HybridZ

Best differential for RB S30s

DeLorean

I'm using a RB25det 5 spd with a 3:7 VLSD long nose diff. I could easily move up to a 3:9 or 4:11 and still be a cruiser on the freeway. My 3:7 is almost to low of a rear gear. At 70 mph in 5th gear, I'm at 2200 rpm or so...

I'd go at least 3:9. :2thumbs:

I am running the same exact setup as above, and before that I had an open 3.9:1 r200 and I must say I liked the 3.9 gears better.

Not to totally thread jack but RB26powered74zcar are you using the stock speedo? Im sitting at 2900 at 70mph with the GPS knowing my speedo is dead saying almost 90mph with a corrected speedo drive(the amount its off by is exponential by the speed its not like 5mph off all the time its all dependent on speed)! Im running 205/50R15 tires so maybe that is the discrepancy. Even like that I much prefer the 3.9 overall. Id love to try 4.10 or 4.11 gears.

can you put that ratio in a r230?

Yes you can. Well sort of. Richmond made a 4.11(or was it 4.08?) gear set for the R230 for the Z32TT crowd a while back. I think they stopped production early 2010. They are out there but It might cost you a few limbs or maybe a kidney to get a hold of one.

If someone put in the legwork they might be able to have a small run made for a group buy.

When I do my rear upgrade, I'll use the GT-R 4:11, the 6 bolt axles with MM billet 6 bolt companion flanges on the new stub axles I just bought. That is all I'll ever need for my use of the car, and I already have it all.

If I were looking to drag race it, I'd definitely be interested in a more bullet proof R230 set up, like the TechnoToyTuning kit.

Good luck though. You should be able to get others on board with you.

When I do my rear upgrade, I'll use the GT-R 4:11, the 6 bolt axles with MM billet 6 bolt companion flanges on the new stub axles I just bought. That is all I'll ever need for my use of the car, and I already have it all.

If I were looking to drag race it, I'd definitely be interested in a more bullet proof R230 set up, like the TechnoToyTuning kit.

Good luck though. You should be able to get others on board with you.

I agree with you Joel. I think you will like that setup and think the R230 setup is overkill for my needs: road racing and cruising. My setup is a little different. I am running an S30 with an RB30 which has a lot of torque relative to the shorter stroke RB20/25/26. My rear setup: CLSD 4.11 Long nose R200, bored out 280Z housing with Z31 stub axles/companion flanges and CVs with custom chromoly half shafts. My setup was designed for strength and ease of finding/replacing parts since is all factory parts. I am running the RB25 transmission and I think the 4.11 is too short. I could just as easily get away with a 3.7 CLSD. If I were running an RB25 or RB26 I would want the 3.9 or 4.11 and be leaning toward the 4.11.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Cal Poly Zmanaustin