HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

This year was a great year for the Z. We finally were able to take our hard work and R&D to the track and compete in a pro race series and have much success. This past weekend at Road Atlanta was our season ending Championship race. I am very pleased to say that the Datsun and I were able to take home the NASA SouthEast Pro Championship in our unlimited division. I have made more friends simply by them coming over to our camp after a session and them asking was that a Datsun that passed their IMSA cup car or Viper or Vette.....It's a great feeling of accomplishment and it does our beloved Datsun Z brand justice. She is tired and ready for her winter nap. Our next outing is in March. She has battle scars and wounds that will be tended to over the break but she'll come out lookin like a shiney penny.

I think she is the definition of HybridZ..........

Here are a few laps from the race. I put the camera down on the splitter and it gave it a real nice view.

Matt

Wow. Congratulations. You must be super proud. Loved the video, second best seat on the house.

Thank you.......

Here is an incar video with data overlay. This is from Sunday's charity race, its all for "fun". I dont think everyone at the racers meeting got that memo.............

Edited by cobramatt

Crazy! Thanks for posting that. Loved it. I can't imagine plunging into that dust cloud and just haning on not knowing if the mustang was gonna be stopped on the other side of it....and the braking from 150+ to 45-that has to generate some heat! Did that mustang rub you a little? I'd love to see a list of repairs required after a race like that -and that was short compared to the first video from the splitter.

I'll be up late tonight watching these over and over.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Crazy! Thanks for posting that. Loved it. I can't imagine plunging into that dust cloud and just haning on not knowing if the mustang was gonna be stopped on the other side of it....and the braking from 150+ to 45-that has to generate some heat! Did that mustang rub you a little? I'd love to see a list of repairs required after a race like that -and that was short compared to the first video from the splitter.

I'll be up late tonight watching these over and over.

The mustangs were all built by the guy in the red one. They are all seasoned dirt track guys. They have the money and dont mind repairing their cars after a race. I wish I had a rear facing camera as you could have seen the silver one on my bumper for the first lap. All three cars have 427 Roush Yates engines. After a good race every car usually has some battle scars. Sometimes its nothing but a bunch of tire rubber all over the car, some paint chips or a broken windsheild. Some times, like this time, I have body work to repair. The more I watch the footage the more I'm wondering if the Black car hit me on purpose as he does a real good job of blocking me but in my opinion there is no way he did not see me in turn 1. I have clear position on him and he turns into my front left fender. The wrap on the car is what held the flare on. When I go to pass him just after T5 he comes over on me pretty tight. I had my hands full keeping the car on the track going into T6 but I had to slam the door on him or he would have dive bombed me. I then had to make the pass on the red car in only one place where I could make it stick. 10a. It was the last lap and only one turn to go. He bumped me coming out of 10b and almost turned me around. After all is said and done you can see how he shows his appreciation of racing him hard. If you let me or any one of these guys push you off the track or intimidate you once, they will know you are going to give way and they will do it again and again. I took second place and loved every second of that race. If your going to win or be top three out of 37 cars you better be ready to pay attention.......and a little body work.

post-13190-0-30788600-1354597716_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-82384000-1354597733_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's why I'd better keep it real by staying with just solo events-I hate body work and while I expect Obama's tax hikes to target me directly I'm sure not made of money.  I think that is garbage that anybody would push a disposable Mustange into a historic vintage car.  I know that is racing, but I'm too romantic to see how anybody would do that.  Dirt track is a brawl, I thought roadracing was a little more respectful of the machine.

I also didn't know if I had posted this before but I knew you guys would get a kick out of it. I saw a trailer a while back with this done to it and said one day I would like to do that as well. The first week I had it my neighbor was walking his dog at night and called me and asked if I was in for the night. I said yes I was going to bed soon. He said he just wanted me to know I had left my trailer door open. I laughed and said "No Ed, its a picture of my car in the trailer on the door." He said, "I don't understand what your saying."       I said, "Its a wrap, a vinyl wrap of a picture of my car loaded in my trailer on my trailer door."      Ed........"I,m sorry Matt I just thought you ought to know your trailer door is open." I said thanks..........

post-13190-0-08507800-1354598645_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's why I'd better keep it real by staying with just solo events-I hate body work and while I expect Obama's tax hikes to target me directly I'm sure not made of money.  I think that is garbage that anybody would push a disposable Mustange into a historic vintage car.  I know that is racing, but I'm too romantic to see how anybody would do that.  Dirt track is a brawl, I thought roadracing was a little more respectful of the machine.

