HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Matt, I understand that Z1 Motorsport is holding the big gathering at AMP in October. Will you be going? If that is on your schedule, I may try to make that happen as my next trip to AMP. I don't really want to get into traffic at AMP with all the yea-whos with out you with me to instruct. I would plan to have brake ducting and mirrors. What do you say?

I'm good with that. Are Z Nationals there this year? I need to check as we have always had it at Barber in past years. AMP would be good for all the Z guys. My car wont be able to run there due to db but I will at least take it for everyone to see.

Yep, Oct 10-11 according to the ZNationals website.  I'll start working on wearing Mrs. Thompson down and will register as soon as she starts to break down and starts twitching uncontrollably.  I will bring that tail-pipe silencer they issued me last year.  If your car is too loud for AMP, where will you do all your R&D?  Double check your calendar and don't worry about whether you can run your Z or not-I'm sure you would out-corner, out-brake, and out-power me if you were only wearing roller skates.  And you know that I would pay to have you instructing from either seat of my heap.

I'll try to make that one as well...

Keith and Mike,

Lets try and get everyone within reasonable distance to make this one. I am very good friends with the Z1 guys and anything I can do to help them I will do. Lets get a Hybrid Z contingency there and on track.

• Like 1

Glad you are into it! Was worried you might have a big race somewhere else that day. I haven't looked at the event schedule, but I wonder if maybe we could come down a day early or stay a day late for some less crowded instruction time? Will go over schedule with wife and need to make reservations at the B&B ASAP.

OK, here's the Z Nationals basic schedule.

Thurs     Oct 9:    Dawsonville Comfort Inn-track day tech inspections 6-9pm (interesting-tech inspections in the dark?)

Fri        Oct 10:    7am-5pm-Track day at AMP in Dawsonville, GA

Sat       Oct 11:    9am-5pm-Show/Dyno Day at Z1 Motorsports in Carrolton, GA

Got the OK from family to do the weekend, so I'm in, although I'd like to skip the Thursday night flashlight tech inspection so I can work in the office part of Thursday (6 hour drive).  There is a brief tech inspection scheduled for Friday before the drivers meeting.  The Friday track day will be a parade enough for me, so I would try to support the B&B at AMP, just need to finalize our game plan.

Matt, what are the chances of getting some hybridz-only track time on Sat, or maybe Sunday (second choice)?  I will have seen enough modern, customized hellaflush hardware with tinted windows and fat tailpipes by about 7:01 on Friday to miss the Saturday show, and I've already been on the dyno enough to satisfy my curiosity.  But, instructor track time-that's the bomb.

OK, here's the Z Nationals basic schedule.

Thurs     Oct 9:    Dawsonville Comfort Inn-track day tech inspections 6-9pm (interesting-tech inspections in the dark?)

Fri        Oct 10:    7am-5pm-Track day at AMP in Dawsonville, GA

Sat       Oct 11:    9am-5pm-Show/Dyno Day at Z1 Motorsports in Carrolton, GA

Got the OK from family to do the weekend, so I'm in, although I'd like to skip the Thursday night flashlight tech inspection so I can work in the office part of Thursday (6 hour drive).  There is a brief tech inspection scheduled for Friday before the drivers meeting.  The Friday track day will be a parade enough for me, so I would try to support the B&B at AMP, just need to finalize our game plan.

Matt, what are the chances of getting some hybridz-only track time on Sat, or maybe Sunday (second choice)?  I will have seen enough modern, customized hellaflush hardware with tinted windows and fat tailpipes by about 7:01 on Friday to miss the Saturday show, and I've already been on the dyno enough to satisfy my curiosity.  But, instructor track time-that's the bomb.

I checked the members schedule and it is showing that there are private events for Fri. Sat and Sun. I am not sure that there is any way to get on track if the track is closed for private functions. Lets check to see who is at Road Atlanta that weekend.

Matt

Ok. Then I'm up for only the AMP activities and I willl do Friday track day only and trailer home on Sat. If you can, call me this Sat or Sun to tell me what a Z Nationals track day is like (how much to expect) and I will start promoting the day to my V8 buddies in North Alabama and Tennessee. If something turns up at Atlanta, Talledega or Bham for track time that weekend let me know. I will also do a quick check on drag strips in the area for either some Friday or Sat drag racing for anybody who leans that way (I can turn both ways, and go straight-haha). I'm just not a good enough sitter for a traditional "look at my car" car show. Sorry to put this stuff in your thread, but it's the most reliable way to get you without interrupting a testing or research session with a phone call. I will try to book my lodging before Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked a room at the B&B across the street from the track.  Racer's Rest Bed and Breakfast (706) 265-6304.  Only 2 remaining rooms available as of this morning.  This B&B is a great little secret-the owner has a track key and will let you park your trailer/car at the track the night before so you can just walk over after breakfast to attend the driver's meeting.  I booked for Thursday, Oct 9 and Friday, Oct 10.  Will head home on Saturday morning unless I find something else fun to delay me.

I just booked a room at the B&B across the street from the track.  Racer's Rest Bed and Breakfast (706) 265-6304.  Only 2 remaining rooms available as of this morning.  This B&B is a great little secret-the owner has a track key and will let you park your trailer/car at the track the night before so you can just walk over after breakfast to attend the driver's meeting.  I booked for Thursday, Oct 9 and Friday, Oct 10.  Will head home on Saturday morning unless I find something else fun to delay me.

Sounds like a plan. Lets get Mike down for this get together.

Keith and Mike,

Lets try and get everyone within reasonable distance to make this one. I am very good friends with the Z1 guys and anything I can do to help them I will do. Lets get a Hybrid Z contingency there and on track.

Are you going to the show also or just the track day?

Matt, Any updates on your build?? Mine is dragging because I am living life and doing other things lately...

Mike,

I appreciate you checking. Its in paint and body as we speak. Motor is back together with the upgrades. Tranny is back together from a break down, clean and inspect. I was able to meet with Leh Keen yesterday and go over the car. He's a good friend and has helped with his input over the years and knows the car well. He was very appreciative in all the changes and was really looking forward to seeing it back out on track. He has helped me in the past in testing, (note: always accept the assistance of a multiple Grand Am champion if they are offering help). He said when the time comes he would like to see what it can do as well if I needed help. 

It will be at Classic Livery of Atlanta for another few weeks, then back to MTI to put her internals back together, off to get her new wrap, then testing.

That being said.................means I dont have a ******* clue as to when I'll have her back. I am really hoping to do the UTCC at VIR with her. Thats really pushing it though.