HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Arrrgh! I planned a trip to Punta Cana the weekend of the Mitty.  I guess I won't make it this year.  Should have checked my calendar first.  :(

Also, I probably would have taken you up on the suit offer a year ago, but I just bought a pretty nice OMP suit.

If I recall, my sorry car tried to put us both into a wall, and I'm very glad you were the one driving. With a novice (me) at the wheel there might have been an ugly accident. Hoping to help out at Barber once this year if I can get free when you are down there. Maybe I can record tire temps or something like that.

I sent you the schedule and would love to have you around for the races. We'll put you to work........

You really need to plan to come to the Mitty. It's really fun to see all the historic race cars on track. There will be numerous 510's and Zcars racing.

Arrrgh! I planned a trip to Punta Cana the weekend of the Mitty.  I guess I won't make it this year.  Should have checked my calendar first.  :(

Also, I probably would have taken you up on the suit offer a year ago, but I just bought a pretty nice OMP suit.

My friends and I have done a few great golf vacations there and if I wasn't actually in the race I would rather be there than here............good call.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still hoping for a Valentines Day performance that will prove worthy of letting me drive back down to Barber in the morning. I ain't afraid to cheer for a guy driving a Corvette! If it has pistons and fat rubber, Im all about it. Never been to Barber and want to see the man in person. Let me know of you cancel the trip so I can sleep in and earn a few more points on the home front.

Mocking up engine and tranny today. T56 was to big for the tunnel so we made room by just cutting it out on top and will fab a new one. Measurements look good for cross member and motor mounts. Having to play with the passenger side mounting points due to the fact I now have a new starter location. It is no longer internal. I can tell that the passenger side header is going to have to be custom or magic, due to no room and clearance issues, the fuel pump, starter, lower frame rail and motor mount are ALL thats in the way........other than that it fits perfect.

I have decided based on our last wind tunnel test a few weeks ago, of two of our Corvette Race cars that widening the front end will be counter productive due to drag. Widening the footprint is a must for handling and we are widening the stance front and rear by 4 inches. We are lengthening the wheelbase by 2 inches as well. Our new length of wheelbase is 94 inches compared to a stock of 90.7.

Our wind-tunnel testing showed that a widened front nose and fenders lost 9.8MPH at 150MPH due to the added drag trying to punch a hole through the air. We then found that a nose fascia that was stock but the flares were extended over the widened wheel base lost virtually no speed and created very little drag. Thus I will be adding to the width of the flares over the tires, which also lets me add a touch of strength and rigidity. The plan on widening the g nose and hood are now unnecessary. I also am very happy to report that our side skirts were hugely successful and created almost no drag and increased downforce considerably. I have known this on my Datsun due to actual road course testing at high speed but never had seen the wind tunnel reports. The feedback from my Butt matched the wind tunnel reports exactly.....

I am sure you understand but please dont ask for any of the actual numbers from the wind tunnel. 

Also something very exciting is that the engine is 100% behind the front wheel hub center and by definition that makes this a mid engine car.

More to come...........

post-13190-0-31174900-1391650474_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-67275700-1391650479_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-48172300-1391650485_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-23724900-1391650490_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

I will try to get there by 8am.  Will spend as much time as I can and will bring a helmet.  That C7 is the sequential?

I will not be driving the C7 as I am racing my C5 and cant do the joy ride thing when I have a race but my partner and MTI President Reese Cox will be driving. I can get you a seat if your interested. We are treating some of our loyal customers and "potential" customers to some good times.........You fit in that category. I thought you had a conference and Valentine's Day duties??? The C7 does not have a sequential gearbox. We have installed our new aero package (wing, splitter, undertray, side skirts), our coil overs, sway bars, shock tower brace, and some other stuff. All made in house at MTI Racing. 

I'm wearing her down and buttering her up.  I think I'm making progress.  But, instead of sleeping in B'ham Friday night and coming to the race Saturday, I think I'm going to come home 2 hrs from my conference, spend a couple hundred on dinner, and drive back down in the morning.

I also am very happy to report that our side skirts were hugely successful and created almost no drag and increased downforce considerably. I have known this on my Datsun due to actual road course testing at high speed but never had seen the wind tunnel reports. The feedback from my Butt matched the wind tunnel reports exactly......

You have any pics, dimensions, mounting details, etc you would be willing to share?

Thanks

Cameron