HybridZ

jtr Motor/ transmission mount?

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows what motor mounts/trans mount are to be used with the jtr conversion. Im currently doing a Chevy 350 swap in my 78 280z. The motor is a 4 bolt main 350 out of a 69'. I'm using a T5 tranny. now in the jtr manual it stats to use motor mounts chevy # 3990332 65-72 chevy trucks and for the t5 tranny use chevy part # 475940 77-82 caprice.I am having a hard time finding these part numbers online and was wondering if anyone knows where i can find motor mounts/ trans mount that will work with the jtr kit????????????????? thanks, Keith

I just went to the local parts store for engine mounts. Just tell them you need engine mounts for a 1970 Chevrolet C10 with a 350 in it.

This is what it looks like....

wsem2282_updated.jpg

Alternatively .....

Rockauto carries them for under $4 a piece.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=226835

1971 CHEVROLET C10 PICKUP 5.7L 350cid V8 (E) : Engine : Motor Mount

WESTAR Part # EM2282

Engine Mount Front 1/2 TON

$3.53

just bolt it up use good bolts not that cheap #2 grade stuff,I got bolts that would fill the depth of the threads on the alum. plates. do what the book advises on the motor mounts and you will be "golden".

The JTR book tells you how, but you really need to "KNOW HOW" to do stuff.

• 5 months later...

I made mine out of 2x2 square tubing and 1/4in sheet metal for the motor mounts and parts off the factory mounts and the tranny was 1x1 square tubing with all grade 8 bolts. I didn't even touch jtr crap or see any of that crap. I don't like the jtr kit and where it places the motor and stuff. I think the motor sits way to far out and up in the engine bay with that kit. Its super simple to make the mounts and stuff for the swap yourself. Save yourself the money and just go get some throw away metal and make them yourself

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing.... he posted pics of his setup in the following thread.....

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103099-v8-horse-power-quarter-mile-et-times/

His mounts look like they put the engine in almost the exact same spot as JTR mounts.

Their not a particularly complex design, and for the price, the JTR engine mounts aren't bad at all.

Edited by 280zcar

355dat dude. WTF are you babbling about? Jtr kit is hard to beat. Pics plz mr man.

He must have mounted the "setback" plates going backward instead forward on the engine block--yes, that would certainly put the engine "far out and up in the engine bay" :P

It has been done before, but the only guy that admitted it was humble about it and just put them in the correct position. Problem solved.

The JTR kit is hard to beat to be sure.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe 355datsun280z is confusing JTR with the Scarab conversion.

I wanted to make my own, but after I dropped the motor and trans is there on jacks I decided to go the prefabbed route.

I'm a decent welder but I'm no match to keep up with CNC'd aluminum look. $100 well spent.

Anyone ever heard a HP rating on these? Just curiosity.

I don't like the JTR trans mount. I built my own and one for a buddy of mine and it came out much nicer (my mount stays completely under the trans tunnel and mounts to the tunnel, not to the floor board).

The engine JTR engine mount stuff is ok, but easily made yourself. (like most parts in the kit).

It comes down to how much access and ability do you have with shop tools, if you buy the kit or not.

• 4 weeks later...