HybridZ

90mm Gasket Coolant Holes

steve260z

Funny you should mention copper as not being easy to match port. The developmental gasket is custom ported and is just that: copper. It was a lot easier to port that than say, a multi-layer steel or even a stock gasket with print-o-seal rings.

But that Nissan Comp Gasket. That was frberous, and wasn't doing anything but sealing oil and water. The Gas-Rings sealed the combusion chamber.

The point being, if one were to port match the head to the block, cutting larger holes in the gasket in that case would be a snap. Like anything on the head, the block, the oil pump...if you want it to flow more, you need to make it flow, it doesn't come that way from the factory!

Nissan headgaskets.....the blue packaged ones are made in Oz buy a company called ACL for Nissan. The others "may" be directly from Japan but who knows?

I know, I've got too many hg's, and that's not all of them :o

Observation: All 3 gaskets shown have the same water passages; which is no different from the N42 gasket available here in the States.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread came along; it finally answered questions I've had for a long time :D

Funny you should mention copper as not being easy to match port. The developmental gasket is custom ported and is just that: copper. It was a lot easier to port that than say, a multi-layer steel or even a stock gasket with print-o-seal rings.

You are correct if you have an endmill or a punch and are running a thicker gasket. If your gasket is the thinner variety, and all you have a drill, you will most likely ruin the gasket trying to drill new holes in it. You could probably sandwich it between two pieces of aluminum or something to keep it from deforming. Any bending or warpage of the copper gasket will probably make it not seal very well.

You could probably sandwich it between two pieces of aluminum or something to keep it from deforming.

This is what the machinists at my work do to shape laminated shim stock. I plan to modify my N42 MLS gasket by clamping it between two pieces of hard wood and drilling holes in a progressive manner - small -> large.

• 3 years later...

Bumping this, there is so much misinformation going around,  this should be stickied,

I am trying to figure out what gasket to use with my p90/F54.  The gasket that came off and the Ishino/stone gasket I bought (p79 I believe) block off most of the ports on the spark plug side of the engine, being the "oem" gasket.   

Other than the 2 sentences stated in this thread: 

Question,

having the water holes on the exhaust side of the head ( less on the spark plug side), will this increase the amount of the water moving past that side of the head, and thus reducing the chance of spot boiling, and helping reduce heat faster ?

Nigel

I have not come across anything regarding those being blocked off.  Is this side of the engine the feed or drain portion?, as mentioned by TonyD,  which really matters where the restriction is. Understanding that the OEM is meant to block these ports off, the question is, will the older gasket benefit the head with opening up the spark plug side ports and will it seal with there being too many holes in the gasket?  (as verified by looking at pictures of the gaskets in relation to my head.)

Edited by SDgoods