HybridZ

side mirrors

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have just restored a 1972 240z -- I need to select some side mirrors. I was going to put on the stock mirror (only left side mirrors are stock), but I decided I want a right-side mirror, too.

I want to stay in chrome, but I haven't the slightest idea where to look or buy. Any help out there? I guess bullet-shape is great, but I'm willing to consider anything...where are the suppliers??!! websites???!!

Thanks!

Since this site does not usually flame people for dumb stuff I will let you know what I did...O'Reilly's is like Autozone etc and they had a generic piece of crap chromed plastic mirror that has enough adjustment to work on either side so that you can have matched set of crappy mirrors. They do look at home and are almost weightless. I tried the same source black "accordian" looking mirrors but they has so little adjustment that they mounted at about a 45 degrees up angle. Upside, aside from cheap and available, is that the mount is small enough so if I change in future there is no big deal in covering old holes. john

I feel your pain. I looked long and hard for sideview mirrors and still didn't find exactly what I wanted.

Like you I wanted something functional. This meant mirrors on both sides and something where the mirror moves inside the stationary outer casing (so they don't get bumped out of position in parking lots). I also wanted good visiblity.

I eventually found a set at Motor Sport Auto (http://www.zcarparts.com/). They have a set that mounts to the window frame where wing windows use to be. They are square (which some people don't like), but they are solid, blend well with the body and offer excellent visiblity.

Not chrome, but the best mirror that I have found for an early Z is the 70-81 Camaro/Firebird bullet mirror. They are the same shape as the Z and mount to the door. Have to drill three holes on drivers side and two or three on pass. depending. All of the drivers mirrors are remote, cable adjusted, but only some of the passenger mirrors. You can even mount the remote adjuster into the doorpanel using the GM flat chrome bracket. Trick. I have them on my current and car and my last 240 as well. Note that GM used the same mirror housing on other cars, but the stalks are different. The F body stalk fits the best on the Z.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Very helpful.

Also, I keep thinking that, since Brits drive on the right side, there must be a right-handed version of the left-side stock z mirror. (A mirror image of the mirror, so to speak.) Haven't found it? Does it even exist?

Keep the suggestions coming though!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

S30,

If you get a set of these mirrors, DO NOT install them as per directions. They would come off the second time you slammed the door. Contact me and I'll send you what I did. Mark

you can maybe try a set of 69-74 bmw 2002 mirrors or sometimes you can find them on 80s bmw 320 series,,,they look similar to stock z mirrors but look much stronger and thicker. ill try to find a link to some pictures later.

Just was talking to Dan Juday this evening about mirror choices and I happened to menton that a private party is planning to consign for sale a brand new set of bullet style mirrors just like the one shown in this thread on the red car. Looking over MSA's catalog these appear to be the type with the 2 1/2" base. Dan recommended that I check out this thread about what I have for sale.

Anyone interested? If yes, please contact me ASAP to save me the task of preparing the photo ad for them on my website.

Eric Neyerlin - owner of ZPARTS.COM

parts@zparts.com