HybridZ

Need pics of Subtle Z

stony

Well as the title says. I'm seriously considering using the Subtle Z rear 1/4 kit on my drag Z. i actually only need less then an inch to clear my rear tires. and on top of the my stock rear 1/4s are trash beyond repair. (too much bondo work)

So just like the title says Post any info on install, care, issues with after install and before and after pics as you can come up with. i have searched the web and all i ever come up with is the white Z on photo bucket and the blue one that is advertised on reaction-research.

Also MODS if there are any other threads out there with pics in them can we merge them in here. maybe we could also make a YZ thread where all thing YZ are posted.

Thanks

Stony

I think a lot of E Production cars use the subtle Z kit. If the above link doesn't give you what you need, check jmark's posts on classiczcars.com, as he has many high quality pics of gira's car posted there, from pretty much every angle on the track. A search here or there for E Production or Greg Ira or gira or jmark might get you some better results.

I don't have the SubtleZ rears but Johns YZ's on the back and SubtleZ fronts. John’s quality is very good and he is a professional when it comes to customer service. If this is a race car I'd suggest mounting them with DZUS fasteners. It makes installing them (and removing them for better tire and suspension access) a lot easier. If you want a seamless look you can bond them. The shop I used years ago used a 3M adhesive formulated for fiberglass to steel and I've had no cracking or separation, but I don't race the car. John uses a modified (improved) recipe for his resin now then when mine were made.

They will give you about 2" more tire width room. If you just need a little more room and you don't want "the big flare look" I would think they would be perfect for you. If this is a race car then add the convenience of the DZUS fasteners and it seems to me like a no-brainer. I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

"John’s quality is very good and he is a professional when it comes to customer service."

I second this statement, as John more than went out of his way to help me with some extra attention that I wanted to give to my front fenders. He was in town on two different occasions, picked up, performed the work and later delivered these back to me. He has great products and even better customer service, great guy.

I had him blend the headlight buckets and create a backing, or pocket for some bmw turn signals, so they don't just look like they are plopped on there. Wanted it to look as if it came from the factory that way.

post-736-097649000 1298228203_thumb.jpg

post-736-095629400 1298228263_thumb.jpg

post-736-022833300 1298228306_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

"John’s quality is very good and he is a professional when it comes to customer service."

I second this statement, as John more than went out of his way to help me with some extra attention that I wanted to give to my front fenders. He was in town on two different occasions, picked up, performed the work and later delivered these back to me. He has great products and even better customer service, great guy.

I had him blend the headlight buckets and create a backing, or pocket for some bmw turn signals, so they don't just look like they are plopped on there. Wanted it to look as if it came from the factory that way.

just strared at that picture trying to figure out what that green thing was next to the fender. thought it was a painting then i was thinking it was some kind of color test then i was like OH its a pool. :unsure:

Anyways since there dosnt seem to be any other pics of an install anywhere except the apbove link here are pics of my progress.

test fitting.

i was hoping there would be too much cutting but the upper piece of the 1/4 when in place didnt match up with the lines on teh bottom of the car. (my car problem. had lots of bondo)

post-71-0693203001301012677.jpg

post-71-0706418001301012679.jpg

post-71-0965880001301012678.jpg

post-71-0316992001301012678.jpg

Marking out what parts were to be cut out.

post-71-0073203001304831216.jpg

post-71-0995202001304831211.jpg

Once the edges were trimmed down it fit much better and all the lines matched up.

cid_E94230F9-CC40-4E8D-8E1E-433EAC14A305.jpg

cid_21FF01C6-0FBC-4B2A-B171-0E58670336D1.jpg

Fenders all cut out. this made teh body really weak back there but once we welded up the 1/4s to the inner tubs and attached the body to the cage in sever areas everything tightened up.

cid_FD0B5F76-24AF-4F5E-BDF7-26C70B0B27ED.jpg

cid_422D8E3B-63B7-4B7C-BFAC-0DA6E15F64C6.jpg

Subtlez 1/4s glued on with panel glue. its the stuff they use to glue corvettes together.

cid_20EB9F23-5728-4144-AD4C-D2D682736A1C.jpg

cid_0CA64220-769D-4110-853F-16F6DA212126.jpg

cid_224ADB7E-BD57-4FCB-928A-2F5356E91A7F.jpg

Headed to jordan till the 16th. nope to be ready for paint when i get back. more pics then.

Hey Stony,

Thanks for the update, and yeah that nasty green thing in the pic is a pool, or at the time a concrete pond brimming with lots of algae. Do you have a brand name for the panel glue you used. I have been researching some 3m two part adhesive, and am always open for suggestions, opinions, etc...

Unfortunately for me the next step of my build (blast,primer,seam seal, undercoat, apply subtle z panels, paint), is a very costly one requiring some serious savings. I'll enjoy your progress and use it as motivation.

• 5 weeks later...

Stony,

I am both happy and stoked for you getting to this point with progress and just a little envious in a good way. This just makes me want to work all the more harder at coming up with the funding for the next step. Congrats and keep the updates coming as they certainly help with motivation...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...