I appreciate your love for my car or any car for that matter. It's just racing. From F1 to Go Karts your gonna have close quarters, high speed, action. There is no way to avoid it.

I think that TT would be a great place for you to push the car to the limit and get track time at the best tracks in the country. In Time Trails people dont race each other they race the clock. Its all about who is fastest in your division. You get lots of seat time but you dont get the trading paint thing. There are really fast cars and lots of competition, its just a different kind of racing. You could also come out and work your way up through the HPDE system. If its seat time and as safe as conditions can get this is a great place to run. DE1-3 have a point by system. DE4 allows you to adhear a neon yellow 4 sticker to your bumper that signifies you dont require a point by as you have situational awareness and want things to be as close to the PRO race group as possible. Most of these people are aspiring to get into the NASA Pro racing circuit. 

Ha! That's funny. Don't you think that it might entice people to break into / steal the trailer though? I always figured that with an enclosed I'd leave it plain white, so potential thieves don't know what if anything is in there.

"I think she is the definition of HybridZ.........."

The rolling embodiment of what this site is about for me, anyway. 

Ha! That's funny. Don't you think that it might entice people to break into / steal the trailer though? I always figured that with an enclosed I'd leave it plain white, so potential thieves don't know what if anything is in there.

"I think she is the definition of HybridZ.........."

The rolling embodiment of what this site is about for me, anyway. 

It certainly went through my head whether or not someone would try and break in with the picture on the back. I dont store the car in the trailer and leave the trailer unsecured ever, so we will see. I wonder if I had done a picture of an empty trailer a thief would leave it alone. My trailer is insured by Smith and Wesson anyways. 

There's a reason that NARRA and a couple of other clubs are now changing their contact rules.  Matt that was pretty blatant on both instances.  If this was pro-racing, I'd be all for it,  But it's amature and everybody goes back to their real jobs on Monday.  I'd have been more than a little upset over the contact.

Mike

There's a reason that NARRA and a couple of other clubs are now changing their contact rules.  Matt that was pretty blatant on both instances.  If this was pro-racing, I'd be all for it,  But it's amature and everybody goes back to their real jobs on Monday.  I'd have been more than a little upset over the contact.

Mike

Noted.........

I actually did not think it was as blatant as it actually was until I watched the tape two days after I got home. When it happened on the track it was the blink of an eye and I dont mind hard racing as I'm gonna race you just as hard. I just remebered that when I went to pass him out of T5 he came over on me pretty good and I nearly lost it going into T6. That was the part that I felt was a little much. I looked over and we almost touched, the tape doesnt do it justice. After I looked at the tape I started thinking Damn.....he turned into me and had to have seen me. Hell he knew I was behind them all the time so its not like I just popped out of nowhere and surprised him. I'll let my race director decide whether he wants to take the video to the powers that be. Its past us and it wasn't like he put me in the wall. I'm a believer in Karma and if it was intentional then he will get paid back in his own way. 

Just got the Corvette back from paint and Vinyl............This is the one I put in the wall and had to re build. I'm taking a 100% race car and turning it into a track / street car. One that I can drive to the track, have fun and drive home. My Datsun is way too high maintenance to do track days. What do you think?

Matt

post-13190-0-21645600-1354759652_thumb.jpg

Badarse, Matt... Love it.  I still think these are the bargain HP racecar of the decade.

Mike

Corvette C5 fully caged and ready to go $20 -$24K. Buy it, put gas in it, put it on a trailer, take it to the track, race it........ Best deal going. I still have work to do on this but its coming along nicely.

On another note........I had my windshield broken in three places this past weekend in the race. I wanted to replace it with a nice Lexan piece. I asked a friend of mine if he knew of anybody. They have a Rolex Grand Am team and order quite a few. He gave me a number of SHIELDS windscreens in Indiana. 800-554-7527. I didnt think they would have a 240Z lexan windshield but maybe they would know someone who did. Called them and told them what I had. The person asked me what was the address I wanted it shipped to. That easy.......They have the mold and they will make it and ship it out, I'll have it in two weeks. It was I think around $450. $30 shipping. 32#'s to 10#'s. I Like......

Matt

How do you like the new Bob Sharp wrap on the golf cart? 

post-13190-0-95002400-1354840490_thumb.jpg