HybridZ

Custom 240z air conditioning?

zeiss150

Hi Guys! I've searched high and low, and I can't seem to find a thread on building a really good custom air conditioning system for the 240Z's. I saw a thread where a guy was gonna do it, but then it turned into a a condenser argument, so anyway...

My Goal = have a 1972 240Z with a kick a$$ air conditioning system.

My plan = NOTHING!

This is where I need your help. I can build and fix just about anything, with enough time, money, and advice. so I need your advice on what parts I can get from the bone yard that will work with a 240Z (it can be from any car as long as it will work).

I know I need a condenser, evaporator, compressor and hoses to connect them as well as some sort of a box to hold the evaporator that goes under the dash. I would also need the "on off" switch and any other electronics But other than that, I don't know what I need or HOW TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER.

I did change my 240 fan to a honda fan... it blows hard, so I have that taken care of.

so you guys suggest it and I'LL do it... sounds like fun! right?

YES! I do know that Motorsport sells a brand new A/C kit .... I don't want to spend $1400! And I like to do things myself. I also know about vintage air...same problem, to much money, not enough "fun".

So, drop some knowledge on me! Tell me what you have used from other cars or what I should use from an old ZX or whatever.

Thanks, Matt

P.S. if no body has ever done this or thought about it I will just wing it and turn this into an A/C build thread...whats the worst that can happen?

Check out Vintage Air Systems in Texas. Their Gen II system is pretty much a bolt in for a Z. Their website has all the dimensions and their system is servo motor controlled giving you maximum flexibility on air flow, defrost, blend doors for AC etc. If you want to go a cheaper route I have a complete system from my '71 that I am not going to use

My .02,

Use components that came from cars with mechanical controls. Im talking about the type that used cables attached to the knobs you were turning. This will make adaptation between components and controls easier, allowing you to mismatch in your favor. Also, look for modern cars as donors, so you can recharge easily. Your going to end up fabricating, so don't limit yourself to Nissan unnecessarily, Honda's apparently have components similar in size to the s30 pieces they will replace, so that might be worth exploring. Also, some car models are available with AC control relocation panels (usually used when you need a double din for ICE but, the kits are usually in a din format themselves. This might make it easy to get controls into the S30 dash without any cutting or fiberglass, etc...

I have put in a bunch of the Vintage Air setups and they work pretty well...but I don't think that's what he is looking for. They do have some nice tech info on their site though.

It's not that difficult to grab a whole hvac box from a newer car and adapt it. That would get you the controls, ducting, blower motor, and evaporator in one shot. After that you just mount a good compressor on your engine, run the compressor clutch wire to a binary switch in the high pressure line and back to the thermostat inside the car. Then just mount a condenser up front and a drier somewhere and start plumbing. You can buy rubber AC hose and crimp on ends at big parts stores like NAPA. There are also JIC/AN 37* flare stuff from aeroquip but they are very expensive (and look nice) If you get the crimo ends you will have to buy a crimping tool or have someone do it for you as you make up the hoses and mark how each end is clocked.

You don't really need much of a system to keep the inside of a Z cool. It's a small cabin. I would suggest a layer of heat insulation on the firwall and floor to help it work better though.

You don't really need much of a system to keep the inside of a Z cool. It's a small cabin.

Says the guy from Maine!

I have the Vintage Air Gen ll Mini and couldn't be happier. Cools the car off in 90 degree heat no problem. The problem with the add on airs for the Z is they suck through the evaporator and IMO is not efficient. Back in the 80's I worked in the parts department at datsun and we had a ton of old blowers and evaps laying around I tried all kinds of combos but nothing is as good as a modern add on like the Vintage unit.

Derek

Thanks for all the replys! I read a post about the "draw through" system. The post stated that it works awesome as long as the system is sealed. if there are any leaks before the evaporator its not going to cool.

I like the idea of using a honda civic or nissan sentra A/C system. they seem small, clean and usable. but how do I addapt it to the 240 setup? I'm sure its not a draw through... and can I put a "push through" system in a 240Z?

thanks again guys

Matt-

Ok I found a bunch of parts that I can get for cheep, honda, nissan... Buttttttttt can I use a 280zx turbo condenser that used R12 with a newer R134 system? Or should I just use all the same kind of parts?

Matt-

Yes. Make sure to clean out the old oil(mineral) it does not mix well with the 134a oil(PAG).(POE oil does work with both r12 and 134a).

Edited by ozzzzz

• 1 year later...

Yes. Make sure to clean out the old oil(mineral) it does not mix well with the 134a oil(PAG).(POE oil does work with both r12 and 134a).

I have a 75. Can I just use the 280ZX AC system? The plumming might be different but what about all the parts? Thanks guys.