HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

It is impossible for me to look at pictures of your car and not smile. Thanks for sharing, it is certainly motivating to keep working on mine. Hope to have it at the track next year sometime.

Tim

I sincerley thank you for your comment. When I think of all the money I have put in to this build I often stop and think of all the cars that are more reliable, faster, easier to drive, cheaper and less money to maintain. Then I get the feedback from people like yourself and when I'm at the track and it makes it seem like its all worth it.

Matt

Plus I never was that smart...........

Yea, I agree with Madovic. I think all of us have our own "vision" of what we want our cars to be, regardless of our ability to produce what we envisioned... Matt yours just looks amazing. I don't in general save other members pics to retain for pure viewing pleasure. But I've saved ever single beauty shot of your car at the track or outside of the shop. As David mentioned, I'd buy large prints of that car and put them in my collection of car art... It's just "THAT" nice and so well executed! Can't wait to see it in person.

Mike B)

Edited by Mikelly

Yea, I agree with Madovic. I think all of us have our own "vision" of what we want our cars to be, regardless of our ability to produce what we envisioned... Matt yours just looks amazing. I don't in general save other members pics to retain for pure viewing pleasure. But I've saved ever single beauty shot of your car at the track or outside of the shop. As David mentioned, I'd buy large prints of that car and put them in my collection of car art... It's just "THAT" nice and so well executed! Can't wait to see it in person.

Mike B)

It is certainly a compliment when someone is at the track and they appraoch and say how they think my car is really neat or beautiful and do I mind them taking pictures or something. It is entirely different when my fellow Z lovers who share the same passion as I do, and have for many years, share their thoughts or excitement over how the car brings back a vintage picture they all have in their mind and somehow even motivates them even more so in wanting to work harder with their own build so they too can sit behind that wheel and feel the reward of their hard work in the seat of their pants. I would have done it either way, but I assure you that I owe a huge debt to this wonderful forum known as Hybrid Z. Its cheaper than a therapist...........

I thank you for your comments and hope I can continue with this build and represent our love for the Z car. I will point out that it never gets old when after a race other drivers make it a point to come over to our camp and investigate a little closer. They all have the same line, "Damn, that cars fast as hell. How old is it?".

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on attending.

First of all I don't know what HPDE is, need to read up on that. Second my little SR20 still needs oiling system upgrades before it thinks about running on a track.

I look forward to seeing you there.

There are four levels of HPDE (high performance driving experience). If you are ever interested please just ask as I think you would have a great time on track. Its where anyone who ever desires to get on track and learn to eventually race or time trial there car begins.

Matt

I have been very pleased with the LS set up we did in the Z. I have found that I am busy working on the car in between the different races that I really miss getting out on track. I also dont like running it unless we are trying to test something. She just basically costs too much to have as a play toy. I figured that I needed to have a track car that I could get for cheap, be relativly maintenance free, cheap to fix, and fun to drive. I enjoy taking my friends to the track and riding them around.

So, I purchaced a '02 ZO6 Corvette. It is a fully stripped, balanced and prepped track car. I drove to Charlotte NC on Thursday eve, picked it up Friday morning, drove back that night, went to the track Saturday morning and had a blast all day. Going back tomorrow as well.

...............and she's fast.

Matt

post-13190-073587400 1341712950_thumb.jpg

I figured that I needed to have a track car that I could get for cheap, be relativly maintenance free, cheap to fix, and fun to drive. I enjoy taking my friends to the track and riding them around

Matt,

Thats funny. That is the reason that I built my z. Cheap, low maintence (if that is possible on a ttrack car) cheap to fix and fun to drive.

Enjoy the vette.

Mark

I've thought about buying a T1 car myself recently... Interesting...

Mike

I have been very pleased with the LS set up we did in the Z. I have found that I am busy working on the car in between the different races that I really miss getting out on track. I also dont like running it unless we are trying to test something. She just basically costs too much to have as a play toy. I figured that I needed to have a track car that I could get for cheap, be relativly maintenance free, cheap to fix, and fun to drive. I enjoy taking my friends to the track and riding them around.

