HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

I used a generic LS2 starter off of ebay like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LQ4-LQ9-Starter-Camaro-Corvette-/300857740287

Clearance is tight, I used a cut-off wheel to trim the positive terminal down on two different installations.

Obviously, an LS1 (f-body type) style starter will not fit, the housing body is about 3/4+ inch longer than the LS2 style.

To remove/replace the starter, you need to unbolt the header and drop it down some so you can angle it out of the way.

If you have the starter bolted up before you installed the header, you will have to remove it to install the header. They go up together.

As-in: First, you slide the header up at an angle, then, squeeze the starter in there between the header and the engine, bolt the starter up, then, raise the header the rest of the way to where it belongs and bolt the header up.

Edited by atomp3

Any of you guys who have yours up and running now, who have done some track time (preferably a track day on a road course) want to comment on any issues you may have had with the chassis?  Cutting out the TC box section... Did you do anything to add material back to stiffen it up?  Would appreciate feedback on that and any heat related issues on the floorboards...

Mike

Mike, I've run many track days with the new headers. Only ssue I had was brake fade due to heat from the left header. I made a basic heat shield to keep the master cylinder & brake lines from the heat. Once installed, no issues. Keep in mind the T/C mod isn't really cutting but more trimming. Test them to determine how much you'll need to remove, mine was minimal.

Don't scrape up my headers-put some masking tape on them for test fitting, you wild brute!

Do you need the big rubber bushing on the TC rod since you are running the adjustable TC rod? Seems to me that you could remove the big rubber bushing and gain lots of header clearance.

• 2 months later...

Finally installed my LT headers. Driver side no issues, pasn side looks like it is hitting the starter so i will need to source a LS2 starter this week once that is done, I will have to take a closer look at the angle the outlet is pointing in for the pasn side. 

1966772_10152349413163900_989286338_n.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Having issues with mine on the driver's side hitting the steering linkage.  These headers fit tight enough and cause so much additional work, like having to re-route brake lines and other lines, that I'm not sure they will be worth it in the long run...  The steering linkage issue is really frustrating.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

PLEASE, I know I'm late to the party, but is there ANY way I can get a set of these? If someone could point me in the direction of a set or who to speak to about a set, that would be amazing. I'll check back to this thread, but if a PM would be great! 

Cheers,

Riley

• 2 months later...

I just tried to install my headers and I'm having problems with the driver's side. It is angled towards the transmission too much and I can't fit the transmission to the bell housing. Also the O2 sensor on the driver's side will hit the transmission as well, it should have been placed closer to 12:00. Has anyone had an issue like this?

post-14557-0-10002100-1406906570_thumb.jpg

The only issue with mine was the right side, we had to modify it slightly pointing it more toward the transmission.  Left side fit fine and no issues with the O2 sensor.  I do not, however, have the merge collectors as you do.  Blake is pretty active on Facebook, which may be the best way to contact him, although I'd hope he'd simply answer his phone...

The only issue with mine was the right side, we had to modify it slightly pointing it more toward the transmission.  Left side fit fine and no issues with the O2 sensor.  I do not, however, have the merge collectors as you do.  Blake is pretty active on Facebook, which may be the best way to contact him, although I'd hope he'd simply answer his phone...

I will try him on facebook as he is not returning my calls or answering my emails. Hopefully he knows why mine is different.

No issues at all. Both side fit perfectly. This is on a 78 280z with John's cars mounts.

That's odd, I have the same car as you with the JCI mounts as well. Maybe something got screwed up on the jig when he welded mine together.

• 2 weeks later...