HybridZ

L series cams

calvin280zxt

There is a thread about heads, what there from, specs and what they would be good for. why not do the same about cams, i know everybody wants an 'A' cam but there must be other good ones to, far better than my l28et wheezotron cam anyway. for example i have an 82 n/a cam, is it going to do me any good in my l28et?

i was kinda hoping people could post there own experiences with different cams, hp numbers etc

Regarding stock L6 cams, there isn't a significant difference in performance between them for a street driven car. In all cases you're better off getting an aftermarket cam. Because racers in some classes are restricted to using stock cams, there have been some efforts in determining which cams might make more power. In the testing I've seen the differences are within the statistical noise of the engine dyno (+/- 1%). The state of tune of the engine is far more important then the stock cam in the head.

And for those racers, its not the "A" cam.

Those durations on the AltanticZ site aren't at 0.050", right?

Seat to seat.

Most peoples focus here is on making HP at revs so that kinda means the stock cam is rarely used. Like John said, if a class requires it, then again the search is for power and with such small lifts and durations and with such minor differences, it's not worth too much power worrying about which cam you have. (A or C or whatever)

However, in the realm of street use, with low speed torque being the king, there ARE noticable differences in the cam profiles. The amount of cam advance is a tuning tool also and I have found so much of a difference in performance by just doing that, it was like I was installing a different cam each time.

My favourite stock grind cam is the "B" profile. It's currently in position "2" which I find a good compromise between off the line acceleration and willingness to rev to the shift point (auto trans). Position "3" is excellent for towing or burnouts! Position "1" doesn't come alive until 3500 rpm and will spin well to the shift point and beyond if held. Great for highway cruising/long interstate trips where the extra bit of power is useful for overtaking.(Position "1" is the factory setting too so I wonder why the factory opted for this when I find I get much more torque on 3 and even 2. Maybe that aspect was left to the diesel Cedrics, the petrol powered ones were the "faster" ones? :lol: )

Who wants to design a variable cam drive for the L series....come on, someone's gotta know how to do it/adapt it?

What does Tony say "I digress...."? :P

Why don't you play with your cam timing for a bit....get the feel for what I'm saying? I had a boosted L28 at one point.....just didn't know then what I know now!

Edited by ozconnection

• 3 weeks later...

I have an internal oiled cam with a 'K' stamp.

I see this letter is not listed in the Atlantic Z cam chart.

It came out of a 280ZX. Non turbo.

Well I feel better now. I was looking for an "A" grind for my turbo head and came across a "K" in a P79 head which of course isn't listed in "the chart".

Edited by FricFrac