guest 400 ci 280z

thanks for the help. i will look at the pictures and see what i can do. also sorry for the late reply i have been in mexico for a few days. thanks again. cheers.gif