HybridZ

1973 240Z with vinyl top

Guest kcambron

Guest kcambron

I have a 1973 240Z that has a vinyl top, I am debating to keep the top(it looks kind of hoaky!)

or to change to a hardtop.

Is this top "factory", dealer installed or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for your relies. Kevin

i would want to take that top off, but the glue they use to hold it on could be nearly impossible to remove without damaging the paint underneath, and i know most people dont want to run with a bare metal roofed z or a funny primered roof, maybe wait until youre ready to paint it, or run some DUBS.

Guest Anonymous

(a possible haven for rust)A genuine vinyl top on an old 240 ? Late 60's to 70's fad. Sweat shops were working overtime to keep up with the consumer demand.No covertibles were being produced so hardtops were made to look like soft tops. Be prepared.. you might find a lot of rust under that vinyl.

Guest kcambron

I'm sorry to say you where right about the rust under the vinyl top!

I pulled it off, no problem, what I seen underneath made me want to pi!@# my pants!Rust so bad in a few places that it is THRU the metal!AARRAGGH!!

This is going to be tough to fix but I am into this project to far to retreat,I feel like a Marine in the trenches.

Any tips on welding metal patches on the roof? This has got to be tough!

Guest Anonymous

aaib....there was a post about removing a sun roof a few days ago/ I suggested using a flanging tool made from a straight jaw vise grips with off set plates welded to the jaws like sold in the Eastwood catalog. Another member pointed out that Harbor Freight sold an air operated flanging tool. The flange tool can frame the edges of the cut out area where a piece of replacement sheetmetal will set flush in the flange "frame" to the surrounding body sheet metal allowing a person to weld the replacement piece in the flange frame rather than a butt weld. Also the gap in the flange weld is less likely to burn thru from the welding heat since you are essentially welding the edges of one piece over another piece.

My car had originally had a vinyl top as well. The car was silver and the top was black. The previous owner had already yanked it off but there was/is still some rust damage. There is a lot of pitting along the front of the top and maybe two or three pin holes. I dont really think I have any patching to do so that is good.

Guest kcambron

Dude, you got lucky!

My car is also silver with black top, I just took the vinyl top off found about six holes about the size of a dime and one the size of a quarter that is THRU,not cool!

I thought this car was pretty straight but the suprises just keep showing up!

Thanks for the tips above, I am going to explore those options and using a electritions hole cutter to cut nice round holes with no warpage and make a male and female plug.