HybridZ

240z rear bumper removal

Z31TURBODRAY

I don't know if I was serious or not.

I guess that's what you get for asking to be spoon fed information rather than simply looking it up.

How about looking in a haynes manual, or even better yet, the FSM!

We even have a nifty search feature here on this site that would probably yield the same information.

Sorry if I come across as being a bit crass :)

I've never had any problem removing the bumper from a 240Z. The bumper bracket bolts on from the outside. Never had to mess with the fuel tank for that. Later models (260, 280) have bumper shocks which are more difficult to remove.

You do NOT need to remove the gas tank. It will make it easier, but its not required. I would be more worried about the bolt being rusted on there. Ive had a couple that didnt come off until they snapped. One took me about 45 mintues at the JY in the heat :angry: .

And by that poiint the mounting surface on the bumper was all sorts of bent.

Edited by stravi757

I guess the responses were kinda funny but anyway ill take pics I think mine is messed up because theres really no way to get in there.

Trust me. Get a ratcheting wrench. With you left hand pull the bottom of the body panel out, it will flex enough to get your right arm up in there. With your right hand/arm, reach up in, slide the ratcheting end of the wrench over the bolt, start wrenching and you're done. I thought I was gonna have to drop the tank, but after realizing I could get a wrench on it, I went to my tool box, grabbed the ratcheting wrench and it came off in minutes.

I see now that you are talking about the bolts on the ends of the bumpers (my mistake) but I agree with mxgsfmdpx that you do not have to move the fuel tank. I've removed and reinstalled the rear bumper several times on several 240zs and never had to mess with the fuel tank. You just need the right wrench and a little patience.

Seriously, that website I gave you with the microfiche also has the Factory Service Manuals, which will help you a ton with stuff like this. Haynes and Chilton are also great tools to cross reference for figuring out the best way to attack problems like this.

Seriously, that website I gave you with the microfiche also has the Factory Service Manuals, which will help you a ton with stuff like this. Haynes and Chilton are also great tools to cross reference for figuring out the best way to attack problems like this.

I use a quarter inch drive ratchet and an open end wrench with the gas tank in place to remove/replace the bumper.