HybridZ
zredbaron

NA 3.1L=>head & camshaft questions. No shortcuts, max

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, munters said:

A question where did you find the throttle lever with a hole (screw through) and idle adjustement for the left carb side?

Thanks Marcel

Hi Marcel. I'm not sure I'm following you. 

I do have custom throttle levers with a set screw. The purpose is to hold position throttle arm angle on the round throttle bar, and not slip. Metal tabs were welded and tapped, and then the arms were custom coated to match OEM Weber.

They do not have adjustments for idle. Idle speed is controlled by the carburetor idle speed screws (1 per carb) and the adjusting the lengths of the connecting links between the custom throttle levers and the carburetor throttle.

It isn't the best design / best welds. I broke one of the welds too easily. Very disappointing after all that effort. Now it all has to come off and be resynched...FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e91783af7cb39440ec19d201c730cfa1.jpgIMG_4268.thumb.JPG.17998ef56dc3bf859b8d1148433071ba.JPGIMG_4372.thumb.JPG.63860832c9e277a991c44a28c9d43f36.JPGIMG_4985.thumb.JPG.f201b1347e6571c902ba9c0961c468b5.JPGIMG_4986.thumb.JPG.c068a8eda61d3babdaf200ca18058fbe.JPG

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rustler753 said:

Really looking forward to the data you are willing to share. I am heading towards a new setup with 38mm or 40mm chokes on my weber 45s so I am very curious about all your jet settings. I asked early about a few things like your idle jets but I'd love a bigger picture to see the direction you went with each jetting option we have available. 

Prior to my velocity stack hacks, I would have advised the 40mm venturis exclusively for drag/road racing (38mm for all else).

If you are ok with the coin required to upgrade and possibly partially/fully mod your intake parts (three options), you will not be disappointed by 40mm venturis fitted with 47-49mm ID stacks.

I apologize for being vague. (I want to make sure I have my notes in front of me.)

My dyno date was rescheduled, not due to my schedule. So it goes. I'm not sure when the reattempt will be. I'm racing almost every weekend until October, so it might have to wait until fall. I don't remotely lack for torque or power, so it won't impact my racing as much as a throttle cable upgrade might.  :2thumbs:

I've been carrying around a folder with pages of my jet settings. I need to organize it and figure out how to best present the highlighted data.

I'll deliver.

Edited by zredbaron
Parenthetical Details

21 hours ago, zredbaron said:

Prior to my velocity stack hacks, I would have advised the 40mm venturis exclusively for drag/road racing (38mm for all else).

If you are ok with the coin required to upgrade and possibly partially/fully mod your intake parts (three options), you will not be disappointed by 40mm venturis fitted with 47-49mm ID stacks.

I apologize for being vague. (I want to make sure I have my notes in front of me.)

My dyno date was rescheduled, not due to my schedule. So it goes. I'm not sure when the reattempt will be. I'm racing almost every weekend until October, so it might have to wait until fall. I don't remotely lack for torque or power, so it won't impact my racing as much as a throttle cable upgrade might.  :2thumbs:

I've been carrying around a folder with pages of my jet settings. I need to organize it and figure out how to best present the highlighted data.

I'll deliver.

Absolutely no worries, I am a patient man.

Our motor setups are similar, but I have been finding upper end power a little lacking with my 36mm venturis so its exciting for me to do a comparison between the two. I have been planning for some time for an exhaust/intake update so the more data I have the better. You put it well; there is certainly a lot of coin involved if you are going through all the jet settings so I want to try to get it right. Only major glaring difference I see between your testing environment and mine is elevation as I am at 5,000 ft up so I will definitely keep that in mind when you present your data. 

@zredbaron

Sorry to be a bother, but I have been messing with tuning my Z recently and was hoping I could reference some data you have gathered. It's been a few months since I asked so I figured I would check back in and see if you would be willing to divulge what you have learned and data you gathered during your trials with chokes, jetting settings and velocity stack tryouts. 

Bah! My apologies good sir. I burnt myself out trying to keep the car in working order and finishing the racing season.

Tell you what... PM me and we can coordinate offline / phone call that way you aren't waiting for my presentation! No one wants that. 

I haven't forgotten and still plan on at least one dyno session this year with some of the data that I didn't collect last time. Evidently L6 intake data remains high on my list to contribute to the S30 community!