HybridZ

differential mount weight plate???

Just a quick question, I did a search and nothing came up.

Anyway, on my car when I bought it, it came with this weight that was attached to the diff mount. It kind of looks home made so I wasn't sure why it was there.  I went and looked at another Z today (I caught the bug, but didn't buy it, it's on phx craigslist 77 280z with a LS1, don't waste your time, complete rust bucket and the LS1 is just placed in there, no mounts nothing), I looked under the car and sure enough, this car had one as well.

I have no clue why it would be there other than maybe a skid plate to protect the exhaust? Is that all this is for or does it serve a purpose?

Edited by whatnow123

My '75 has it too. About 3/8" thick steel rectangle with two corners cut off. I took it off to clean up some stuff and now I'm debating if I want to put it back on. I'm curious to see if anyone else knows its purpose.

Yeah, mine has one too,  Never figured what it was for.  I'm replacing the diff with a 350z LSD anyway, so I was just going to throw it in the recycle bin. Not sure what it could be for. the Diff experiences much more massive forces than it could counterweight. so who knows..?  Wait, where's Wiki-D he'd know certainly...