HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

• 2 weeks later...

Great news............

I purchaced a T56 PPG Dogring transmission today for the Datsun. I am planning on driving out of state to pick it up Sunday. This will mean that I will have a TKO600 for sale if anyone is interested. I am eventually going to try and upgrade to our MTI full sequential transmission and this gets me halfway there, I just dont have $25k for a tranny right now. The dogring is half that and I was able to buy one from a race buddy who wrecked his car in our last race and he has decided to buy a completely new car and part the old one out. He posted the tranny and I bought it along with an extra clutch for the Vette within 5 hrs of his post. I really got a deal. Thanks to my crew chief John Brown for keeping his ears to the ground and alerting me as soon as he heard of its availability. 

Waiting on the carbon fiber fenders and g nose to be able to plot our mounting points and map our geometry for the front clip. Im excited to be cutting the g nose and hood right down the middle and widening the car by 3 inches. I really think it will help the footprint stability of the car greatly. 

Upgrading the intake and throttle body upon re installation.

Received the first of the new Carbon Fiber body panels today. 

WOW........

The fender weighs 3 lbs.

Now were cookin' with gasoline.........

We were about to chop the front off and start on the front tube clip when we had a brilliant idea. How about lets send the car to the frame shop and have them put it on the big expensive machine that determines if the rest of the chassis is straight before we spend all this time and money building something new that is based on bent geometry. Its sometimes the most obvious things that get overlooked in any build and even some of the best, not implying that I'm one of the best but I've built a few, suffer from the same issues. 

post-13190-0-64025000-1389887377_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-13194000-1389887384_thumb.jpg

We were about to chop the front off and start on the front tube clip when we had a brilliant idea. How about lets send the car to the frame shop and have them put it on the big expensive machine that determines if the rest of the chassis is straight before we spend all this time and money building something new that is based on bent geometry. Its sometimes the most obvious things that get overlooked in any build and even some of the best, not implying that I'm one of the best but I've built a few, suffer from the same issues. 

That's a great plan.  I built a perfect tube frame replica of a bent car once.   had thought since all the body lines were straight and the car drove nice it was okay.  Always measure first.  Never will make the mistake again.

I'm also very curious about the panels and the roof.  Would love to know how much weight that can drop.

Cary

Matt called me the other night and I was sick as a dog, but didn't want to say "Hey I feel like ass can we talk later?" because I haven't heard from him in so long... Man those things look sooooo nice... Really can't wait to see the newly transformed machine!!

Those are slick!  Can't wait to see the new roof.

I am axious to see the roof as well. Since my car has the cage I am not worried about this being structural. If the car didn't have such an extensive cage this roof would not work. It will however in this application, I believe drop more weight than any other item I'm replacing on the car. I have an exact weight prior to transformation so we will see the exact savings in the finished product.

That's a great plan.  I built a perfect tube frame replica of a bent car once.   had thought since all the body lines were straight and the car drove nice it was okay.  Always measure first.  Never will make the mistake again.

I'm also very curious about the panels and the roof.  Would love to know how much weight that can drop.

Cary

I knew there would be someone who could relate to how something this important could easily get overlooked. I'm so focused on how the build is going to come together and the timeline, It never even crossed my mind. I'm glad I have other people around me. My 24 year old fabricator at the shop is the one who said, "Don't you think we should make sure the rear of the chassis is straight before we build the front clip"? The rest of us sat there and looked at each other..........

Makes me want to go smash my car into a wall....

I guess those will wind up getting painted (?), such a pity

Don't go and smash your car into the wall just to get new fenders. Start racing and you'll hit the wall eventually I assure you. Come to think of it, I almost put your car in the wall last time I drove it.

I will be wrapping the car in Vinyl like I did before. It is cheaper (their one of my sponsors) and easy to fix. I do however admit that paint would be slightly lighter.......... 

Matt called me the other night and I was sick as a dog, but didn't want to say "Hey I feel like ass can we talk later?" because I haven't heard from him in so long... Man those things look sooooo nice... Really can't wait to see the newly transformed machine!!

I want you to come down and be part of the team at The Mitty.

One thing I thought I would throw out there for anybody who is in need of a racesuit. I have recently aquired a new "partial" sponsorship with AXCEL Sports. Look up their Facebook page to see their stuff. I was very impressed with their operation and I had them do race team shirts for MTI Racing that turned out great. I am having them currently make 5 new custom race suits for the team drivers. These are top of the line SFI 5 Sateen Nomex suits. They are made custom based on your own measurements from a tailor. If you wanted a suit like this it would retail for $2,300. Under our sponsorship deal they are making these suits for us for $1,150 a piece. You can certainly go and get a race suit for $500 off the shelf that is perfectly suitable for most all applications. I just wanted to extend this offer to anyone who might want something like this at a major cost savings. If anyone is interested just let me know.

MTI Driver Suits copy.pdf

Edited by cobramatt

If I recall, my sorry car tried to put us both into a wall, and I'm very glad you were the one driving. With a novice (me) at the wheel there might have been an ugly accident. Hoping to help out at Barber once this year if I can get free when you are down there. Maybe I can record tire temps or something like that.