HybridZ

auto Climate control effects engine performance

madkaw

I've tried searching this several times, but haven't found someone with a similiar experience on their 81ZXT. Engine performs great under all conditions except when a selection on the auto climate control demands the use of the A/C compressor,i.e. defrost mode or a/c.

If I have any selection on the climate control other than economy, the engine will stumble badly around 3000rpm. I have checked all the vacuum lines that I can see and replaced all that I can get a hold of. The only ones that would be question would be in the dash. The second I turn the climate control off, the engine smooths out. Is this a vacuum problem or electrical I wonder. Anyone dealt with this issue?

Another member is trouble shooting the same issue and has replaced his AAC valve, but has yet tested this. I have removed this valve along with the EGR on my car.

It seems that "idling-up" function doesn't operate properly. Possible culprit would be one of these.

1. AC switch (It tells status of the AC compressor =ON or OFF= to ECU.)

2. AAC valve (It controls idling speed by the output from ECU.)

Anyway, I think the AAC valve shouldn't be removed as long as your car's engine management is in original condition.

UUMMMMMMM, that car for sale is mine :rolleyes:

Interesting what the AC switch directs the ecu to do when it's on. I don't really have an idling issue, it's just at the higher rpm around 3000rpm.

I suspect one of the vacuum pots under the dash or a one of the vacuum lines running to/from them under the dash

Another member is trouble shooting the same issue and has replaced his AAC valve, but has yet tested this. I have removed this valve along with the EGR on my car.

I was having a problem similar to madkaws. My 81 280ZXT lost power badly and stumbled upon acceleration especially above 3K RPM with the AC on. After hours of searching on this site and others I found threads that pointed to the AAC. I've replaced the AAC and I finally had a nice day to get her out of the garage and test my repair. I was pleased to find that in my case the AAC seems to have been the culprit. The loss of power and stumbling are no longer present with the AC engaged.

Edited by signal34

• 4 months later...

The ACC valve is right on top of the intake. In the picture below it is the tallest diaphram in the pic with the vacuum plug on it. You need to have that and a good working VCM( sits under the mass air sensor)

post-1083-096220800 1312926453_thumb.jpg