HybridZ

MSA Console arm rest cup holder. Like-Dislike?

gvincent

Anybody have the MSA Console Arm Rest / Cup Holder, for the 70-78 240Z-260Z-280Z?

found here:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/50-2570

I'm tired of driving and trying to hold a hot or cold beverage between my legs.

I know some have modified the ashtray in the past but I couldn't get any info from the old posts

Does it get in the way while shifting?

Is it at a comfortable resting height or is it even useful to rest your elbow/arm?

Looking for some feedback on people who have or have had these before I drop 100 bucks on one of these.

Thanks,

Greg

post-1241-098072300 1297221961_thumb.jpg

Greg,

I have one in my 76 280Z. It works fine. It doesn't accommodate anything larger in diameter than a standard soda can (Arizona Teas won't fit).

After I installed a pair of Honda CRX seats the console lid wouldn't open so I had to move the hinges so it opens to the back instead of to the sides. It does open without alterations with the stock seats.

Dave Ruiz

post-5050-086047300 1297274287_thumb.jpg

post-5050-091422200 1297274538_thumb.jpg

Edited by daver

Greg-

No personal experience w/ that product...but if you decide to buy one, you might be able to get a little better price from ZBarn. They also have some pix of the armrest installed on their website: "http://www.zbarn.com/New%20Parts%20F./Saddle%20Console/saddle%20Z%201.htm".

r/John

JHM,

Thanks, the same thing for $20 less!

So no large coffees or Ice coffees.

I would like one to fit where the ashtray is but only single cup and bigger size hole, the passenger can hold their own!

or one that hangs or attaches to the passenger side of the console but still in reach?

I usually just rest a drink on the ashtray cover and hold it when cornering or braking, a pain while shifting though always afraid of it spilling.

I was hoping one of the two guys from this thread would come forward with their ashtray/cup holder mods

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/69658-cheap-fix/

Edited by gvincent

For years I just removed the ash tray and set my large soda cup down in the hole. I can't do that now because my USB jack for my entertainment system lives down in the former ash tray hole.

Try it.

Edited by Miles

I was looking at cup holder options before I started driving it and realized that the ashtray is the best cupholder I've ever had in a car. I just stick cans inside the ashtray because it squeezes the can inside it so it won't come out easily. Then if I have a bottled drink I remove the ashtray and put the bottle in the hold and shut the door on it for extra security.

Edited by Grim

Don't have swap meets like that on the east coast, anyway it seems it will not get in the way for shifting and yeah the holders are small,

I may look into cutting it up and making the holes bigger and taller and then recovering it in a glued down soft pleather.

I'll scrounge the junkyards for some ideas on modifying it as soon as it gets warm enough to melt all this damm snow!

Actually just noticed from everyones pics the older ones it seems are much shorter, I got an older short one, I'll try it for a while and then decide to mod it or go with making a single holder for the ashtray and sell this one.

Greg

Edited by gvincent