HybridZ

260z? Yes or no?

What are your eventual plans for it? Nothing really wrong with 260s, just takes a little more research to find the correct parts. It's not really something that should deter you, especially if its in good condition. Finding Zs that aren't rusted out can be difficult, so finding one with manageable (I won't even say rust free) rust should be your primary decision factor.

If you have a fear of the number 6, or don't want to have a car that was only made for a short time... I would say that could make you not want it.

Yes, like they said, there is no real reason to not get one, unless you want a late 280 for all of the heavy upgrades, or if you want an original, early 240, then the 260 is not for you. There should be nothing else that would deter you from getting it, beside what you said, the normal Z stuff.

Since when is a 260z undesirable?! In stock form as far as the engine goes they are kind of a step child. But as far as chassis goes... The one with the least rust should win!

My project car is a 260z and love it! Early 260z's are like 240z's... later 260z's are like 280z's. It was a year of transition for s30's. A transition from the 240z to the 280z.

The only difference between an early 260z and a 240z is the tail lights as far as chassis and look goes.

Alright cool, I am going to try and go take a look, this one just happens not to have a phone number so I have to rely on email. From the ad it pretty much has fading paint mostly on the hood, it says rust but doesn't say how much. And it comes with a very nice set of something that looks like a set of western cyclone's.

I think that the owners who had issues with tuning the Flatop carbs are the main ones who might bad mouth the 260Z. That is the only real issue I have heard about them. Other then the late model ugly big bumpers. But you can always swap early bumpers and put on Round top SU carbs, depending on which state you live in. I own a late model 260z by the way. Modified it.

I am gonna try hard to get this 260z, its a 74 so it has the good bumpers.

Just to be a bit anal: In the US, saying it's a 260 and a 74 is redundant.

And just to be clear, the "good bumpers" isn't defined by the 74 model year -- it's an early vs late production in that model year. Also, the 1973 240Z's and the 260Z's both had the flat-top carbs, which gained a bad reputation. Those with more carb knowledge than I can tell you if this reputation is well-deserved or not.

There is one reason to pick a 260Z over a 280Z: Exemption from bi-annual smog tests in CA. (I know, it's not applicable for you, but it was a factor for me.)

Sounds like one of the earlier ones.

Yup early model probably if it has 240z bumpers. Also another good set off is turn signal location on the front of the car.

Early 260z's had 240z bumpers with the turn signals right below the headlights(like a 240z). Late 260z's had 280z bumpers with turn signals between the headlights(like a 280z).

Correction:

Early vs Late 260Z production is not "Early" and "Late"

Ive owned a 1/74 with big bumpers/catalyst equipped car from the factory and I still have a 9/74 small bumper/no catalyst car. Easy way to tell it was factory equipped is to look at the floor boards for he bulge and 280Z style seat mounting.

If that were the case then the big bumpers were early and the small bumpers were late...

Nissan pumped the 260Z out like crazy. If I remember correctly and feel free to correct me here, but Nissan Made more 260Z's stateside than all three years of production on the 240Z. Maybe it was worldwide not stateside on the 260Z. In any case, it doesnt really matter. My point is that Im sure and its only my personal speculation here, that Nissan had multiple factories/lines pumping these cars out to hit these production numbers. What I believe happened was that the planned catalyst/big bumper production was implemented earlier in one factory/line as they used up the earlier style parts before the other factories/lines had.

What I have not seen yet is a Federal model with big bumpers and no catalyst yet.

My 9/74 260Z is a great car. I like it as much as my 240Z. Overall the 260Z is actually easier to work on when compared to the 240Z. The car has 240Z suspension and the 280Z style stub axles. Its the best of both! And since the 260Z has such a bad rep Ive been able to pick them up for next to nothing. Nobody seams to care if your not a purist with the 260Z as well so no one will shove their noses up at you when you put something outrageous in the engine bay... Though I tend to shy away from such folks anyway.

So yeah, 260Z's suck; absolutely rubbish. Ill pick it up from your property for a nominal fee.

Said 9/74 Production car for example

100_0858.jpg

no floor humps, no big bumpers, 240Z style strut tubes, turn signals down low, etc

Edited by rayaapp2

Yep sounds like an Early 260Z, Nothing wrong with them that a weekend mechanic couldn't figure out. Really Condition of the car at this point should be your real factor. Emissions isn't going to be a problem regarless of if it's early or late 74' The 260 had a 2.6L L26 engine, which isn't much different than the 280 or the 240Z's so Getting it in running condition is a plus. In the end it's your money, and if the price is right and you like what you see then go for it. The only reason I'd ever argue for the 280Z is the safety aspects, but even then the differences aren't much.

Phar