So, I purchaced a '02 ZO6 Corvette. It is a fully stripped, balanced and prepped track car. I drove to Charlotte NC on Thursday eve, picked it up Friday morning, drove back that night, went to the track Saturday morning and had a blast all day. Going back tomorrow as well.

...............and she's fast.

Matt

I've thought about buying a T1 car myself recently... Interesting...

Mike

Mike,

Seriously, for the money I can't ever remember spending so little and having more bang for the buck. I got this car for $19,500 fully caged, balanced and prepped. Totally stock motor and suspension. I have already started the transformation into the track car I want it to be. Details later, wrong forum. I just cant help myself...........(I know a good friend that has one for 21k that is a great example of a C5ZO6 track car thats perfectly sorted and ready to go do hot laps tomorrow.)

I have been working on the Z and mounted a new diff cooler, trans cooler, hooked up my cool suit and cool suit helmet blower. Got the push to talk system installed. Got all the sensors installed and hooked up for the AIM data system. I had the Smarty Cam installed and integrated as well. I'm sure learning the data system will come in time, I've never had an AIM system and have always heard great things about it, so here we go. You remember us talking about the Go Pro and forgetting to turn it on or wrong mode. This system is soo cool that it is set up using a GPS system that if I leave the pits and hit the track the camera automatically turns on. If I enter the pits it shuts off. I love it already and dont even know how it works.

post-13190-045218100 1342240251_thumb.jpg

Very cool blend of an old school z car and 21 century tech. Hope to see it in person one day

Mark,

Thank you for the comments and we will meet in the near future. Your input has helped over the course of the build.

Attached a picture of the new helmet blower and smarty cam.

post-13190-027880200 1342297033_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful day at Atlanta Motorsprorts Park. The threat of rain, I guess, kept everyone away and I never complain about having the entire track to myself. Love it when I can set up shop right on the grid. Anybody out there that doesn't mind $250 for the day, hit me up and we can take your car to the track and get your skills on. I dont belong to any Z clubs or anything but I wish I could get a SouthEast Z group together for an outing. Next Vintage race for me is at Road Atlanta August 4th and 5th if anyone would like to come out and see the car on track.

Matt

post-13190-091194600 1343108820_thumb.jpg

The car looked great from Spectator Hill. I was so busy watching you scream down the straight that I missed seeing the 2nd place Porsche spin out!

Thank you,

Lots going on in the last few laps. The two Grand Am cup cars were one and two then the two corvettes and I were battling it out in a field of over 30 cars. Last lap the C6R spins out going into 3, can't wait to see the video of that, which left the door open for the C5 and I. I knew if I was on his bumper going into turn 7 I would have my best chance to get him down the back straight. Luckily we pulled it off and took 3rd overall, 1st in our division. 45 year old Datsun kickin some major ass.

Can't wait to take some pictures of the new splitter and undertray we have developed, It looks amazing. Was not able to use it this weekend as we haven't attached it to the underbelly yet. I'm putting side skirts and a wing on the back as well. At this point I can just about hang with the fastest cars out there, so I'm ditching the 45 year old aero, even though I love the way it looks, to try and place her first overall.

Also a side bar............One of the guys I race with, Clark Crawford, drives in the specZ class. He used to be the driver of the Fizelle Z back in the day. Always a great guy to talk to about the way they built the car from scratch. Today he remembered to bring the original build book from Brad Frizelle Racing. It is amazing to look at the design sheets and how they fabricated just about every part on the car. For example: The engine was lowered 1" back 4" and to the passenger side of the engine bay 2.5". Now think about all the engineering that went into getting everything from there back to work. I told him about our forum and how I'm sure there would be a lot of people, like me, that would enjoy seeing this build book. Complete with pictures of every phase. The book is signed by John Morten and Pete Brock. Hell I bet there are some things that could even be helpful and applicable today. The book even documents the restoration of the car where it now sits at the Bob Canepa showroom and can be yours for just $350K.

Thank you for everyone who came out to show there support.

Matt

post-13190-085962900 1344204504_thumb.jpg